RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Lloyd Vivian

Coup Align

What another superb effort on a slow 7 track!!!! I hope he finally starts to get a bit of well-earned recognition. That was a huge effort. How incredibly frustrating it must be to race a hard track horse in this country, when one is forced to race on a track like that in January - becuase somebody thinks the track needed watering.

Good on you Sticko - a great run by the big black; terrific to see him back to his best.

What another superb effort on a slow 7 track!!!! I hope he finally starts to get a bit of well-earned recognition. That was a huge effort. How incredibly frustrating it must be to race a hard track horse in this country, when one is forced to race on a track like that in January - becuase somebody thinks the track needed watering.

Good on you Sticko - a great run by the big black]

It was a great result, wasn't it Lloyd? The race has regained it's reputation despite the tampering of the track. 1.07 is not a time produced off a slow track, right? My guess is they were trying to provide conditions to suit every runner and we know "you can't please all the people all of the time". I thought Vonusti was amazing too, to finish fourth.

Good on you Sticko - a great run by the big black]

But on the day the best horse won under equal circumstances....Will an inquiry take place about the water placed on the track?. as the curator could be celebrating tonight if he is on the take.

It was a great result, wasn't it Lloyd? The race has regained it's reputation despite the tampering of the track. 1.07 is not a time produced off a slow track, right? My guess is they were trying to provide conditions to suit every runner and we know "you can't please all the people all of the time". I thought Vonusti was amazing too, to finish fourth.

Hi Jane.

'They' are under no obligation to provide 'conditions to suit every runner'. Logic alone tells you that is impossible. In January, for a $1million sprint, after the summer we have enjoyed up till this last week, to have a track racing like that today is a disgrace! Premier racing is not about slowing down the fast ones to make it easier for the slightly slower ones!!!

If it hoses down and the track is slow - so be it] in setting them all up out in front.

To think zzz zzzzz rates CELERIS higher than Coup Align...You may talk the talk Sherriff but your filly has nothing on him. Would love to see the match race on a Good/Dead track...

I'm sure that race has altered even HIS opinion of Coup Align! Match race will never happen as I have just seen that sadly, she bled during the running and has been retired.

that was a damn good effort

showed enormous fight

maybe the watering was in fear of this horse

Goes very ordinary at that place North of Dunedin as 1.40 fav, gets a track they were obviously filthy about,including the Jockey pre race and runs third.

Anybody ask the question about the dramatic form reversal?????

Goes very ordinary at that place North of Dunedin as 1.40 fav, gets a track they were obviously filthy about,including the Jockey pre race and runs third.

Anybody ask the question about the dramatic form reversal?????

Probably the work they have been able to get into him @ riccarton, the weather has been outstanding in the past couple of weeks in Christchurch.

Has rained only 1 day per week if we are lucky, or in between earthquakes.

Probably the work they have been able to get into him @ riccarton, the weather has been outstanding in the past couple of weeks in Christchurch.

Has rained only 1 day per week if we are lucky, or in between earthquakes.

As horses age, it is not unusual to see them start to be able to do a little better on rain affected tracks - when previously hopeless.

Hi Jane.

'They' are under no obligation to provide 'conditions to suit every runner'. Logic alone tells you that is impossible. In January, for a $1million sprint, after the summer we have enjoyed up till this last week, to have a track racing like that today is a disgrace! Premier racing is not about slowing down the fast ones to make it easier for the slightly slower ones!!!

If it hoses down and the track is slow - so be it] in setting them all up out in front.

Hi Lloyd.

My understanding (from what I heard on First Call yesterday morning) was the outside of the track was relatively dry. More towards being Dead. It was even mentioned that would play in Mufhasa's favour because of his wide barrier draw.

I heard young James McDonald talking about a dead track after he rode Veloce Bella to victory. I am sure that can be verified because someone must have a recording of it. The inner of the track effected more my the irrigation. Therefore overall the track was suitable for all the runners, whatever their track preference.

Not for one minute do I support tampering of the track to suit wet trackers. I expect those responsible for the decision were expecting the track to dry out but because of the cool, cloudy day that did not happen. All I can say is thankfully Trentham did not have the rain that Pukekohe Park had which downgraded the track from a D4 to a S7.

Watching Jimmy Choux, Veloce Bella, Mufhasa and Coup Align perfrmances, they did not appear to be hampered by the track despite the wide runs.

No one thinks twice about a horse coming flying down he outside on a good track and I have seen that happen often enough.

It is my opinion that if the track effected punters keeping their money in their pockets I have say thanks. Mufhasa paying nearly twenty dollars to win was a wonderful New Year gift. So thanks to those who did not crash the price on the best performed horse in the field.

About Coup Align. Yes he is a true 1200m horse and I understand the disappointment at his not winning the race. It does seem that he has been robbed, two years on the trott because the track was not to his liking. Having said that it is relatively well known that the Telegraph suits horses that are well performed over 1400m despite it being 1200m and he did appear to run out of steam. Yes, had he been hugging the rail on a good track the outcome could well have been different. So I do feel for his connections. As for the other runners, in all honesty I ask "how many of them can sprint 1.07 over 1200m even with conditions to suit?" I can't help thinking there would have been excuses like the jockey should have, etc.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the Thorndon Mile.

Coup Align was robbed of victory due to the irrigtion I have no doubt about this take nothing away from Muffasa. Pitman has a good point in this mornings paper -no tampering of the race track 48 hours out from raceday. Its too much of a lottery otherwise -we need change -what owners and trainers are being subject to is not good enough -the only thing we can do is too learn from this and make a change!

m106, there's another meet at Trentham kicking off in just over 25 hours...

