RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Taaxi

Off to Flemington

Six of us off to Flemington for the Turnbull (and Moonee Valley the night before.) for my 50th. Never been to either course before. Does anyone have any hints that may be useful?

Just now, Taaxi said:

Six of us off to Flemington for the Turnbull (and Moonee Valley the night before.) for my 50th. Never been to either course before. Does anyone have any hints that may be useful?

Take your binoculars to Moonee Valley..... that's if you want to watch them when they're on the the back straight.!!

11 hours ago, Taaxi said:

Both easy trips from Flinders Street Station. One of things I enjoy on course in Aussie is   in general the tie up stalls are on display to public , with seats and in Flemington's  case set around the beautiful pre parade ring.Almost like they want the riff raff like me to get close to these equine beauties  . They have the names displayed  so you know who's who and stall number displayed in racebook list anyway.They normally have a few old legends there as well , see old Efficient getting whiter by the year or Apache Cat .I always head there before the first , and it's a real chance to get close to Winx if she runs as planned in a slightly less crowded area. 

12 minutes ago, Memphis2 said:

See if you can get a food drink seat package for that day. Not as expensive as the big days

Also don't listen to any of the experts. Back Winx just to get your confidence up. 

Definitely go by train. 

I thought I was clever and backed Humidor last year at the Turnball  but was happy to tear up my ticket after witnessing one of the best sights lve ever seen on a racecourse. Everyone just stood and clapped , poetry in motion worth many times the entrance price for a race fan  but don't tell Flemington bean counters. 

22 hours ago, Shad said:

Just like Riccarton. 

George Simon called at Riccarton on one of those commentators days - a long time ago.

I can remember him saying when the field was running off the back at the start of the big bend or perhaps at the 1200m start that "he didn't go that far on his holidays" Brilliant.

17 hours ago, chelseacol said:

George Simon called at Riccarton on one of those commentators days - a long time ago.

I can remember him saying when the field was running off the back at the start of the big bend or perhaps at the 1200m start that "he didn't go that far on his holidays" Brilliant.

In that case he will need to take his Ali Express  pocket sized Hubble Space telescope if he ever gets a commentators gig for the Cesarewitch Handicap  at Newmarket at Autumn time , literally miles away at the start , starts in  Cambridgeshire and finishes in Suffolk and technically run on two racecourses. 

Newmarket a pure test of a horse and great viewing for final 600 metres the rest a moving dot on the landscape.

RR, our friend was the Mayor of Newmarket, horse trainer extraordinaire, Mr John Berry, he rode the winner of the Town Plate a few years back, the lovely Kadouchski.....johnberryracing.com.......there is no greater racecourse, no lovelier raceday than Newmarket July Cup, other than the Guineas Day, Rowley Mile.......too much palaver at Royal Ascot, however the race callers that have the job on those huge expanses known as UK racecourses are to be applauded...the monitor helps of course, but in most cases they run straight at you for 1 mile or more.....priceless.

34 minutes ago, La Zip said:

RR, our friend was the Mayor of Newmarket, horse trainer extraordinaire, Mr John Berry, he rode the winner of the Town Plate a few years back, the lovely Kadouchski.....johnberryracing.com.......there is no greater racecourse, no lovelier raceday than Newmarket July Cup, other than the Guineas Day, Rowley Mile.......too much palaver at Royal Ascot, however the race callers that have the job on those huge expanses known as UK racecourses are to be applauded...the monitor helps of course, but in most cases they run straight at you for 1 mile or more.....priceless.

John Berry's  name been in the racebook a good  few years, yes LZ a very good dual purpose trainer, not many Newmarket trainers have jumpers. I mentioned the town plate in St Leger thread,  started 1660s , Newmarket sausages the prize , and no signs  of it not being run, in fact I think it's become more  sort after by some new money owners.All want  a slice of history. 

Used to drive up to Newmarket to get out the smoke as a treat a few mornings a year then to races after. As you know it's the horse first there and strings of perfectly presented horses and work riders going up the beautiful  gallops on a misty morning , it's pretty good. Had the odd trip to Tatts yearling sales , always a good watch as the currency counter zips round Sheikh's v Coolmore.

Backed horse once in the Cesarewitch, The Refrigerator,  100 to 1 trained by trainer of mainly sprint  handicapers, 7st 7lbs. This horse was named after the huge NFL player popular at the time, this horse was only slightly smaller than the ancient trojan horse. After 4 furlongs the leader ducked out  at the start of the running rails and was out, The Fridge then led, mile and 6 to go , relentlessly , on and on up the straight ,  I kept glancing at my betting  slip on top of the TV as it started to become  real, everytime  the camera angle changed it still had a length on field , into the dip still leading , I thought here goes iam best punter in town , final half furlong got him, bugger 5th. 

If you get a chance check out the Sir Mark Prescott stable tour on Racing Post You Tube channel recently uploaded, he's a character and the history he speaks about and explains is really good .

