RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mattski

Messara Racing Review Full Report and 17 Key points

I can see this whole land appropriation thing being a huge shit fight.  Lawyers will cream the thick end of the proceeds. I suppose the authorities will argue they paid a portion of upkeep, if that's the case. But I might look after the garden if I rented a house , but I don't own the bloody house.  Club members will argue the free labour over generations of people over the years. Likes Reefton have a sports field in middle I recollect so what's guts of that , sub divide the 1000 metre track , would be an odd housing development.  Authorities got whip hand in  killing clubs due to fixture allocation but acquisition of   that much  land with no payment, wow that's gone on in some now third world countries has it not.

Would the US jockey club or BHA in UK steam in and force takeover Churchill Downs Inc tracks , Stronach Group tracks or Arena Leisure tracks with no financial compensation and give proceeds out at other tracks. Never ever zilch chance , they would be made  mincement of in court. Bay Meadows in California gone sold , now a Mall proceeds re invested in same  companies other tracks ,likewise Hollywood Park , not some other track owned by someone else.That's generally how business works . 

4 hours ago, bloke said:

Listening to some of the fish heads Its seems that many of the problems with NZ Racing have been caused by the small clubs who must sell their assets and gift the proceeds to the industry  as reparation for being leeches on the industry over a long period.

The real truth is that the big clubs such as Trentham who set some sort of record by going bust twice in a few years (as Wellington and then Race) are the real bludgers and reading this morning's Dom Post the CEO of Trentham has the cheek to pontificate about the small Clubs and he is lining up with his hand out for more bludging   

Agree Wellington, Palmy and Hastings all have no money.Interesting all the industry players they’ve talked to on the radio are keen on the proposed changes but they all will directly benefit from their locations.Havent heard any spokesperson from the clubs directly affected yet.Maybe Des Coppins could explain to us all tomorrow why his club is worthy of staying .

Racing: Axing clubs is NOT a done deal

1 Sep, 2018 5:00am
 3 minutes to read
Officials from Avondale Racecourse in Auckland have been raging against the dying of the light for years.
Officials from Avondale Racecourse in Auckland have been raging against the dying of the light for years.
NZ Herald

Thoroughbred racing bosses vowing to listen.

The closure of 20 racetracks around the country suggested in the Messara report is far from a done deal.

And thoroughbred racing bosses say they will listen to cases put forward by those clubs whose tracks are facing the axe.

The Messara review of racing was released by Racing Minister Winston Peters on Thursday and the most emotionally jarring recommendation was the closure of 20 thoroughbred tracks to save costs and in some cases for the land to be sold to contribute to racing's future.

The economics of closing at least some of New Zealand's 48 thoroughbred tracks is indisputable, the major problem being nobody wants it to be their club.

Although those behind the jewel in the crown of racetrack closure, Avondale, won't officially comment on the proposed sale of their track with the money to go into industry coffers, they have raged against the dying of the light for decades so don't look likely to sell up and give up.

Others such as Rotorua and Timaru, who between them have 18 meetings this season, are simply against closure and believe their local communities will be too.

"We have a meeting to discuss the report, and obviously our recommended closure, next week," said Rotorua chairman Andrew Bryant.

"But I am absolutely certain we will make our case to stay open. We are disappointed because we were never consulted about any of this.

"And even if the about 50 per cent of the track we own outright was ever closed and sold, I am sure the local community would want that money staying in Rotorua, not going to meetings in Tauranga.

"I don't think that makes long-term sense."

Timaru president Noel Walker says their track is the best racing surface in the South Island and the industry wouldn't be getting any of the club's money.

Although the track closures were a key recommendation of the Messara report, NZTR boss Bernard Saundry says the 20 tracks suggested are not all certain to close. "Obviously we can't survive with 48 tracks, we can't afford to run them all and I think everybody in the industry agrees on that," says Saundry.

"But the minister was very open about the fact there would be room for consultation and we will listen to what clubs have to say, of course we will.

"Some clubs may want to sell and then restructure and we will listen to their ideas."