And, would you believe it?, The Great Track Manager In The Sky is out there watering the bloody place as I type...

Except, I guess, for a strip that will henceforth be known as 'the Mufasa lane'...

I'd ring His representative on Earth to complain, I would, but you have no idea how many calls that would necessitate: what with there being Catholic, Methodist, Jewish, Presbyterian, Moslem, Hindu, Sikh (and more) reps to call...

Mind you, I presume Mufasa's owners got the name for their (double) Telegraph winner from 'The Lion King'.

Which is interesting.

Rastafarians reckon their deity is 'Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, Elect of God and King of the Kings of Ethiopia', don't they?

Maybe God is a Rasta... :cool:

I will go hunt up N

All this crap about poor coup align, if the track was good or fast mufasa would have probably won by more. 8 of his 13 wins have been on good or fast tracks. Also i saw in the interview with winning jockey sam spratt following the race that it was raining. If lyn biddle didnt water at all would there have even been a telegraph???

All this crap about poor coup align, if the track was good or fast mufasa would have probably won by more. 8 of his 13 wins have been on good or fast tracks. Also i saw in the interview with winning jockey sam spratt following the race that it was raining. If lyn biddle didnt water at all would there have even been a telegraph???

He is a duel Telegraph winner, earning over two million. His name is Mufhasa. Yes I know, some keys stuck on my last post too.

Murray......... I can't help chuckling about the outside of the track at Trentham being named "The Mufhasa lane". I hope a few commentators capitalise on that. It would be right up there with Georgie S's "he coming via the Cape" at Ellerslie.

Coup Align was robbed of victory due to the irrigtion I have no doubt about this take nothing away from Muffasa. Pitman has a good point in this mornings paper -no tampering of the race track 48 hours out from raceday. Its too much of a lottery otherwise -we need change -what owners and trainers are being subject to is not good enough -the only thing we can do is too learn from this and make a change!

the best horse on the day won..look at the time ..the time was right..how can it be questioanabl??the track was a slow 7 according to the Chief Stipe

it probably was on the fence in the middle it was dead..near the outside rail it was a good 3 or better. Sam Spratt

and Lisa Allpress knew where the best spots were

.If Coup Align had been affected by the track he would not have been in the first 3..last year they ran 1.9 .36..yesterday 1.7.5

The watering of the inside was just like cup Day 2008..an absolute bloody disgrace!!

As for making a change well what do you suggest??? You would think they would have learned from 3 years ago but NO

and the outside a Dead 4, then why not put a false rail out 8 metres? Make the running the same for all horses? It's a joke. Group 1 racing by chance. A dead 4 would suit every horse - as Flemington tries to get each raaceday. Maybe they haaven't got a false rail at Trentham? (Cannot afford one?).

...For the record, I think the time is somewhat questionable, - Mufhasa has run 1250m at least - but if it in fact is correct, then it is all because of Coup Align's huge effort [again] in setting them all up out in front.

I clocked it live and afterwards off the tape and was only a couple of hundredths of a second different. My immediate thought, not having seen any of the earlier races, was that the track was the Good 3 that it was supposed to be - I was flabbergasted to find that the official rating was a Slow 7.

Fantastic performance by Coup Align, but possibly even better by Mufhasa, although he at least has previously been Group placed on slow and heavy tracks (funnily enough, 3rd in the same race - the George Ryder).

I clocked it live and afterwards off the tape and was only a couple of hundredths of a second different. My immediate thought, not having seen any of the earlier races, was that the track was the Good 3 that it was supposed to be - I was flabbergasted to find that the official rating was a Slow 7.

Fantastic performance by Coup Align, but possibly even better by Mufhasa, although he at least has previously been Group placed on slow and heavy tracks (funnily enough, 3rd in the same race - the George Ryder).

I'm sure that right on the outside fence it WAS a Good 3 Chris. That's what I find so absolutely frustrating!!! If the idiots had left it alone the whole track would have been perfect - not just the 5m next to the outside fence!!

I accept the time is correct - which makes it a fantastic effort by all 3 placegetters. However, on a G3 track with Coup Align hard against the rail in front and Mufhasa and Final Command racing wide the trip - Coup Align wins - NO question. He's done all the donkey work in front and still hung tough in the last 100m. And that's no disrespect to Sticko's horse at all.

I wonder if CA will still be as good next year for another attempt? Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see him get his due on a hard and fast Trentham track. Shame it will probably be for $250,000 next year.

If the track had not irrigated the result would have been a lot closer I am sure and maybe different. As mentioned in todays paper Pitman has a good sugestion -no tampering of a track 48 hours out form raceday -let nature takes its course then there is no questioning of who has done what and why.

I wonder if CA will still be as good next year for another attempt? Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see him get his due on a hard and fast Trentham track. Shame it will probably be for $250,000 next year.

If he is as good next year they will probably water the track again, so he may as well stay home.

If the track had not irrigated the result would have been a lot closer I am sure and maybe different. As mentioned in todays paper Pitman has a good sugestion -no tampering of a track 48 hours out form raceday -let nature takes its course then there is no questioning of who has done what and why.

I take Lloyd's point that if the track was good and with the lead on the rail, the other two would have had to go round horses and the result may have been different, however down the chute, racing wide doesn't make that huge a difference, certainly not the 5 lengths that Pitty claims. It is also possible it was a bit quicker still where Mufasa was that where CA was.

That said, Pitty may be talking through his pocket. I don't agree that any more draconian rules such as booze bans, owner bans from stabling areas, or irrigation bans, are the answer for inadequate infrastructure and management.