RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Dwyn

A Sport of National Interest

The industry needs to look at things that it can do now  to capture the nation's attention and create a vibrant, exciting form of entertainment with minimal expense.

1. Coverage on main stream TV Sport News with results and highlights of every Listed and Group race.  
  2. A live 1 or 2 hour TV racing show (free to view, main stream tv), either fortnightly or monthly.   Listed and Group races programmed to be televised within a 1 to 1.5 hr time slot @ 2 venues with races 15mins apart (alternating venues),  with form analyses and pre and post interviews (very much like they do with other sports like rugby and netball).

Benefits: This will get the NZ top horses to be common household names and then create a following – even the next generation, the kids – capture their interest, their imagination and their dreams now for the future.

After all, is racing not a sport of national interest?

Would be nice to see happen alright, and people able to buy a 'big race pack'  at the lotto shop when buying there weekly lotto tickets. 

I was in a supermarket in Wellington recently and seen a section at the counter with all these cards what people buy and use to play games on the Internet, surely the TAB can get something along these lines, put the product in front of people and they might actually think why not have a bet today. 

A half hour show at 5:30 on a Saturday on TV1, where the first 20 minutes is replays of the first 5 legs of the Pick 6 (or Race-O) and the last 10 minutes is the buildup to, and running of, the last leg.

Get non-racing people buying Pick 6/Race-O tickets for some big 7- and 8-figure jackpots (plenty of people buy lotto tickets, and watching horses is more fun than watching bouncing balls), get them watching this half hour show every week, get them liking horses and racing, get them involved in punting and ownership.

Dwyn - good idea. Agree that racing needs to be seen as a sport and get mainstream coverage, even if it has to sponsor its own reports. Given the common, but childish, envy of things Australian, how many people are aware that Winx is largely N.Z.-bred, as was Black Caviar's sire?

2 hours ago, Phar Lap Fan said:

Dwyn - good idea. Agree that racing needs to be seen as a sport and get mainstream coverage, even if it has to sponsor its own reports. Given the common, but childish, envy of things Australian, how many people are aware that Winx is largely N.Z.-bred, as was Black Caviar's sire?

Iam no Tesio on breeding but neither has any NZ blood on sire line, Winx sire line leads into a  grand old  family of  Ballymacoll Stud Ireland via Helen Street and Bel Esprit sire line all USA and Canada , although sire and grandsire trained by great Vincent O'Brien at Ballydoyle. Bel Esprit grandam kiwi bred.Winx dam line quite international too so largely kiwi bred stretching marketing  IMHO.

Agreed, no Tesio (myself included) but you missed my oblivious mistake. Bel Esprit, the dam-sire of B.C. comes from a New  Zealand female line. Should be common (relatively) knowledge but If all the paid people in NZTR, NZRB, TAB & Trackside can't promote N.Z. racing, why should I bother? Consider  the coverage given to Bo-Gyung Ko, who wasn't born in new Zealand, so claiming 2 great Australian racehorses shouldn't be a problem..

21 minutes ago, Phar Lap Fan said:

Agreed, no Tesio (myself included) but you missed my oblivious mistake. Bel Esprit, the dam-sire of B.C. comes from a New  Zealand female line. Should be common (relatively) knowledge but If all the paid people in NZTR, NZRB, TAB & Trackside can't promote N.Z. racing, why should I bother? Consider  the coverage given to Bo-Gyung Ko, who wasn't born in new Zealand, so claiming 2 great Australian racehorses shouldn't be a problem..

See where you coming from Phar Lap, Bespoken dam line NZ a long way back, can see the Tesio connection  though as Nearco pops up as usual in a pedigree. Is there a horse racing today without him or Hyperion on the page, I doubt that there are many. I get a bit bamboozled when I start reading breeding theories from time to time  so I should stick to the form book and get that off rote first. 

On 8/31/2018 at 8:05 PM, Dwyn said:

The industry needs to look at things that it can do now  to capture the nation's attention and create a vibrant, exciting form of entertainment with minimal expense.

1. Coverage on main stream TV Sport News with results and highlights of every Listed and Group race.  
  2. A live 1 or 2 hour TV racing show (free to view, main stream tv), either fortnightly or monthly.   Listed and Group races programmed to be televised within a 1 to 1.5 hr time slot @ 2 venues with races 15mins apart (alternating venues),  with form analyses and pre and post interviews (very much like they do with other sports like rugby and netball).

Benefits: This will get the NZ top horses to be common household names and then create a following – even the next generation, the kids – capture their interest, their imagination and their dreams now for the future.

After all, is racing not a sport of national interest?

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/peter-v-landys--why-are-we-hiding-the-bridge-20180920

Read the link, Racing NSW CEO slamming the state govt for not doing more to promote The Everest. Can you imagine a racing administrator here ever trying to push the interests of the sport in that way? Here they're more likely to apologize for the industry existing, or be worried about rocking the boat too much.

The opportunity has long gone, but when Lotto was first proposed the radio personality Geoff Sinclair advocated that the TAB should apply to sell Lotto through their already established network of TAB outlets. The TAB saw Lotto as a serious rival and opposed it.

It could have been a win/win situation. Today Lotto agencies are plentiful, while many TABs have closed, been replaced by machines in pubs and clubs,.

On 9/20/2018 at 3:37 AM, Seakem said:

The opportunity has long gone, but when Lotto was first proposed the radio personality Geoff Sinclair advocated that the TAB should apply to sell Lotto through their already established network of TAB outlets. The TAB saw Lotto as a serious rival and opposed it.

It could have been a win/win situation. Today Lotto agencies are plentiful, while many TABs have closed, been replaced by machines in pubs and clubs,.

Geoff was a punter. No punters involved in the decision making at the NZRB. 

On 9/20/2018 at 2:37 PM, Seakem said:

Not so much saw Lotto as a "serious rival" but considered it to be a 5-minute wonder.

An opportunity lost; big mistake.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, Seakem said:

In terms of agencies haven't tab's followed a similar model to Lotto by moving them into bars and clubs etc.  Lotto is now always an add on to an existing business e.g supermarkets or magazine store rather than a stand alone store.   

I also think of the many possibilities or opportunities that just slip by, through, and are sort of forgotten.

LOVE Racing media site appears isolated, doesn't cut the mustard or is piece-meal without any drive, strategy to it. I tend to see tit-bits of info, without the impetus to a great sport with great personalities of all ages.

We've exported, driven, or given away a lot of industry talent both horses & people which amazes me why we can't applaud them further in some manner.

Reading forums opinions & idea, there are some positive solutions which go unheeded/ignored because there isn't the personnel or group behind it to take ideas forwards.

I really like what BOYSGETPAID are doing (young innovative heads).

Could we 'raise hands' and position a 'collective' group through Racecafe: re-boot in the cause of Innovation, marketing or as otherwise specified ????? 

Be enthused.