Mattski

Messara Racing Review Full Report and 17 Key points

417 posts in this topic

In case any of you haven't read the report in full, here it is.

https://www.dia.govt.nz/vwluResources/Racing-Report-August-2018/$file/Review-of-the-NZ-Racing-Industry-Report.pdf

Needs digesting before commenting further as there are a number of "Fark me" moments..

The reduction of tracks has so many hooks in it from an ownership/ governance perspective.

The subtle dig regarding appropriate qualifications for Board members is not missed. Will affect new appointments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

In case any of you haven't read the report in full, here it is.

https://www.dia.govt.nz/vwluResources/Racing-Report-August-2018/$file/Review-of-the-NZ-Racing-Industry-Report.pdf

Needs digesting before commenting further as there are a number of "Fark me" moments..

The reduction of tracks has so many hooks in it from an ownership/ governance perspective.

The subtle dig regarding appropriate qualifications for Board members is not missed. Will affect new appointments.

And so it should, cant believe people who have no interest in racing control the running of it..its always been a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand It is difficult when you are working in the grassroots of the industry 7 days a week, to come up for air and see the big picture.

In the simplest of terms, the industry needs to engage with the 18 - 40yr olds with money as they are the group that will be racehorse owners in the future.....without owners, the industry is dead. Attracting this group through syndication has been paramount to the vibrant growth in racing Australia.

The industry needs to compete with the multitude of sporting codes and other forms of entertainment/gambling.  To do this racing needs to provide facilities and a package that gets this group to the races rather than the other sporting and entertainment events trying to get their dollar.  

Most of the comments I have heard from the "grassroots" of the industry in this thread seem to think the answer is people bringing a chillybin to their local track twice a year.  I'm afraid these once a year punters are not the answer.  The answer is the 18 - 40 yr olds who expect a great experience at a course with 2018 facilities.  These are the potential racehorse owners we need to attract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gofta said:

I understand It is difficult when you are working in the grassroots of the industry 7 days a week, to come up for air and see the big picture.

In the simplest of terms, the industry needs to engage with the 18 - 40yr olds with money as they are the group that will be racehorse owners in the future.....without owners, the industry is dead. Attracting this group through syndication has been paramount to the vibrant growth in racing Australia.

The industry needs to compete with the multitude of sporting codes and other forms of entertainment/gambling.  To do this racing needs to provide facilities and a package that gets this group to the races rather than the other sporting and entertainment events trying to get their dollar.  

Most of the comments I have heard from the "grassroots" of the industry in this thread seem to think the answer is people bringing a chillybin to their local track twice a year.  I'm afraid these once a year punters are not the answer.  The answer is the 18 - 40 yr olds who expect a great experience at a course with 2018 facilities.  These are the potential racehorse owners we need to attract.

Exactly and that is what BGL has tapped into...going to the races needs to be a modern and fun experience it is totally different to when me and many others went, it was not like today with so many online live feed experiences available that young people enjoy, racing needs to forget about the old days and get into the 21st century, or die...quite simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ascot said:

I have skimmed over the Messara report.

Mr, Messara suggests selling Avondale which he estimates would release maybe $200m to the industry.

I was told some years ago by Ron Murphy that the clever Dallies had changed the constitution of the club to ensure that if the club closed the proceeds of a sale would go to West Auckland sports clubs.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

 I would not be surprised.    However, what I could not get an answer from Avondale on was if they signed that document a couple of years ago that racing authority put out . It was to basically overrule club constitutions and make clubs agree to hand over any proceeds arising from a windup to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a question was the land around Riccarton not in a trust that was not meant to be sold, look at it now all under development for housing? Seems to be that if all parties agree there is a way around selling the land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gofta thank you for your comments about my post on stallion levies. Since 1983 the European Breeders Fund have allocated over £100,000,000 to horse racing stakes. I suggest you do a bit of research on what actually works overseas and could be duplicated here albeit in a scaled down version. It is churlish of you to suggest that myself and others who want NZ Racing to flourish want to destroy racing and or breeding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gubellini said:

Gofta thank you for your comments about my post on stallion levies. Since 1983 the European Breeders Fund have allocated over £100,000,000 to horse racing stakes. I suggest you do a bit of research on what actually works overseas and could be duplicated here albeit in a scaled down version. It is churlish of you to suggest that myself and others who want NZ Racing to flourish want to destroy racing and or breeding.

You seemto look at the 3-5 large breeders/studs and think all breeders are on the pigs back.  look a little deeper and understand what you are recommending would be the final straw for many of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gofta I have attended many Festival Sales at Karaka and seen yearlings sold for a tiny fraction of the Sires Service Fee. I sympathise with small breeders who are struggling. A 1or 2% levy would be a struggle to them but would provide better stakes down the line which every owner and racing breeder would benefit from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Gofta said:

You seemto look at the 3-5 large breeders/studs and think all breeders are on the pigs back.  look a little deeper and understand what you are recommending would be the final straw for many of them.

