RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Crackthewhip

Police Raids

6 hours ago, what a post said:

Clearly the police investigation has upset the supporters of some of the high profile players. So often these supporters seem to live in a bubble,immune or deaf to the standards the great majority expect and want.

At one point you refer to behavior " that has long been done ,playing silly buggers at some low grade harness meeting' yet  you infer the police investigation is a bad thing.   

Going on your previous  posts on certain subjects, i'm guessing this investigation has come too close to home to those you support.. Whatever the final outcome is,i hope everyone reading racecafe notes the attitudes of many of those who participate in this sport,it really is an eye opener.

Well I'm flattered that you not only read my posts but you actually remember them !

I don't ,cos only I know the recipe to them...are they devils advocate, tongue in cheek ,gentle sarcasm or holier than thou which is obviously an angle you prefer.

You guess wrong ,none of those charged mean a horse's arse to me and none know my name nor have they spoken to me personally.

Should they ban them all for life my syndicate horses won't be affected .

Yes , I don't approve of drugs but this is 2018 and  some All Blacks ,League stars ,lawyers etc all dabble in them on a recreational basis....there are many high functioning addicts and alcoholics.

Yes ,this is racing and gambling and in the 9 years I have been involved I've learned the inconsistent ,enigmatic motives of many involved...get used to it.

Yes ,I look forward to the facts  coming about this race-fixing , party drug fiasco.

and YES I think the police involvement in this....18 months of phone tapping etc is a huge waste of Police resources if they can only come up with one deception charge and a few very debatable races under investigation. As it was well known 17 months ago that our two top drivers were being watched by these undercover geniuses one would imagine they were driving like they always did. Could they be that thick.

And YES I am very cynical that the Industry regulator the RIU felt it necessary to involve Police.....I don't think they live up to their $5 million plus price tag.

Why can't regulators do their job.

What do you think ...whats your holier than thou pollyana view or do you think your anonymous view will be scorned by us 'nutters' that read race cafe !

10 hours ago, Joe blogs said:

I think sunseeker won the kaikoura cup the year lord module  won the cup 

And i dont think he won a race for a very long time before hand

Maybe I was thinking of 1980 not 1979 as I see Sunseeker did win one race in that year. On the other hand maybe it is just old age setting in....

1 hour ago, Lee270744 said:

Anyone driving / training would be crazy to do anything but try their very best right now with the spotlight shining so bright.  The best time in a long time to have a punt in confidence that you'll get a fair run for your money!

6 hours ago, The Diceman Cometh said:

Actually Gaz, with one very notable exception, you being a very succesful punter, you very much remind me of Ted West........and I mean that in the most complimentary of ways.

Ted West !!.....I'll probably become a career criminal when and if I ever grow up !

I have no idea who who are Diceman ,but as you can imagine Ive seen and heard a lot in racing during my 'career' so I'm not afraid to offer an opinion on these happenings.

Its only an opinion and everyone has one and I assume is entitled to express it .Some prefer to play the man not the ball.

In other roles in life ,in recent years I have become surprised how Regulators ,whether they be in Council , Guvmint e.g. Incorporated societies, Charities ,NZICA or Sporting organisations avoid regulating instead directing you to the Courts or the Police while they sit around shuffling paper and collecting nice salaries.

I like to gather my facts , but unless these facts involve serious misconduct or criminal activity ,very little happens and Court is often an expensive option .It costs a lot to win !

In the meantime we await the fate of these racing folks who it seems may have overstepped the mark in carrying on as those have before them !

Keep your powder dry Diceman and remember a person who bets is a bettor and a person who doesn't is NO better.

Its confirmed I am NZ's worst bettor ,because the TAB continually gives me free money to bet with. It started with $5 ,$5 ,$5 etc ,went to $10 and then up to $50 !

Wow !

In Palmerston North, Brent Stephen Wall, 47, pleaded not guilty to manipulating the result of a race when he appeared in the Palmerston North District Court on Tuesday.  According to court documents, the race in question was the sixth race run on May 22 at the Manawatū Harness Racing Club meeting in Palmerston North.  Wall allegedly assisted the horse Sportscaster to win, with the intent of influencing the betting outcome. That allegedly caused losses in excess of $1000 to both other racers and betters. Wall is on bail until his next court appearance in October.

In Christchurch, Andrew Douglas Stuart, 41, of Loburn, who was remanded without plea to October 2. Bail was granted.  Name suppression was not sought.  Stuart appeared on three race fixing charges, one related to race 7 at the Rangiora Harness Racing Club meeting at Rangiora on August 12, 2018, alleging he assisted Immortal Change to win to gain an advantage of $1430.