While Messara's list is a starting point and the majority of the tracks mooted for closure will almost certainly do so, few people at even the highest levels of New Zealand racing have yet got their heads around how the acquisition of any funds from those sales will go.

The exact legal footing under which New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing can annex the proceeds from any racetracks sold was hazy to most of the dozens of industry participants the Weekend Herald spoke to yesterday.

Confusing matters further, the three codes have been working together on their own future venue plan, to be released in October, and some of the tracks Messara has suggested closing were not on the code's hit list so could be saved.

Chopping block
The 20 tracks mooted for closure are: 
Dargaville, Avondale, Thames, Rotorua, Wairoa, Stratford, Hawera, Waipukurau, Woodville, Reefton, Greymouth, Hokitika, Motukarara, Timaru, Kurow, Oamaru, Waimate, Omakau, Winton and Gore.

The article above from the Herald.

Not sure how much of a hearing those 20 clubs will get...

If not all of the 20 clubs are for the chop, then how many and which ones do racecafers agree are best to be gone?

Why would the Dual Code tracks at Timaru, Oamaru, Gore, Winton and Wyndham all be done away with? Wouldn't their (if any) upkeep be 50% funded by harness therefore making them more attractive to keep? Especially as most of them have good surfaces. 

Obviously wasn't possible for Forbury move out to the Wingatui venue, or Addington and Riccarton to start fresh somewhere with sale proceeds? CJC would want more than muskets from this next sale though.  

Are the gypsies in the most trouble as they will now have to fund 100% of the dual code venues that Nztr are due to cut off?

Mr Peters said Gypies and Dogs will both be better off after all changes are implemented, but also said that betting % payouts will be aligned to each codes generation (which I agree with, sports included). So I imagine the two minor codes will be struggling until Mr Peters grand plan starts to pay off.....    

1 hour ago, dock leaf said:

The article above from the Herald.

Not sure how much of a hearing those 20 clubs will get...

If not all of the 20 clubs are for the chop, then how many and which ones do racecafers agree are best to be gone?

Why would the Dual Code tracks at Timaru, Oamaru, Gore, Winton and Wyndham all be done away with? Wouldn't their (if any) upkeep be 50% funded by harness therefore making them more attractive to keep? Especially as most of them have good surfaces. 

Obviously wasn't possible for Forbury move out to the Wingatui venue, or Addington and Riccarton to start fresh somewhere with sale proceeds? CJC would want more than muskets from this next sale though.  

Are the gypsies in the most trouble as they will now have to fund 100% of the dual code venues that Nztr are due to cut off?

Mr Peters said Gypies and Dogs will both be better off after all changes are implemented, but also said that betting % payouts will be aligned to each codes generation (which I agree with, sports included). So I imagine the two minor codes will be struggling until Mr Peters grand plan starts to pay off.....    

Just about all of those South Island tracks are dual code....Motukarara is a lovely spot on Banks Peninsula....grass track trots.

I can only wish them luck writing that into legislation without overriding the provisions of the Acts under which clubs are constitutionalised. If they somehow succeed, I'd say we will have a lot less racing clubs. That section is fraught with error. It somehow seems to be arguing that club members don't own the assets. Of course they don't and that is written in most constitutions as he points out. Everyone knows that.The entity owns the assets and they are to be deployed for the objectives of the club and in the event of dissolution, generally to be distributed charitably to the communities which provided and developed them.

It would be a heist alright if they can pull it off. I doubt it though and it will certainly take years if it happens and the clubs will then just walk away and de-register so they are not bound by the Act.

20 hours ago, Huey said:

Youre kidding right?

That's been done to death and if racing fully subscribes to that mantra its dead and buried in this country.

Ever raced a horse with some of these 18-40yos ? they have they staying power/patience of an Aus breed stayer in the MC , when do they get involved and how at club level cause thats still an integral part of racing in this country.  That's why most of them are suited to those big stable syndicates that stroke their ego,engage in extreme hype,have a handbook of excuses and brush their brow when they enviably realise that not every horse is fast and that they don't win all the time. Yep they'll defintely save the industry .. but I digress.