No we seem to think everyone who takes out or benefits from racing should contribute something, if there is pain to be had all should suffer some form or it... i think that is a reasonable thing to expect, why should it stay the same as always for some while other groups suffer???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ascot said:

I have skimmed over the Messara report.

Mr, Messara suggests selling Avondale which he estimates would release maybe $200m to the industry.

I was told some years ago by Ron Murphy that the clever Dallies had changed the constitution of the club to ensure that if the club closed the proceeds of a sale would go to West Auckland sports clubs.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

If it is correct it, would encapsulate a mindset holding back the NZ racing industry. Local, vested interests, placed ahead of the greater good.

Nostalgia must be placed aside. It's time to move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a small breeder re a levy, I would agree many would struggle paying more fees . Also thought for those knocking breeders - the large studs (as do the smaller breeders in a smaller scale) put a lot of money back into the industry racing their horses that do not sell at the sales and their fillies that they are retaining for breeding and through sponsorship, so I would not knock any breeder large or small!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dibbles said:

I agree with gugellini being a small breeder re a levy. Also thought for those knocking breeders - the large studs (as do the smaller breeders in a smaller scale) put a lot of money back into the industry racing their horses that do not sell at the sales and their fillies that they are retaining for breeding and through sponsorship, so I would not knock any breeder large or small!! 

I dont think people, well I know for me I am not knocking anyone, but everyone needs to contribute in some way if this is to be harmonious and unanimously adopted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gofta said:
1 hour ago, Gofta said:

 

In the simplest of terms, the industry needs to engage with the 18 - 40yr olds with money as they are the group that will be racehorse owners in the future.....without owners, the industry is dead. Attracting this group through syndication has been paramount to the vibrant growth in racing Australia.

The industry needs to compete with the multitude of sporting codes and other forms of entertainment/gambling.  To do this racing needs to provide facilities and a package that gets this group to the races rather than the other sporting and entertainment events trying to get their dollar.  

Most of the comments I have heard from the "grassroots" of the industry in this thread seem to think the answer is people bringing a chillybin to their local track twice a year.  I'm afraid these once a year punters are not the answer.  The answer is the 18 - 40 yr olds who expect a great experience at a course with 2018 facilities.  These are the potential racehorse owners we need to attract.

GOFTA YOU HAVE REFLECTED WHAT I SAID EXACTLY , EXCEPT YOU ARE NOW SAYING MYSELF AND MANY OTHER CHILLY BIN DRINKING OWNERS ARE BEING REPLACED BY SUIT WEARING WOULD BE IF THEY COULD BE,S... LOL...I AGREE WITH YOU THOUGH

 

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

Exactly and that is what BGL has tapped into...going to the races needs to be a modern and fun experience it is totally different to when me and many others went, it was not like today with so many online live feed experiences available that young people enjoy, racing needs to forget about the old days and get into the 21st century, or die...quite simple.

AGREE SCOOBS...CAN I JUST ADD, A MID 70,S MATE REFUSES TO PAY AT THE GATE (I RECKON ALOT OF THESE NEWBIES MAY HAVE THE SAME ATTITUDE)...

PAYING TO LOSE MONEY WHEN YOU CAN SIT AT HOME BY THE FIRE ON YOUR COMPUTER AND WATCH AND BET...(MAYBE NZTR CAN FUND THE GATE...% OF ON-COURSE BETTING)  

19 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Gofta I have attended many Festival Sales at Karaka and seen yearlings sold for a tiny fraction of the Sires Service Fee. I sympathise with small breeders who are struggling. A 1or 2% levy would be a struggle to them but would provide better stakes down the line which every owner and racing breeder would benefit from.

AGREE TOTALLY AND BETTER STAKES THE ANSWER GUB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

No we seem to think everyone who takes out or benefits from racing should contribute something, if there is pain to be had all should suffer some form or it... i think that is a reasonable thing to expect, why should it stay the same as always for some while other groups suffer???

well thats exactly what happens with Tax, if the Government provided me with benefits and favours relative to tax paid I would be very happy. Not to the hapless beneficiary 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Richmond Tiger said:

well thats exactly what happens with Tax, if the Government provided me with benefits and favours relative to tax paid I would be very happy. Not to the hapless beneficiary 

Or you could end up with a 'busted arse'......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's implement Messara's report as soon as possible.

I like so many of you pray it will work.

If not , then more than likely we will be back to square 1.

Which might be the best way to get there, clean the board, (drain the swamp)ahem

We do need a massive clear out in so many areas.

