RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Crackthewhip

Police Raids

54 minutes ago, Virtual.Stipe said:

Graham Beirne comments to the Otago Daily Times:

But he said he never paid them for information and had never offered inducements or rewards for what he was told.

Yeah those trainers obviously exhibit a level of benevolence matched only by Destiny Church.

And as for HK I think it is forbidden for trainers and jockeys to discuss anything about a horse other than with the owner? 

8 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

Yeah those trainers obviously exhibit a level of benevolence matched only by Destiny Church.

And as for HK I think it is forbidden for trainers and jockeys to discuss anything about a horse other than with the owner? 

Obv not forbidden to discuss with the media.

1 minute ago, Sickopunter said:

Racing to win tv show before the races. Very common.

Quite right they do this. But what Beirne is asking is more like "insider trading" and these trainers are giving it to him. Akin to saying "your horse isn't going very good but I know of a fix that is going down in race 2 hehe"

2 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Reported yesterday that Beirne said he often rang trainers to get the oil on their runners and if he had a good punting result would often give them a sling. Would all be rubbed out in Hong Kong obviously but just "business" here?

He did not say that at all.

Beirne also admits to being a prolific punter who often rings trainers and drivers seeking their opinions on races.

But he says he never pays them for information and has never offered a harness horseperson a car, or even a cheaper deal, as reward for what he is told.

"I can swear that has never happened," said Beirne.

"I can only think of one time recently I have given somebody a sling [financial bonus] and that was one of the staff when a horse I owned won a race, which is no different to tipping a waiter.

"That is just a thank you for your work and has nothing to with the actual race or the outcomes."

The practice of owners "slinging" winning horsepeople, whether they be drivers, trainers, jockeys or stablehands for a job well done used to be a relatively common practice in horse racing but is increasingly rare these days.

2 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Can't remember, Herald or Stuff , may have been Guerin because it concluded with comment that slings used to be commonplace  here in racing but not so much nowadays. It was an article referring to Beirne arriving back from Bali on Saturday morning and cops I think will be catching up with him at the airport. Auckland?

9:30 in the AM

Nothing is new.I was a regular attender at Alexander Park for many years, till I saw Miss Ghana being pulled up so hard the horses head was side ways looking at us in the stand. It was favourite and it's stablemate won.

That night I stopped punting on harness racing and many of the group I was with did too.

55 minutes ago, okeedokalee said:

Nothing is new.I was a regular attender at Alexander Park for many years, till I saw Miss Ghana being pulled up so hard the horses head was side ways looking at us in the stand. It was favourite and it's stablemate won.

That night I stopped punting on harness racing and many of the group I was with did too.

Some of the stuff then was a bit brazen for sure  . One that really made me shake my head was when our trainer was mates with another trainer who had 2  horses in a race.  He told our trainer they fancied the one that wasn't favourite.  So this was just before passing lane came into being,   it  gets to the turn and one they fancied is stuck in trail behind stablemate. Stablemate suddenly veers towards the  middle of the track and other one shoots through and wins.  Quickly the   driver is called into   the  enquiry room.   Told them on a bone  dry night the reins had slipped out of his hands and quickly was accepted.   Maybe if the stewards  hadn't been so laissez - faire in accepting any old excuse   over the years,  things might not have got to this stage

37 minutes ago, Fartoomuch said:

So its now really simply a case of wait and see who gets charged with what and when.

Not long to wait. Most will be charged Tuesday next. Two on drug charges, one of these also faces firearms charge. The remainder will probably be charged with race fixing. Perhaps GB and DD to be added after police have spoken to them. At least we know what the headline will be on Wednesday morning!! :rcfe-laughing:

1 hour ago, okeedokalee said:

Anyone that used to go to Hutt Park in 60-70's can relate to that. Some of the stunts they pulled there were legendary.

15 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Pretty sure that was the gist of the story. Herald yesterday. Clarification--he said he gave an employee a sling, not the trainer or driver, but says he enquires about horses other than his own. Make up your own minds about ethics and confidentiality regarding horses somebody else is paying the bills for.

P.S. I'm a simple beast with techo so just Google  and easy to find.

Chevy ,I think you got the gist of the article on GB.

I got a similar take-out.

In my experience of having dozens of small shares ,in dozens of horses with many different trainers in recent years most of them will talk honestly and sincerely about the chances of their horses should you enquire.

Never have I been told that a race is being 'fixed'.....I guess I mainly attend racing where the stakes higher and the competitiveness more intense.

