RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Lloyd Vivian

Coup Align

I take Lloyd's point that if the track was good and with the lead on the rail, the other two would have had to go round horses and the result may have been different, however down the chute, racing wide doesn't make that huge a difference, certainly not the 5 lengths that Pitty claims...

Leggy, I don't know how old you are, but Bill Skelton was always adamant that drawing worse than 10 in a big field at the top of the chute was extremely difficult to overcome. Because so many horses drift across the track when coming over the junction, even those who've raced there before, it can quite easily cost a couple of lengths, especially if something in front of your horse wanders enough to stop you getting past as quickly as you had hoped.

Yesterday it didn't need to be 5 lengths - there was only a length and a half covering the first three. My gut feeling is the same as several others on here - given a true, consistent Good 3 track Coup Align would have brained them.

and the outside a Dead 4, then why not put a false rail out 8 metres? Make the running the same for all horses? It's a joke. Group 1 racing by chance. A dead 4 would suit every horse - as Flemington tries to get each raaceday. Maybe they haaven't got a false rail at Trentham? (Cannot afford one?).

Isn't Des Coppins a committee man of the club?With his experience and past watering problems,maybe prior to this week he should have discussed watering with his fellow comrades the possible repercussions of watering 2 days out.But maybe they would then be racing on a surface like concrete,and wouldn't have many horses for big sprint at Te Rapa next month.

Isn't Des Coppins a committee man of the club?With his experience and past watering problems,maybe prior to this week he should have discussed watering with his fellow comrades the possible repercussions of watering 2 days out.But maybe they would then be racing on a surface like concrete,and wouldn't have many horses for big sprint at Te Rapa next month.

It was never going to be like concrete Myk! They'd had a couple of days rain already. The outside 'unwatered' lane shows what the track would/could/SHOULD have been like.....

I never saw a race on Saturday,due to travelling.BUT i must say that i was very surprised and happy for his connections when i saw on the results that he managed to grab a place in a million $$$ grp 1...tho more happier when i saw Mufhasa had won at luxurious odds :D .As stated,never saw the race so can't comment on Coup Align's run..but good to see him hang in there. :y:

Leggy, I don't know how old you are, but Bill Skelton was always adamant that drawing worse than 10 in a big field at the top of the chute was extremely difficult to overcome. Because so many horses drift across the track when coming over the junction, even those who've raced there before, it can quite easily cost a couple of lengths, especially if something in front of your horse wanders enough to stop you getting past as quickly as you had hoped.

Yesterday it didn't need to be 5 lengths - there was only a length and a half covering the first three. My gut feeling is the same as several others on here - given a true, consistent Good 3 track Coup Align would have brained them.

Fair point Chris. There is more risk if wide of exactly that, I agree. However, as it was, CA had a comfortable lead and the ability to take his choice of running positions in the straight regardless of what happened to the others behind which would have to similarly negotiate any traffic problems that presented. I also agree with Pitty's point that it's a million dollar race and one shouldn't have to go to the outside fence because of an irrigation stuff up. I'm not trying to excuse that for one moment and I'm as devastated for the connections as most. CA though, had the same choice of the best running as he would have had on the rail.

As I said, perhaps the outside fence option would have made the difference in the same way as the inside might have on an even track surface. Perhaps, the 1200 down the Trentham chute is a tad beyond his optimal trip. I don't know.

It was never going to be like concrete Myk! They'd had a couple of days rain already. The outside 'unwatered' lane shows what the track would/could/SHOULD have been like.....

Exactly - Lush green grass does not grow on tracks like concrete! There was already moisture in the soil.

If he is as good next year they will probably water the track again, so he may as well stay home.

they stuffed up again last Saturday..get rid of the lot of them except Des Coppins

DES for President....the Present President is a fine fella but the buck stops with him and Mr Biddell

There were many unhappy punters last Saturday...

How could Matt Reid stand by the decision to water the track.? Again Reid is a good bloke but how can he stand by the decision.????. who is he protecting??? it was a terrible blunder that has been made before. When will these people learn???

Leave the bloody track alone for the 5 days before the meeting.

Not sure why that would be the case when you see what he does down the Riccarton 1200m chute ?

Because the Riccarton 1200 with a norwester behind you suits 1150 horses and the Trentham 1200 suits 1350 horses.

All he has done down the ricc chute is beat some mediocre sprinters

The horse was no doubt hampered in his bid to win the Telegraph because of track tampering, all anyone wants to see is the best horses race on the best possible surface, which gives all horses an even chance of winning, which last Saturdays debacle certainly was not.

It is 1400m it wont suit

Good of you to admit that Coup Align is rather restricted scoobs.................. Must have a good track, must have a straight run, must have an inside barrier draw, mustn't carry too much weight, most important 'Must be no more than 1200m'.

Basically he needs to learn to cope with conditions that are not made to measure like most other thoroughbreds racing. Don't get me wrong, I love the way he is a very fast sprinter but ......... he is limited to say the least.

Who was that Straight Strike gelding that had a picket fence over short distances? Raced about the same time as that slippery little so and so Samboa? They used to take off from the gate and it was "Kiss my a......"

Good of you to admit that Coup Align is rather restricted scoobs.................. Must have a good track, must have a straight run, must have an inside barrier draw, mustn't carry too much weight, most important 'Must be no more than 1200m'.

Basically he needs to learn to cope with conditions that are not made to measure like most other thoroughbreds racing. Don't get me wrong, I love the way he is a very fast sprinter but ......... he is limited to say the least.

Who was that Straight Strike gelding that had a picket fence over short distances? Raced about the same time as that slippery little so and so Samboa? They used to take off from the gate and it was "Kiss my a......"

Twist as you wish Jane, that was not what I meant at all, yes you had your glory day last Saturday with a collect, well done, but one of the main chances was taken out of the race because of track tampering, ..so please stop reading anymore into what I say... Last Saturday was the day for Coup Align and he was robbed of a fair go...

Just like all other horses who wanted a good track were robbed not just coup align , id say mufhasa and the aussies would have eaten him up on a good track , jockey could have come wider into the dusty part of the track but chose not to , when youre running 107 over 1200 the track aint that bad

Just like all other horses who wanted a good track were robbed not just coup align , id say mufhasa and the aussies would have eaten him up on a good track , jockey could have come wider into the dusty part of the track but chose not to , when youre running 107 over 1200 the track aint that bad

The outside 3 ft anyway...

The outside 3 ft anyway...

The very point - Sam rode to the conditions and her efforts should not go unrecognised - sure, Coup Align possibly disadvantaged in the strip he followed, but 1.07 a few feet over - Sam recognised that strip and good on her

CWJ would have done the same

The very point - Sam rode to the conditions and her efforts should not go unrecognised - sure, Coup Align possibly disadvantaged in the strip he followed, but 1.07 a few feet over - Sam recognised that strip and good on her

CWJ would have done the same

You can't have 18 horses racing on a strip about a metre wide. It's been acknowledged that as Mufhasa ran .14 of a second outside the track record he probably would have won a fair race. But we'll never know because it wasn't.