RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mattski

Messara Racing Review Full Report and 17 Key points

7 hours ago, poundforpound said:

The more I read this the more I realize Massarra hasn’t an original idea in his head...rather he’s done a lap of the country listening to the fuckwits who’ve already driven the industry into the ground and then amalgamated their useless ideas and produced this pile of shite.

Hard to understand why he’d listen to those who’ve already fucked the industry up, I’d have started with some visionary thinking myself.

You got the "mess" bit right but "iah" was the wrong suffix.

Point 2 as outlined by P4P.

My thoughts for what they are worth .

Have they identified tracks to sell off ? If so those tracks must fit a simple criteria I would have thought

1. Be in poor condition surface and facilities wise

2. Be worth something as I love Omoto for example  , been many times but is it worth anything land wise it's a flood area. Though does dry bloody well , amazingly well.I hope Omoto stays by the way.

3. Is there a better facility that stakeholders in region can use

4. Probably the most important I suppose when liquidising assets , do I OWN it therefore legally have the power  to sell it up and take the money.

Seems to me point four don't apply to a lot of these tracks. If I was a volunteer 3rd 4th generation I would be inclined to fight for my community to get the funds if racing went west at track to use for another activity to improve community  facilities. Is it almost a reverse Robin Hood situation.

However there must be a few clubs that fit points 1 to 4 and something does need doing . But if likes of Ellerslie cannot get there shit together why should likes of Omoto bail them out.

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Point by point

1. We will take our most valuable asset, the TAB, and all its associated IP, and transfer control of it to the Australians, because we can trust them, and we’ve had a great run with Australians involvement in NZ Racing.

2. We’ll take what we don’t own, all the provincial tracks and associated real estate, and Auckland’s best racing track, Avondale, and we’ll just tear up their constitutions, tell the hard working members that their asset is now ours, turn those assets into cash because selling the family silver always works, then we’ll give the cash to the thoroughbred code to use at their will because they’ve been very successful running the code to date.

3. We’ll empower Alan Jackson and his team to determine our future because Alan Jackson has done so many amazing things since he’s been involved in NZ Racing politics over the last 12+ years.

4. We will hand over all our scheduling rights and media control to the Australians because we know they’d never relegate a decent group race from NZ behind an insignificant event from Toowoomba, nor would they abbreviate our lead in time to our big races, and they’d never never cut away from a post race human interest interview to another camel race from Ayers Rock.

5. We’ll bend over and part our cheeks for the big breeders because they’ve done such a marvelous job themselves completely rogering their own breeding sector and now they deserve to be subsidized by raping the Racing assets.

6. We’ll build three synthetic tracks ( not that silly authentic Strathayr rubbish ) using tax payers money because we know that synthetic track Racing is easy to sell abroad, and horses with nice actions like synthetic tracks. Tax payers won’t resent us spending their money illegally in metropolitan areas because we’ve got enough Police, teachers, nurses etc.already...and money spent illegally on a wax based track in CHCH is money well spent, and more worthy than the repatriation of a comatosed tax paying mother lying in intensive care in Bali or another couple of nurses in A&E.

7. Let’s say something really limp and pathetic ( for the Green Party ) about homing all the old retired racehorses now, the whole bloody herd, because every new Kiwibuild home needs a tired old horse in its backyard, and if nothing else our NZ breeders have proved they’re experts at breeding lots and lots of very slow racehorses that need homes for life.

There we go, that’ll take about five years to activate, and a number of legislative changes, and in the meantime the well soaked idiot who orchestrated it will have disappeared over the horizon, we’ll have a new government, and the 94% of NZers who don’t like us now will hate us even more, and we’ll be finished.

So Leo you have a good handle on racing what would you suggest as something needs doing yes some of what he says is old and tired but its a start for discussion. I agree with introducing a tax for all money sent offshore including the millions sent offshore for shuttle stallions this all should be put back into the pot.

I cannot believe the statement attributed to Dr Alan Jackson!! Astounding! He says, “WHILST OUR BOARD IS YET TO CONSIDER THE REPORT IN DETAIL, THE MAJOR RECOMMENDATIONS ARE IN LINE WITH NZTR’s VIEWS, AND IT IS REASSURING TO HAVE THOSE POLICIES VERIFIED BY AN INDEPENDANT AND EXPERT VOICE”. Have I missed something here? He’s saying that Messara’s views are already NZTR Policy! If they are, have those policies ever been aired - prior to the Messara Report? I’ve read many comments put up by Racecafe Members (and myself) that talk about most of the topics in the Messara Report, but I can’t recall “Policies” being aired by Petone.

11 hours ago, poundforpound said:

The more I read this the more I realize Massarra hasn’t an original idea in his head...rather he’s done a lap of the country listening to the fuckwits who’ve already driven the industry into the ground and then amalgamated their useless ideas and produced this pile of shite.

Hard to understand why he’d listen to those who’ve already fucked the industry up, I’d have started with some visionary thinking myself.

you never have before...why start now?

11 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

So Leo you have a good handle on racing what would you suggest as something needs doing yes some of what he says is old and tired but its a start for discussion. I agree with introducing a tax for all money sent offshore including the millions sent offshore for shuttle stallions this all should be put back into the pot.

Another “Tax”? So you now want to kill the breeding industry?