Ive always wondered what drivers talk about when they share a 5 hour car ride Chch to Nelson or go to the pub and play pool on the day-off between a 2 day meeting at Nelson or Manawatu so little wonder these tracks are rumoured to be the subject of "race fixing". Many of the lower class horses at those are just going around making up the numbers, or there for education or a trip away !

Then of course there are the races either side of the DERBY ,which in 2018 had to be one of the most competitive ever....of course races around the derby are to maintain fitness etc and horses not fully primed.

Race officials even request horses to line-up with little or no show...enter horses or there is no race....recently the Juniors driver Championship lacked horses so noms kept open and a few horses that had been turned out or seriously below race fitness ended up 'racing'.Then there are horses on the way up each prep ,those with no trials behind them and those back from injury.

Lets not forget the current handicapping system ,which is deeply flawed  ,doesn't see like racing like so horses go around to make up the numbers intent on losing rating points....all part of the Industry.

Its been part of the industry [ all codes] and one of the challenges of punting /picking a winner from day one 200 years ago !!!

Now suddenly INTEGRITY is the catch phrase , and phone tapping and spying becomes the norm...possibly folk are set up or entrapped.

Strap a recorder to me every night at the Park and hear some of the small talk /  the inside bully on what is happening and it would be hilarious and could possibly be totally misinterpreted by the Criminal system....one wag greets me every week "Is your horse trying tonight ?"

The odd time we win ,the occasional sling will go to the strapper ,one syndicate member often gave the driver a $20 win ticket on our horse well before the race....and so it goes on.

This is horse racing ...this is gambling.

I note Federer got flogged ...someone bet $35k on him to win @$1,02 ,Money -cleaning ? check the betting slips on who bet him to lose !.Nadal walks off with sore knee something he's managed for years....check the betting slips !

As a youngster I always remember the word was around Wingatui......a jumps jockey was badly injured so his mates were setting up a race for him !

I always wondered how it could be organised with horses from Wingatui ,Gore ,Invercargill ,Washdyke and Riccarton .

To cut along story short ,the set up /plunge horse ran 5th !

The more things change ,the more they stay the same.

Keep them honest Chevy !

I remember long long ago we had a horse for some Chinese guys who like to punt and we had a horse suitable so I wrote a letter to my mother (who like a small punt) saying that I didn't know when but this horse would be winning within its next 3 or 4 starts. Anyway the horse went on the southland circuit over Xmas and was galloping in his races and going awful so the punt was off but I didn't have the time to let my mother know. The last day of the circuit and lo and behold the horse won @$80 and my mother got the lollies as she innocently just kept doubling up her bet on the horse hehe

11 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

Ive always wondered what drivers talk about when they share a 5 hour car ride Chch to Nelson or go to the pub and play pool on the day-off between a 2 day meeting at Nelson or Manawatu so little wonder these tracks are rumoured to be the subject of "race fixing". Many of the lower class horses at those are just going around making up the numbers, or there for education or a trip away !

Hi TM--on the long trips from Auckland to Hutt Park, Taranaki circuit, Manawatu we used to talk mostly about the Vauxhall Viva needing a clutch replacement, valve grind or the soft brakes needed bleeding ( and sometimes whether our girlfriends would appreciate similar servicing ) but overall we were so smug about our own punting acumen that "organising" the desired result was not contemplated.

Then when I became an owner my late Mum used to ask me how the horse was going to go. Despite warning her that I had no way of knowing she religiously put $2 each way on the horses every start just because I was her son, and then I'd get a bollocking if it didn't win! Go figure.I've carried that guilt most of my life:rcfe-laughing:

1 hour ago, chevy86 said:

Hi TM--on the long trips from Auckland to Hutt Park, Taranaki circuit, Manawatu we used to talk mostly about the Vauxhall Viva needing a clutch replacement, valve grind or the soft brakes needed bleeding ( and sometimes whether our girlfriends would appreciate similar servicing ) but overall we were so smug about our own punting acumen that "organising" the desired result was not contemplated.

Then when I became an owner my late Mum used to ask me how the horse was going to go. Despite warning her that I had no way of knowing she religiously put $2 each way on the horses every start just because I was her son, and then I'd get a bollocking if it didn't win! Go figure.I've carried that guilt most of my life:rcfe-laughing:

God, I know how you feel. A few years ago my mother and wife both asked about a horse attached to own horse's stable. Told them it was basically useless, had never run a place and never would.  They both said they'd limit their bets to half intended.  Bloody horse went like a rocket and paid $ 40.  Worse than the bollocking I got, was when they saw me on Trackside  patting the horse and telling him what a good fella he was.  My wife apparently yelled at the TV "    You damn hypocrite ! "   Three years on  she is still reminding me.