RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mattski

Messara Racing Review Full Report and 17 Key points

sIn the past clubs have sold assets (mainly land) at what benefit to the clubs.....it would appear nothing.

If a business has to sell assets to stay afloat then normally it is stuffed.

Racing today has been screwed by decision makers of the past ,you know the ones,they who wear special jackets at meetings to distinguish themselves from the common man.

Just my opinion.

3 hours ago, Gofta said:

To keep Avondale you would need to blow up the stands and pour 50 million into building new facilities.  I would rather sell it and take the $200million.  Its called business.  Its thinking like yours that got us into this predicament

Who stays and who goes should never be about who has the best stand , that's one of the things that got the industry into this mess.

Besides that the EQ assessment will probably not be adequate at most venues.

What a merry ole mix up,  FAARK ...just sort it Winny...rustling as few features as poss for the betterment of NZ RACING. (if possible)

You will be remembered IF racing folk say "He done a good job" 

4 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

He hasn't missed it....

Re the sale of freehold land of racecourses that are to be closed, 16 of the initial 20 racecourses to be closed are freehold or part freehold. The rateable land value of the initial 16 courses to be closed (that is excluding Te Rapa, Te Awamutu and Cambridge which will not be closed before the proposed Waikato Greenfields Project is completed)

4 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

From the report :

In this regard we have noted with interest the developments at Riccarton Park since 2015. As we understand it, 38 hectares of Christchurch Racecourse Reserve land at Riccarton Park was converted to freehold land in the name of the Trustees, that is for the benefit the Canterbury JC, and was able to be sold for the development of 600 residential units provided 180 of them fitted within the definition of “affordable housing”. The land sale proceeds were $16 million, and these monies are being invested by the Trustees in order to pay Canterbury JC an annuity to assist with their capital and operating expenditures. This initiative was promoted by the then Minister for Building and Housing and the Christchurch City Council. To make this happen a Riccarton Racecourse Enabling Act was passed by the New Zealand Government and a Riccarton Racecourse Local Act was passed by the Christchurch City Council. The development is now underway. 

So this will stir it up why not sell Ellerslie if avondale is a greenbelt and cant be sold, Avondale is a great surface add some lights again and have summer night racing on a synthetic track and  say a Strathayr turf track. Ellerslie must be worth a fortune and has major track issues.

8 hours ago, Gofta said:

I understand It is difficult when you are working in the grassroots of the industry 7 days a week, to come up for air and see the big picture.

In the simplest of terms, the industry needs to engage with the 18 - 40yr olds with money as they are the group that will be racehorse owners in the future.....without owners, the industry is dead. Attracting this group through syndication has been paramount to the vibrant growth in racing Australia.

The industry needs to compete with the multitude of sporting codes and other forms of entertainment/gambling.  To do this racing needs to provide facilities and a package that gets this group to the races rather than the other sporting and entertainment events trying to get their dollar.  

Most of the comments I have heard from the "grassroots" of the industry in this thread seem to think the answer is people bringing a chillybin to their local track twice a year.  I'm afraid these once a year punters are not the answer.  The answer is the 18 - 40 yr olds who expect a great experience at a course with 2018 facilities.  These are the potential racehorse owners we need to attract.

Youre kidding right?

That's been done to death and if racing fully subscribes to that mantra its dead and buried in this country.

Ever raced a horse with some of these 18-40yos ? they have they staying power/patience of an Aus breed stayer in the MC , when do they get involved and how at club level cause thats still an integral part of racing in this country.  That's why most of them are suited to those big stable syndicates that stroke their ego,engage in extreme hype,have a handbook of excuses and brush their brow when they enviably realise that not every horse is fast and that they don't win all the time. Yep they'll defintely save the industry .. but I digress.

4 minutes ago, Huey said:

Youre kidding right?

That's been done to death and if racing fully subscribes to that mantra its dead and buried in this country.

Ever raced a horse with some of these 18-40yos ? they have they staying power/patience of an Aus breed stayer in the MC , when do they get involved and how at club level cause thats still an integral part of racing in this country.  That's why most of them are suited to those big stable syndicates that stroke their ego,engage in extreme hype,have a handbook of excuses and brush their brow when they enviably realise that not every horse is fast and that they don't win all the time. Yep they'll defintely save the industry .. but I digress.

No but we still need them to Huey we need EVERYONE...so we should not dismiss they have a part to play.

49 minutes ago, newbie85 said:

One good thing came out of this report and that is that the $'s CJC/Reserve Trustees received is now in the OPEN

This has been kept secret using Confidentiality and  Commercial Reasons but now we can all see it was from EMBARRASEMENT at how they got "screwed"

The word was that the sale would be  generate$30-40 million for CJC/Reserve Trustees and by doing so secure Racing for Canterbury into the future 

Do the MATHS $16mil divide by 600 Sections = $26,666 per section. Ngai Tahu are currently selling 218m2 sections @ $178,000 - 500m2 $270,000

Will $16mil invested at 3-4% do much for racing. 