Gofta you are spot on.....without the next generation of owners, this industry will not survive. Attend the races in Australia, its great see so many younger owners on course, they are the future of the industry and Huey, we need to engage this demographic more to set up our future.

Agreed. If the racing clubs own the courses, how can the N.Z.R.B. assume ownership unless by illegal chicanery. The board could withdraw licences to hold meetings but can't take land to which it has no right. Likewise, who owns the T.A.B.? Having read the book on its history a few years ago, I gained the impression that it owned itself. Understood that loans raised from racing clubs, when it was established in 1951, were quickly repaid. Since then, I imagine that a government has presumed ownership of a cash cow, soon to be flog it off to the highest bidder.

Agree with the rationalization of courses. Example - West Coast of South Island can't justify 4 courses for gallops (was 5) when all are pony tracks, hold very few meetings per year and will never raise the revenue to improve facilities from so few meetings. Despite the distances, it should still be seen as a community and one course of a good size with good facilities should be the aim. Awapuni has incorporated Feilding, Marton, Rangitikei, Ashhurst-Pohangina (was a course at Ashhurst once) clubs and each can maintain an identity. With the decline of rural populations and better roads, travel to another venue should not be seen as a deterrent to attending. Other factors have impacted on racing; 7 days shopping, which lead to 7 working days, Lotto for its ease and promotion as a game (whereas it is poor gambling),  the rise of coffee culture - once was just a hot drink but now almost a cultural experience, shorter attention spans whereby people panic if they are not attached to their cell-phones continuously, shopping now seen as a leisure activity for many.

As with other sports, attendance is greater where better quality events are held. How many watch club rugby now?

3 hours ago, Phar Lap Fan said:

Agreed. If the racing clubs own the courses, how can the N.Z.R.B. assume ownership unless by illegal chicanery. The board could withdraw licences to hold meetings but can't take land to which it has no right. Likewise, who owns the T.A.B.? Having read the book on its history a few years ago, I gained the impression that it owned itself. Understood that loans raised from racing clubs, when it was established in 1951, were quickly repaid. Since then, I imagine that a government has presumed ownership of a cash cow, soon to be flog it off to the highest bidder.

Agree with the rationalization of courses. Example - West Coast of South Island can't justify 4 courses for gallops (was 5) when all are pony tracks, hold very few meetings per year and will never raise the revenue to improve facilities from so few meetings. Despite the distances, it should still be seen as a community and one course of a good size with good facilities should be the aim. Awapuni has incorporated Feilding, Marton, Rangitikei, Ashhurst-Pohangina (was a course at Ashhurst once) clubs and each can maintain an identity. With the decline of rural populations and better roads, travel to another venue should not be seen as a deterrent to attending. Other factors have impacted on racing; 7 days shopping, which lead to 7 working days, Lotto for its ease and promotion as a game (whereas it is poor gambling),  the rise of coffee culture - once was just a hot drink but now almost a cultural experience, shorter attention spans whereby people panic if they are not attached to their cell-phones continuously, shopping now seen as a leisure activity for many.

As with other sports, attendance is greater where better quality events are held. How many watch club rugby now?

How can you make comment when you can't even distinguish between the administrative body and the wagering arm in the industry?

5 hours ago, poundforpound said:

They’ve managed their affairs well ( real estate ) for a long time 

Curiously, it's the clubs that have managed their affairs well that would be at the greatest risk from this being effected, Ellerslie in particular. I'm assuming that some consultation occurred with the larger clubs like Ellerslie, Te Rapa etc. for this to be in the report since they carry the bulk of the voting power at NZTR level? It would be interesting to know if those clubs actually support this.

16 hours ago, poundforpound said:

... and the likes of MIA / PAM Jackson will now control ALL the industries assets.!!!

If this report's recommendations are effected, or largely so, we may have to reconsider the MIA / PAM label (I note here that I have not been a big fan either). However, this report's recommendations align quite closely with Jackson's preferred direction announced following the Deloitte report last year and the NZTR intent to discuss with the minister that direction which was in disagreement with NZRB strategy and still is, so, will give some traction to that.

