Mattski

Messara Racing Review Full Report and 17 Key points

417 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Have they identified tracks to sell off ? If so those tracks must fit a simple criteria I would have thought

1. Be in poor condition surface and facilities wise

2. Be worth something as I love Omoto for example  , been many times but is it worth anything land wise it's a flood area. Though does dry bloody well , amazingly well.I hope Omoto stays by the way.

3. Is there a better facility that stakeholders in region can use

4. Probably the most important I suppose when liquidising assets , do I OWN it therefore legally have the power  to sell it up and take the money.

Seems to me point four don't apply to a lot of these tracks. If I was a volunteer 3rd 4th generation I would be inclined to fight for my community to get the funds if racing went west at track to use for another activity to improve community  facilities. Is it almost a reverse Robin Hood situation.

However there must be a few clubs that fit points 1 to 4 and something does need doing . But if likes of Ellerslie cannot get there shit together why should likes of Omoto bail them out.

Does Ellerslie itself not fit the bill?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chiknsmack said:

Does Ellerslie itself not fit the bill?

Certainly be worth a lot of money, and can invest a small portion of huge proceeds getting Avondale into shape facilities wise as theme on here is surface is great facilities awful.. Not sure that would happen .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Certainly be worth a lot of money, and can invest a small portion of huge proceeds getting Avondale into shape facilities wise as theme on here is surface is great facilities awful.. Not sure that would happen .

These are the initial 20 closures RR with others to follow after track constructions.

.Dargaville

Avondale

Thames

Rotorua

Wairoa
Stratford
Hawera
Waipukurau Woodville
Reefton
Greymouth Hokitika
Motukarara Timaru
Kurow
Oamaru
Waimate
Omakau
Winton
Gore 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Peter Harrop said:

Has anyone else noticed how the stagnant revenue returns since 2014 coincides with Trackside's move from Freeview to Sky?

 

Blanket free to Air coverage for everyone with a TV country wide onto a system with minority of population with access. Yes not sure that was a flash move. I like the two channels in the main but  that cut a lot of old time punters off at the knees. I was always told look after the pennies and pounds look after themselves as a youngster.So they should have a bit of respect for a  pensioner who enjoys a few bucks on for years  whos stuck in a home and enjoys watching his buck go round that's the guts of it , not cut them out. I got into racing /punting early on because of my Dad and Nan watching the  I TV seven everyweek free to air . Same as football, all codes , how many kids watched a full game of any code live on TV and learn from the pros . Not enough i can tell you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

These are the initial 20 closures RR with others to follow after track constructions.

.Dargaville

Avondale

Thames

Rotorua

Wairoa
Stratford
Hawera
Waipukurau Woodville
Reefton
Greymouth Hokitika
Motukarara Timaru
Kurow
Oamaru
Waimate
Omakau
Winton
Gore 

Thanks very much OM, Reefton and  Omoto couple my favs,   Got fried there once real bad , apply suncream i was told but i knew better and owned a portion of a Reefton Cup fav one year  , tight turns dun for her .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Anyone who supports the closure of Avondale rather than say Counties is a Racing ignoramus, they have no sense of horse welfare, and they’re a danger to themselves and the code.

Such persons should never have a significant role in racing 

 

To keep Avondale you would need to blow up the stands and pour 50 million into building new facilities.  I would rather sell it and take the $200million.  Its called business.  Its thinking like yours that got us into this predicament

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Anyone who supports the closure of Avondale rather than say Counties is a Racing ignoramus, they have no sense of horse welfare, and they’re a danger to themselves and the code.

Such persons should never have a significant role in racing 

 

Agree with you. The problem there is valuations between $100m and $300m depending on what zoning they come up with. Messara's whole case revolves to a large extent on the acquisition ( by stealth or otherwise ) of Club assets...numbers don't work without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Gofta said:

To keep Avondale you would need to blow up the stands and pour 50 million into building new facilities.  I would rather sell it and take the $200million.  Its called business.  Its thinking like yours that got us into this predicament

There is no $200million though, unless stealing land from a community group and selling it to developers is a viable strategy.

It's greenbelt land, so can't be developed. Maybe you can force through multiple law changes at local and central level to change that.