Another charge alleges he conspired with another person to manipulate the overall result of race 2 at the New Zealand Metropolitan Trotting meeting at Addington Raceway on July 27, 2018, by assisting Rockahula Joe to win with intent to obtain TAB dividends in excess of $1000.

A third charge alleges that with two other men, by deception, he manipulated the result of race 6 at the Manawatu Harness Racing Club meeting at Palmerston North on May 22 by assisting Sportscaster to win, causing a loss of $1000 to race participants and the betting public.

A 40-year-old Canterbury man appeared on two drugs charges and three allegations of race fixing and was remanded on bail to October 4. Defence counsel Jonathan Eaton QC said the charges would be "strenuously denied".

Eaton argued for name suppression for his client, which was granted until all applications had been heard, including submissions by media organisations. Eaton accused media of an "absolute contempt" for the court process with publicity prior to court appearances where suppression applications may be made.

The 40-year-old man is charged with offering to supply the class B drug ecstasy, and fixing or conspiring to fix races at Addington, Rangiora, and Palmerston North.

A 26-year-old Canterbury man charged with obtaining by deception and drugs charges, who appeared in court last week, was granted interim name suppression to make an appeal to the High Court against the refusal of name suppression in the District Court.

He is charged with obtaining by deception, three charges of supplying a class B drug, and one charge of possessing the drug for supply. Bail was continued for his remand to October 2.

(Obviously didn't have a very good lawyer last week)

1 minute ago, Winner69 said:

Weird .....2 of the horses mentioned in that article didn’t win the stated races......even though the report says the accused assisted them to win

That's because it's hard to win a race when only limited amounts of participants are involved!  They would have had assistance to win but couldn't manage it. (It would appear that participants in the races got the individual named this morning to bet on other horses in the race on their behalf ) yes, they didn't win (the horses the named wagered on)  but that doesn't mean they didn't try to fix the result..

Have to agree Chevy. This will disrupt some lives and bring about some changes but no more angst than, for example, the Messara Report and the closure of tracks in the long run.  Things will carry on little noticed by the rank and file. How do I come to this conclusion? Well, only the converted watch Trackside, have a bet or three, go to the trots or gallops or take the odd share in a horse. It will cause few ruffles because there is no- repeat NO- marketing done outside of a few narrow channels to educate, inform or encourage even those mildly interested in horses to become interested in Harness racing. Never any advertising in Mainstream press, on TV! or whatever the most popular TV or radio channels may be.Kidz Karts is just one small faction. Important, yes, but just one faction. Why can Pony Club pages on Facebook not carry harness racing adverts, pics or information. There is sooooooo much more that could be done to promote harness racing and to appeal to the next generation of participants cannot be done by 60 -70 year olds set in their ways. 2018 thinking is different from 1980 and the apparatus needed to reach and gain the attention of new and younger people is actually not fully understood by oldies. It needs young, vibrant people to kick this thing in the guts. Wasn't it refreshing to see a younger brigade with some lateral thinking promoting the Jewels this year? I don't see a huge exodus from athletics worldwide just because of a few drug cheats. If you always do what you've always done................

38 minutes ago, Blue said:

Actually RPV, by the way he won his last two, if anything needs fixing, he's the one to do it. I think the others might need to do some 'fixing' to beat him come Cup time.

Early days re NZ Cup but definitely  going the right way.

All Stars team taking a big team to trials tomorrow including Ultimate Machete 

4 minutes ago, BackPoonDrinkGoon said:

Doesn’t really matter does it? More than one betting agency you can bet with and i’m sure they’ve made a stack on betfair knowing who’s trying and who’s not.

If you knew the regular turnover on bf there’s no way you could think that.

33 minutes ago, gazza123 said:

watched all three races and dont look dodgy,drivers not looking round for punt horse,,or attacking other favourites.must be more word of mouth,derby was run so fast that only the best horse won

Evidence will be presented to the contrary of your opinion obviously. Drivers aren't exactly going to wear a sign on their chest saying " i'm fixing this race" are they although the Nelson drive was cynical at best.   The cops will have evidence of collusion and the defence will attempt to explain the evidence away with whatever rebuttals they believe are correct.. time will tell. It's also worth noting that the drivers of a couple of races in question aren't not being charged to my knowledge so would not have known of the actions between other parties...

I think you have to take the $$ figures mentioned "with a grain of salt".

On one charge the $1400 may be an exact figure, but the "over $1000" may be just a threshold for the exact charge laid ..... that is, a lesser penalty may be for a charge "under $1000" and greater penalty for a charge "over $1000" .....