At that time Jackson's Address to the AGM was reported as follows:

In his address to the NZTR Annual General Meeting on Thursday, Board chairman Dr Alan Jackson outlined the major racing issues which needed to be addressed over the next three years. NZTR will ask that the Government: 

•  Finalise and enact the Racefields legislation in a manner which ensures NZTR can charge commercially competitive fees, to encourage overseas operators to offer betting on New Zealand racing. 
  • Support NZTR to modernise key racetrack infrastructure, to deliver a sustainable programme for thoroughbred racing.  
  • Consider reinvesting totalisator and gaming duty into transformational projects such as infrastructure and racing showcases.  
  • Ensure that the operations and costs of the NZ Racing Board (NZRB), and its business model, are at scale and internationally competitive in a global wagering world.  
  • Provide financial and regulatory support for a key racing showcase between November and February that creates tourism through a racing carnival that will focus on increasing participation in wagering and customer activity from Australia and Asia.  
  • Review and update the structure of the Racing Act, to clarify the accountability, roles and responsibilities and performance expectations between the New Zealand Racing Board and the codes.

It seems to me that the recommendations in the Messara report are a pretty solid advance on that and indeed go further, no?

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Curiously, it's the clubs that have managed their affairs well that would be at the greatest risk from this being effected, Ellerslie in particular. I'm assuming that some consultation occurred with the larger clubs like Ellerslie, Te Rapa etc. for this to be in the report since they carry the bulk of the voting power at NZTR level? It would be interesting to know if those clubs actually support this.

Ironically many of the clubs that are doing well and have assets in land as well as in the bank has become the noose over their necks. This whole plan is flawed as one of the main keys to the success of this plan is the confiscation all all the assets of these proud community Racing clubs. Sounds like we are back in the 1800’s and the land wars.Im hoping all those intended for slaughter band together and shut the concept down . They have no right to change the law to pillage honest hardworking clubs.

I don't really follow the industry a lot, just a casual observer but there are a few questions/points I had with the whole thing....

Why is an Australian having such a say in this? Is it that hard to find a Kiwi with no vested interests?

Why cull Gore, but keep Waikouaiti? Gore is dual code and the track, from what I'm told, has pretty good drainage. Not to mention it is a lot handier for trainers further north. I was told Messara didn't even spend 5 minutes at Gore and didn't even look at the track.

23 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Leggy, Ellerslie is well aware of their vulnerability but they seem ( incredibly ) to believe this is the way forward.

I’m only quoting two of the committee though but there seems to be a consensus ( nice horse that ).

Maybe because they also have the voting power to ensure control over how and where the heist is effected?

2 hours ago, puha said:

Ironically many of the clubs that are doing well and have assets in land as well as in the bank has become the noose over their necks. This whole plan is flawed as one of the main keys to the success of this plan is the confiscation all all the assets of these proud community Racing clubs. Sounds like we are back in the 1800’s and the land wars.Im hoping all those intended for slaughter band together and shut the concept down . They have no right to change the law to pillage honest hardworking clubs.

Yep , it'll also send many of the horsemen and horsewomen and the real base of the game out of the industry the impact of that will be felt over the coming years, I know of several at our track who will be lost from the game forever. It's terribly disappointing to hear the lack of empathy for these people from all of the trainers that have been interviewed on trackside etc that aren't really impacted, too naive to realise this could happen to them and the impact it will have of them in the future.

29 minutes ago, brenrox said:

I don't really follow the industry a lot, just a casual observer but there are a few questions/points I had with the whole thing....

Why is an Australian having such a say in this? Is it that hard to find a Kiwi with no vested interests?

Why cull Gore, but keep Waikouaiti? Gore is dual code and the track, from what I'm told, has pretty good drainage. Not to mention it is a lot handier for trainers further north. I was told Messara didn't even spend 5 minutes at Gore and didn't even look at the track.

Basically it's the easiest way of getting change through have someone do it who doesn't have to put up with the backlash and the end result of it all and can cop the blame for what the leaders of the industry didn't have the guts or expertise to see through in the first place.