It belongs to a club who say they are part of the racing industry and the West Auckland community. They have pledged that, if they are kicked out of the racing industry, they're going to give their assets to the West Auckland community. Maybe you can figure out a way to coerce/force them into changing their mind.

 

Ellerslie has a far inferior surface, where horses can end up knee deep in old stormwater drains during the running of a race. It's also far more valuable to developers than Avondale. So sell Ellerslie, put in a plastic track at Avondale, run meetings on the plastic track every Tuesday morning and Friday night (or whenever else suits for simulcasting vision into export markets; part of the appeal of plastic tracks is you can have the same horses running on the same track every week, giving you consistent form and therefore good betting a la Hong Kong). Put in a Strathyr at Avondale too, and in addition to the 50 or 100 meetings a year on the plastic you can have 40+ meetings a year on an outstanding turf surface.

Take the rest of the Ellerslie proceeds, plus some money from the Regional Fund, plus some transport funding from central government, plus the proceeds from selling Trentham, and put them all into building Transmission Gully, including a bullet train that gets you from Wellington to Levin in 15 minutes. Then build a massive new setup near Levin with a 50m wide grass track with a straight mile, plus a whole bunch of training facilities for dozens of trainers and thousands of horses, and another plastic track. There's another 50 or 100 plastic track meetings per year, plus another 40 or 50 on the turf.

 

The government get affordable housing by moving half the population of Wellington out of the (earthquake-prone) city and to the new 350,000 population city of Levin. They also get to spend money on trains, which they like. Winston gets some massive legacy project he can point to for the rest of his life and say "I did that".

 

The racing industry gets to centralise a large chunk of the horse population at a location with state of the art training and racing (and broadcasting) facilities. Owners get reduced costs, thanks to being able to have their horses both trained and raced at the megatrack at Levin (no more transport from Cambridge to Ruakaka). The industry as a whole get reduced costs that come from scale and centralisation.

 

Do the same thing with the Waikato Greenfields idea; massive track, training facilities for thousands of horses, bullet train from Auckland, mass Kiwibuild housing.

 

Also, levies on exported horses and stud fees, as well as on offshore bookies offering betting on NZ races, will bring in more revenue. These should be the absolute first moves taken, before any rationalisation. Ideally, NZTR would put a 5% levy on all stud fees before the breeding season starts tomorrow. Though NZTR moving quickly is probably the most pie in the sky idea in this whole post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, chiknsmack said:

There is no $200million though, unless stealing land from a community group and selling it to developers is a viable strategy.

It's greenbelt land, so can't be developed. Maybe you can force through multiple law changes at local and central level to change that.

It belongs to a club who say they are part of the racing industry and the West Auckland community. They have pledged that, if they are kicked out of the racing industry, they're going to give their assets to the West Auckland community. Maybe you can figure out a way to coerce/force them into changing their mind.

 

Ellerslie has a far inferior surface, where horses can end up knee deep in old stormwater drains during the running of a race. It's also far more valuable to developers than Avondale. So sell Ellerslie, put in a plastic track at Avondale, run meetings on the plastic track every Tuesday morning and Friday night (or whenever else suits for simulcasting vision into export markets; part of the appeal of plastic tracks is you can have the same horses running on the same track every week, giving you consistent form and therefore good betting a la Hong Kong). Put in a Strathyr at Avondale too, and in addition to the 50 or 100 meetings a year on the plastic you can have 40+ meetings a year on an outstanding turf surface.

Take the rest of the Ellerslie proceeds, plus some money from the Regional Fund, plus some transport funding from central government, plus the proceeds from selling Trentham, and put them all into building Transmission Gully, including a bullet train that gets you from Wellington to Levin in 15 minutes. Then build a massive new setup near Levin with a 50m wide grass track with a straight mile, plus a whole bunch of training facilities for dozens of trainers and thousands of horses, and another plastic track. There's another 50 or 100 plastic track meetings per year, plus another 40 or 50 on the turf.

 

The government get affordable housing by moving half the population of Wellington out of the (earthquake-prone) city and to the new 350,000 population city of Levin. They also get to spend money on trains, which they like. Winston gets some massive legacy project he can point to for the rest of his life and say "I did that".