And we have these people taking us into the future !!!!!

Well if they want to put in a synthetic there, that will eat half of the 16m at least and the rest will go maintaining it in the next 5-10 years. It's clear that it would be illegal to use RDF funds for that, something among many other things that the report writer doesn't seem to have grasped. Some deal they made. Hard to believe that got by the CJC committee, if they had any say.

2 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

No but we still need them to Huey we need EVERYONE...so we should not dismiss they have a part to play.

I can see your point Scooby we need them but we don't need the rural clubs,trainers,track riders,life members etc just their land thats all ?

1 minute ago, Huey said:

I can see your point Scooby we need them but we don't need the rural clubs,trainers,track riders,life members etc just their land thats all ?

No but its a start decisions MUST be made and we need to make it happen and the right decisions made, if we all make our views as a united front then we have a chance...Petone and Wellington look in here.

ya get the odd winx (very odd) Huey...one way or another (chilly bin and jandels syndicates) and this new age suit mob keep the industry ticking over and people on-course from the bottom up.

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

Huey whats up mate? ...you need an early night ! you joke surely ? are they all going to f*** off to Oz as well ? 

9 minutes ago, Huey said:

14 minutes ago, porky said:

ya get the odd winx (very odd) Huey...one way or another (chilly bin and jandels syndicates) and this new age suit mob keep the industry ticking over and people on-course from the bottom up.

Huey whats up mate? ...you need an early night ! you joke surely ? are they all going to f*** off to Oz as well ? 

No they are probably going to throw the game in, new age mob keep the bar ticking over don't you mean?

22 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

No but its a start decisions MUST be made and we need to make it happen and the right decisions made, if we all make our views as a united front then we have a chance...Petone and Wellington look in here.

Don't quite get that Scooby. What is a start?

31 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Well if they want to put in a synthetic there, that will eat half of the 16m at least and the rest will go maintaining it in the next 5-10 years. It's clear that it would be illegal to use RDF funds for that, something among many other things that the report writer doesn't seem to have grasped. Some deal they made. Hard to believe that got by the CJC committee, if they had any say.

But the CJC don't get the 16mill....only the interest from it.

Don't see much help for synthetic installation there.

9 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Any down sides for the big studs in this report?

Doesn't look that way, but I did chuckle at one small stud who were praising the report , did they not realise its going to wipe out a significant proportion of their current clientele .

3 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

But the CJC don't get the 16mill....only the interest from it.

Don't see much help for synthetic installation there.

Yeahhh, well I guess that could pay the interest on a loan for the installation? How they could pay it off and maintain it with no increased revenue projections is anybody's guess.

8 hours ago, Uriah Heap said:

If it is correct it, would encapsulate a mindset holding back the NZ racing industry. Local, vested interests, placed ahead of the greater good.

Nostalgia must be placed aside. It's time to move on.

Absolutely so long as it doesn't directly impact me , is that what you're saying?

Gore not playing the game .

A couple of years ago a committeeman from another club told me this would happen to their asset  if their club was ever forced to sell .

"If we can't race here, we'll disband, sell our assets and give the money to the Gore community," Gore Racing Club president Justine Abernethy said.

2 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Gore not playing the game .

A couple of years ago a committeeman from another club told me this would happen to their asset  if their club was ever forced to sell .

"If we can't race here, we'll disband, sell our assets and give the money to the Gore community," Gore Racing Club president Justine Abernethy said.

Yip, that's what will happen I'm picking if clubs are forced to vacate their courses and Assets will be returned to the communities that built them and not to NZ Racing. A total and idiotic flaw in the report's plan. Just one of the things obviously not thought through or consulted on.

3 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Its some talking points and if we dont agree lets all come up with BETTER options then, thats all i am suggesting, no good bleating on this is wrong thats wrong come up with something better.

Many of us have done that a decade ago and since. It falls on deaf ears and apart from the obvious in this report that most agree on, the rest is an unsubstantiated crock of shit and some important ingredients are completely missing. Very disappointing. I expected something a bit more robust from John.

6 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

These are the initial 20 closures RR with others to follow after track constructions.

.Dargaville

Avondale

Thames

Rotorua

Wairoa
Stratford
Hawera
Waipukurau Woodville
Reefton
Greymouth Hokitika
Motukarara Timaru
Kurow
Oamaru
Waimate
Omakau
Winton
Gore 

The proceeds from those tracks will give sweet fuck all,  if Avondale can’t be sold. 

Rotorua the exception.