There is no logic to the track closures , apart from perhaps is the track Freehold? , but I think both of those venues are Freehold you mention is there a large trainer there perhaps? Does the facility have flash stands cause horses race really well where there are flash stands never mind the track. Never mind the stands can come and go but as we have seen over the past years if your track is poked is probably always going to be that way.

You'd be right about the 5 mins , that appeared to be the case at most of the venues visited.

1 hour ago, puha said:

Yep they seem only to be interviewing the ones to gain. Let’s here the toothless trainers association stand up for their members ,.Yeah right

Absolutely. I think we all agree, there needs to be a complete overhaul. BUT, when I see articles quoting  Murray Baker, David Ellis, Tony Pike and especially Alan Jackson, I get very, very angry.  They are luckier than most in the industry as they have influence...and yet they couldn’t speak up or make a stand. As I said to Arrowfield on Friday, they’re all waiting for someone else to speak up and devise a plan.  Oh well, why would they want to speak up?  Life’s been good to these people now speaking up...if we need to pay a bill, just sell another horse.....

Alan Jackson...? Now says NZTR supports the reform?  P,ease correct me if I’m wrong but has he not been in a position where he could have provoked change? 

Had a mate up from the South Island for the Tarzino, over a few beers he agreed, things need to change...and when looking at the cull list, he also mentioned duel code race-courses that could be saved to stop long travel times...  and the obvious ones for the chop (eg.Waipukarau) where there are too many courses (as sad as it may be) they will need to be ruthless and rustle a few feathers i suppose e.g Ellerslie V Avondale. 

Expect they are (or should be) basing changes on location, population and local trainers operating there, / dual-tri code viability, and finally financial return possibility to racing.

BUT WHEN THE JOB IS SEEN TO HAVE BEEN ACHIEVED AND THE POOR RURAL RACE-GOER ROBBED OF THEIR FIX, AND STAKES DOUBLED  SHORT TERM, FROM THE PROCEEDS OF SALES, AND WINSTON RETIRES A HAPPY MAN...WHATS THE LONG TERM PLAN MR ACCOUNTANT?...(NO SILVERWARE LEFT IN THE CUPBOARD.)

GET SOME BUMS ON SEATS AT THE RACES AND MAKE IT A FUN DAY OUT...YESTERDAY WAS A GOOD DAY...WELL DONE HASTINGS.

21 hours ago, dock leaf said:

The economics of closing at least some of New Zealand's 48 thoroughbred tracks is indisputable, the major problem being nobody wants it to be their club.

Although those behind the jewel in the crown of racetrack closure, Avondale, won't officially comment on the proposed sale of their track with the money to go into industry coffers, they have raged against the dying of the light for decades so don't look likely to sell up and give up.

Others such as Rotorua and Timaru, who between them have 18 meetings this season, are simply against closure and believe their local communities will be too.

"We have a meeting to discuss the report, and obviously our recommended closure, next week," said Rotorua chairman Andrew Bryant.

"But I am absolutely certain we will make our case to stay open. We are disappointed because we were never consulted about any of this.

"And even if the about 50 per cent of the track we own outright was ever closed and sold, I am sure the local community would want that money staying in Rotorua, not going to meetings in Tauranga.

Timaru president Noel Walker says their track is the best racing surface in the South Island and the industry wouldn't be getting any of the club's money.

Although the track closures were a key recommendation of the Messara report, NZTR boss Bernard Saundry says the 20 tracks suggested are not all certain to close. "Obviously we can't survive with 48 tracks, we can't afford to run them all and I think everybody in the industry agrees on that," says Saundry.

"But the minister was very open about the fact there would be room for consultation and we will listen to what clubs have to say, of course we will.

"Some clubs may want to sell and then restructure and we will listen to their ideas."

While Messara's list is a starting point and the majority of the tracks mooted for closure will almost certainly do so, few people at even the highest levels of New Zealand racing have yet got their heads around how the acquisition of any funds from those sales will go.