 

The racing industry gets to centralise a large chunk of the horse population at a location with state of the art training and racing (and broadcasting) facilities. Owners get reduced costs, thanks to being able to have their horses both trained and raced at the megatrack at Levin (no more transport from Cambridge to Ruakaka). The industry as a whole get reduced costs that come from scale and centralisation.

 

Do the same thing with the Waikato Greenfields idea; massive track, training facilities for thousands of horses, bullet train from Auckland, mass Kiwibuild housing.

 

Also, levies on exported horses and stud fees, as well as on offshore bookies offering betting on NZ races, will bring in more revenue. These should be the absolute first moves taken, before any rationalisation. Ideally, NZTR would put a 5% levy on all stud fees before the breeding season starts tomorrow. Though NZTR moving quickly is probably the most pie in the sky idea in this whole post.

Holy shit that's a plan, I think it could all come off but I think a 1 per cent type levy on stud fees and exported horses is shooting at the moon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gofta said:

To keep Avondale you would need to blow up the stands and pour 50 million into building new facilities.  I would rather sell it and take the $200million.  Its called business.  Its thinking like yours that got us into this predicament

Gofta what thinking is that, Counties is a shit track a spit of rain its a bog, Avondale is a great surface those are facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chiknsmack said:

There is no $200million though, unless stealing land from a community group and selling it to developers is a viable strategy.

It's greenbelt land, so can't be developed. Maybe you can force through multiple law changes at local and central level to change that.

It belongs to a club who say they are part of the racing industry and the West Auckland community. They have pledged that, if they are kicked out of the racing industry, they're going to give their assets to the West Auckland community. Maybe you can figure out a way to coerce/force them into changing their mind.

 

Ellerslie has a far inferior surface, where horses can end up knee deep in old stormwater drains during the running of a race. It's also far more valuable to developers than Avondale. So sell Ellerslie, put in a plastic track at Avondale, run meetings on the plastic track every Tuesday morning and Friday night (or whenever else suits for simulcasting vision into export markets; part of the appeal of plastic tracks is you can have the same horses running on the same track every week, giving you consistent form and therefore good betting a la Hong Kong). Put in a Strathyr at Avondale too, and in addition to the 50 or 100 meetings a year on the plastic you can have 40+ meetings a year on an outstanding turf surface.

Take the rest of the Ellerslie proceeds, plus some money from the Regional Fund, plus some transport funding from central government, plus the proceeds from selling Trentham, and put them all into building Transmission Gully, including a bullet train that gets you from Wellington to Levin in 15 minutes. Then build a massive new setup near Levin with a 50m wide grass track with a straight mile, plus a whole bunch of training facilities for dozens of trainers and thousands of horses, and another plastic track. There's another 50 or 100 plastic track meetings per year, plus another 40 or 50 on the turf.

 

The government get affordable housing by moving half the population of Wellington out of the (earthquake-prone) city and to the new 350,000 population city of Levin. They also get to spend money on trains, which they like. Winston gets some massive legacy project he can point to for the rest of his life and say "I did that".

 

The racing industry gets to centralise a large chunk of the horse population at a location with state of the art training and racing (and broadcasting) facilities. Owners get reduced costs, thanks to being able to have their horses both trained and raced at the megatrack at Levin (no more transport from Cambridge to Ruakaka). The industry as a whole get reduced costs that come from scale and centralisation.

 

Do the same thing with the Waikato Greenfields idea; massive track, training facilities for thousands of horses, bullet train from Auckland, mass Kiwibuild housing.

 

Also, levies on exported horses and stud fees, as well as on offshore bookies offering betting on NZ races, will bring in more revenue. These should be the absolute first moves taken, before any rationalisation. Ideally, NZTR would put a 5% levy on all stud fees before the breeding season starts tomorrow. Though NZTR moving quickly is probably the most pie in the sky idea in this whole post.

Some interesting thoughts...but "a bullet train to Levin" ?? Apart from logistics and astronomical cost, I doubt any of us would see it...;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chiknsmack said:

There is no $200million though, unless stealing land from a community group and selling it to developers is a viable strategy.

It's greenbelt land, so can't be developed. Maybe you can force through multiple law changes at local and central level to change that.

It belongs to a club who say they are part of the racing industry and the West Auckland community. They have pledged that, if they are kicked out of the racing industry, they're going to give their assets to the West Auckland community. Maybe you can figure out a way to coerce/force them into changing their mind.