Thanks for the post RR, loved reading that......in passing.....we were driving through Beckhampton, [as you do] and made a point of dropping into Roger Charlton's stables, unannounced, no appointment.[as you don't[ and didn't expect the world, only to have Roger's PA give us a guided tour. What an amazing stables, and the downs/heath across the road on which they worked their horses....simply amazing. We were lucky to see Al Khazeem and none other than Time Test!.....that was 2014, the following year we were over in the UK for business and went to the Rowley Mile and saw Time Test win the Joel Stakes. ......so lovely to see TT now at Little Avondale.....hope he gets plenty of nice mares, I just feel he'll do a great job being a son of Dubawi. and from Abdullah's great family.

1 hour ago, La Zip said:

Thanks for the post RR, loved reading that......in passing.....we were driving through Beckhampton, [as you do] and made a point of dropping into Roger Charlton's stables, unannounced, no appointment.[as you don't[ and didn't expect the world, only to have Roger's PA give us a guided tour. What an amazing stables, and the downs/heath across the road on which they worked their horses....simply amazing. We were lucky to see Al Khazeem and none other than Time Test!.....that was 2014, the following year we were over in the UK for business and went to the Rowley Mile and saw Time Test win the Joel Stakes. ......so lovely to see TT now at Little Avondale.....hope he gets plenty of nice mares, I just feel he'll do a great job being a son of Dubawi. and from Abdullah's great family.

Beckhampton , Prince Khalid Abdullah, Jeremy Tree, Danehill, Rainbow Quest and Quest for Fame ,never been   too bad a set up. 

Buy a Myki card at Flinders for $6 then put $10 credit on it (or more depending on how much you’ll be using public transport). Then catch the train directly to Flemington (takes about 20 mins and should only stop at Southern Cross).

Turnbull Stakes is a great meeting to go to. Last year they had a few more on course because of Winx and this year will be no different but no need to buy a seat in my opinion. They’ll be plenty to spare in the public stand. 

The Members stand is fantastic from a viewing spectacle (saw Dunaden pip Red Cadeaux from up there) and it’s a lot more comfortable with less people, nice leather sofas, easy to get a bet on etc. Depends what kind of experience you’re after and whether you want to fork out or not (general admission is normally around $30).

Are you a member of a race course in NZ? If so you may get reciprocal rights.

When you arrive on course from the train head down stairs and to your left is the bookies ring. If you walk through the ring then head right towards the Makybe Diva statue you’ll see the stabling area on the left.

Hope you enjoy your stay. B)

Mooney Valley you can catch the train from Flinders to Moonee Ponds then follow the crowd across the road down the Main Street to the course (it’s about a 10 min walk to the course from the station). You can catch a tram there from the city also but it’s a lot easier just catching the train in my opinion. 

As you walk through the main gate down the hill you’ll see the bookies ring straight ahead. If you turn right before you get to the ring and walk a few metres you’ll see the parade ring and stabling area quite close together.

Course will be pretty packed I reckon with a lot of people in town to see Winx at Flemington the next day. From a viewing spectacle I like to get outside on the front lawn where you can get a really close look at the horses as they turn for home and down the short straight. To get outside head through the bookies ring then turn right past the escalators then left for a bit then right out the tunnel.

Atmosphere at the Valley will be electric with plenty of happy punters sinking a few everywhere! B)

2 hours ago, CBT said:

Mooney Valley you can catch the train from Flinders to Moonee Ponds then follow the crowd across the road down the Main Street to the course (it’s about a 10 min walk to the course from the station). You can catch a tram there from the city also but it’s a lot easier just catching the train in my opinion. 

As you walk through the main gate down the hill you’ll see the bookies ring straight ahead. If you turn right before you get to the ring and walk a few metres you’ll see the parade ring and stabling area quite close together.

Course will be pretty packed I reckon with a lot of people in town to see Winx at Flemington the next day. From a viewing spectacle I like to get outside on the front lawn where you can get a really close look at the horses as they turn for home and down the short straight. To get outside head through the bookies ring then turn right past the escalators then left for a bit then right out the tunnel.

Atmosphere at the Valley will be electric with plenty of happy punters sinking a few everywhere! B)

Just checking - in case my mind is atrophying (which wouldn't surprise me)  - if everyone is going to see WINX at the Valley why would they be expecting to see her at Flemington the next day??

Surely the wouldn't front her for a media performance???  

God save me, wouldn't you sell your soul to be there??  

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Just checking - in case my mind is atrophying (which wouldn't surprise me)  - if everyone is going to see WINX at the Valley why would they be expecting to see her at Flemington the next day??

Surely the wouldn't front her for a media performance???  

God save me, wouldn't you sell your soul to be there??  

Ha ha. I posted in the incorrect order Irish. 

I’m talking about the night meeting at the Valley on Friday before the Turnbull at Flemington the next day.

A lot of people, particularly interstate, will fly down to Melbourne the night before to make a weekend of it squeezing both meetings in inflating the crowd at the Valley.

Indeed, definitely a must see in what you would expect to be her last 2 runs in Melbourne. 

We won’t see another like her in our lifetime that’s for sure.