If this doesn't work then pfp has every right to throw his hat in the ring and take the Industry back to where it should rightfully be and starting from scratch might just be the answer after all

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, porky said:

GOFTA YOU HAVE REFLECTED WHAT I SAID EXACTLY , EXCEPT YOU ARE NOW SAYING MYSELF AND MANY OTHER CHILLY BIN DRINKING OWNERS ARE BEING REPLACED BY SUIT WEARING WOULD BE IF THEY COULD BE,S... LOL...I AGREE WITH YOU THOUGH

 

AGREE SCOOBS...CAN I JUST ADD, A MID 70,S MATE REFUSES TO PAY AT THE GATE (I RECKON ALOT OF THESE NEWBIES MAY HAVE THE SAME ATTITUDE)...

PAYING TO LOSE MONEY WHEN YOU CAN SIT AT HOME BY THE FIRE ON YOUR COMPUTER AND WATCH AND BET...(MAYBE NZTR CAN FUND THE GATE...% OF ON-COURSE BETTING)  

AGREE TOTALLY AND BETTER STAKES THE ANSWER GUB.

No need to SHOUT Porky....:rcf-laughing-3:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, nearly 150 posts and still no one has commented on the Elephant in the room..that being the City of Suits that have been amassed by NZTR and NZ Racing and the T.A.B.

When will you all learn that these cling-ons are suffocating the industry's coffers.

Clearly, Messara has not had this pointed out to him judging by the 17 point plan divulged last evening.

Just another Mickey Mouse outfit that will result in NZ's racing devolving into Big Business's control..that's Australis not NZ's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nothing really new in report which cost ,,,? good luck in trying to close Stratford and Waverely. !! (its been on agenda for at least 10 years .)Why not look at the millions spent in salaries for a top heavy industry. When I was trying to save 1 club I rented out a club house to get income(which I could have lived in)fsold the secretarys club vehicle  took meals off,horsemen and committee even gave licences away to prevent loss making meetings (reluctantly)also did away withat least 75% of racedaystaff .If all the Boards were honest they could do the same on a macro scale and return millions to the industry. The difficulty now is its hard in most cities to even finda tab/no teletext/racebooks not widely sold no free to air promotions just no fresh ideas coming through. In usa the only answer has been attaching mini casinos to each track and I know the screams already but  it could be the answer to survival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Racing may not be the only sport in the poo.St Andrews golf course in Waimate up for sale.

Southland Golf Club (Oreti Sands) shut up shop earlier this year. Cashflow and aging membership... sound familiar. 

The racing industry needs to move forward and should be embracing the olive branch handed to them by Winston ("do it or die"). I'm no fan of the man but he's fronted up and is prepared to put his support behind change that builds a better future for ALL industry participants. Go you good thing!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Spyro said:

 I would not be surprised.    However, what I could not get an answer from Avondale on was if they signed that document a couple of years ago that racing authority put out . It was to basically overrule club constitutions and make clubs agree to hand over any proceeds arising from a windup to them.

He hasn't missed it....

Re the sale of freehold land of racecourses that are to be closed, 16 of the initial 20 racecourses to be closed are freehold or part freehold. The rateable land value of the initial 16 courses to be closed (that is excluding Te Rapa, Te Awamutu and Cambridge which will not be closed before the proposed Waikato Greenfields Project is completed) is about $29 million based on current zoning, with Avondale accounting for $14.5 million of this. As noted earlier, the commercial value of some of these racecourses could be 5 to 10 times or more their rateable land value with new zoning. A case in point is Avondale for which we have received a preliminary conservative valuation of about $100 million from a real estate company plus valuation indications from property developers and people in the racing industry of up to $200 million or more with the best zoning. For the 16 venues to be closed initially we believe that the realisable value may fall between $150 million and $300 million. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dibbles said:

Just a question was the land around Riccarton not in a trust that was not meant to be sold, look at it now all under development for housing? Seems to be that if all parties agree there is a way around selling the land.

From the report :

In this regard we have noted with interest the developments at Riccarton Park since 2015. As we understand it, 38 hectares of Christchurch Racecourse Reserve land at Riccarton Park was converted to freehold land in the name of the Trustees, that is for the benefit the Canterbury JC, and was able to be sold for the development of 600 residential units provided 180 of them fitted within the definition of “affordable housing”. The land sale proceeds were $16 million, and these monies are being invested by the Trustees in order to pay Canterbury JC an annuity to assist with their capital and operating expenditures. This initiative was promoted by the then Minister for Building and Housing and the Christchurch City Council. To make this happen a Riccarton Racecourse Enabling Act was passed by the New Zealand Government and a Riccarton Racecourse Local Act was passed by the Christchurch City Council. The development is now underway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now