 

Ellerslie has a far inferior surface, where horses can end up knee deep in old stormwater drains during the running of a race. It's also far more valuable to developers than Avondale. So sell Ellerslie, put in a plastic track at Avondale, run meetings on the plastic track every Tuesday morning and Friday night (or whenever else suits for simulcasting vision into export markets; part of the appeal of plastic tracks is you can have the same horses running on the same track every week, giving you consistent form and therefore good betting a la Hong Kong). Put in a Strathyr at Avondale too, and in addition to the 50 or 100 meetings a year on the plastic you can have 40+ meetings a year on an outstanding turf surface.

Take the rest of the Ellerslie proceeds, plus some money from the Regional Fund, plus some transport funding from central government, plus the proceeds from selling Trentham, and put them all into building Transmission Gully, including a bullet train that gets you from Wellington to Levin in 15 minutes. Then build a massive new setup near Levin with a 50m wide grass track with a straight mile, plus a whole bunch of training facilities for dozens of trainers and thousands of horses, and another plastic track. There's another 50 or 100 plastic track meetings per year, plus another 40 or 50 on the turf.

 

The government get affordable housing by moving half the population of Wellington out of the (earthquake-prone) city and to the new 350,000 population city of Levin. They also get to spend money on trains, which they like. Winston gets some massive legacy project he can point to for the rest of his life and say "I did that".

 

The racing industry gets to centralise a large chunk of the horse population at a location with state of the art training and racing (and broadcasting) facilities. Owners get reduced costs, thanks to being able to have their horses both trained and raced at the megatrack at Levin (no more transport from Cambridge to Ruakaka). The industry as a whole get reduced costs that come from scale and centralisation.

 

Do the same thing with the Waikato Greenfields idea; massive track, training facilities for thousands of horses, bullet train from Auckland, mass Kiwibuild housing.

 

Also, levies on exported horses and stud fees, as well as on offshore bookies offering betting on NZ races, will bring in more revenue. These should be the absolute first moves taken, before any rationalisation. Ideally, NZTR would put a 5% levy on all stud fees before the breeding season starts tomorrow. Though NZTR moving quickly is probably the most pie in the sky idea in this whole post.

They will certainly have a go at these numbers Chik....

"Re the sale of freehold land of racecourses that are to be closed, 16 of the initial 20 racecourses to be closed are freehold or part freehold. The rateable land value of the initial 16 courses to be closed (that is excluding Te Rapa, Te Awamutu and Cambridge which will not be closed before the proposed Waikato Greenfields Project is completed) is about $29 million based on current zoning, with Avondale accounting for $14.5 million of this. As noted earlier, the commercial value of some of these racecourses could be 5 to 10 times or more their rateable land value with new zoning. A case in point is Avondale for which we have received a preliminary conservative valuation of about $100 million from a real estate company plus valuation indications from property developers and people in the racing industry of up to $200 million or more with the best zoning. For the 16 venues to be closed initially we believe that the realisable value may fall between $150 million and $300 million. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Some interesting thoughts...but "a bullet train to Levin" ?? Apart from logistics and astronomical cost, I doubt any of us would see it...;)

Now a bullet train to Petone could be apt....don't you think?......think about it , it'll come to you.....what do you need to put down an injured, terminal animal.....I rest my case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dibbles said:

Just a question was the land around Riccarton not in a trust that was not meant to be sold, look at it now all under development for housing? Seems to be that if all parties agree there is a way around selling the land.

That was to do with the Canterbury quake re-build - legislation had to be changed to enable that to happen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wasn't that many moons ago that they had lights for Night racing at Avondale racecourse, was it?

 

Will will see a history of regret with having all weather tracks and subsequently ripping them up as the weather will do what the wesather does as it has a mind of it's own.

 

Has anyone bothered to ask those in the wider community how they feel with potential loss of community social ocassions in primarly rural regions where they in fact have access to horses that spur an interest in the racing industry?

 

Or is it a case of ask less than 1,000 people like they did with our Free to Air Freeview TV coverage and kicking those at grass roots in the guts again?

 

It can't be that far away and the likes of John Allan's contract will be over and done with and yet anoither mess wilkl be left for others to pick up the pieces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now