12 hours ago, gubellini said:

Closing Avondale is utter madness. It provides great footing consistently all year round.

You cant be serious,   facilities are a tip  it would need tens of millions poured in to bring it out of the 1970's.  At best it is a trials and training track which is crazy when you look at its value and terrible traffic problems.

11 hours ago, gubellini said:

Pity John Messara didn’t think outside the square and propose new revenue streams to boost stakes such as a levy on exported horses and a levy on stallion fees. Elite breeders/ sellers would be aghast but these measures have reaped millions in England and Europe.

Ha ha ha ,  so your not happy with the racing industry going down the tubes,  now you want to destroy the breeding industry.  Jacinda would be proud of your tax and spend ideas.

I have skimmed over the Messara report.

Mr, Messara suggests selling Avondale which he estimates would release maybe $200m to the industry.

I was told some years ago by Ron Murphy that the clever Dallies had changed the constitution of the club to ensure that if the club closed the proceeds of a sale would go to West Auckland sports clubs.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

35 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

I'm still unsure of exactly what if anything the Breeding industry contributes to the Racing industry. Would welcome some enlightenment on this. And as for ideas, what about implementing a rule where horses BRED in New Zealand have to RACE in New Zealand a certain number of times before they can be sold overseas? 

27 minutes ago, Trump said:

No it won't affect people here. The studs like Coolmore have pulled millions out of the country, it should be taxed and some remain here.Why should the breeders get a free ride and not contribute???

4 minutes ago, Trump said:

2 minutes ago, Gofta said:

You cant be serious,   facilities are a tip  it would need tens of millions poured in to bring it out of the 1970's.  At best it is a trials and training track which is crazy when you look at its value and terrible traffic problems.

I will try and make it Brief...IMHO only.

I voted Winny for the main reason, he would try to clean up Racing industry ...I,m near breathless and he,s come up with this.

Trump... breeding is the only side of things, along with the free drink brigade that enjoy the spoils of the game anymore.

Well done to the boys get paid approach of getting a hundred owners into a horse @ $5 a week...

(Its the only way forward to attract new participants on-course and experience the old thrill as it once was.)

As for getting rid of the old once / twice a year tracks that are the annual get together of the old firm and mates (I Dont agree)

A lick of paint aint going to change the state of 95% of the tracks in NZ and none should have to fight for their survival.

They would attract more on-course than your average day at Ellerslie or Te Rapa (or where the $$$$ improvements are earmarked for...

Sure...Do the Track upgrades and bring Dining up to Aussie standards (but not at the expense of the rest of the grassroots clubs)

Start from the bottom up ...(the punter on the grass with the chilly bin , looking to get into a horse) and make stakes such,

so as it is affordable to pay the trainer to lease and train your horse to race. 

1 minute ago, Phantom said:

I'm still unsure of exactly what if anything the Breeding industry contributes to the Racing industry. Would welcome some enlightenment on this. And as for ideas, what about implementing a rule where horses BRED in New Zealand have to RACE in New Zealand a certain number of times before they can be sold overseas? 

Selling them is fine but at least tax it...put that back into the industry.

How does the European Breeders Fund work,most  maidens up there EBF . My understanding is its a levy paid by stallion owners to make the progeny eligible to run in EBF races. Similar to Breeders Cup model.Iam guessing also  like VOBIS  in Victoria .  Is it done here ? If not why not ? If it's works for Coolmore , Darley Europe etc and they pay up  , why not studs here.

If the horse numbers drop away the people who race to sell abroad will struggle to find fields to race against to showcase the talents of aforementioned horse .If the races here turn into   poor affairs the form will be looked upon less highly so again export value decreases.So in fact in helps the rich to help the poor in this instance so export levy might in the long run sustain the export product.

6 minutes ago, Phantom said:

they are only the biggest group of owners and sponsors in the country......

In case any of you haven't read the report in full, here it is.

https://www.dia.govt.nz/vwluResources/Racing-Report-August-2018/$file/Review-of-the-NZ-Racing-Industry-Report.pdf

Needs digesting before commenting further as there are a number of "Fark me" moments..

The reduction of tracks has so many hooks in it from an ownership/ governance perspective.

The subtle dig regarding appropriate qualifications for Board members is not missed. Will affect new appointments.

5 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

In case any of you haven't read the report in full, here it is.

https://www.dia.govt.nz/vwluResources/Racing-Report-August-2018/$file/Review-of-the-NZ-Racing-Industry-Report.pdf

Needs digesting before commenting further as there are a number of "Fark me" moments..

The reduction of tracks has so many hooks in it from an ownership/ governance perspective.

The subtle dig regarding appropriate qualifications for Board members is not missed. Will affect new appointments.

And so it should, cant believe people who have no interest in racing control the running of it..its always been a joke.

I understand It is difficult when you are working in the grassroots of the industry 7 days a week, to come up for air and see the big picture.

In the simplest of terms, the industry needs to engage with the 18 - 40yr olds with money as they are the group that will be racehorse owners in the future.....without owners, the industry is dead. Attracting this group through syndication has been paramount to the vibrant growth in racing Australia.

The industry needs to compete with the multitude of sporting codes and other forms of entertainment/gambling.  To do this racing needs to provide facilities and a package that gets this group to the races rather than the other sporting and entertainment events trying to get their dollar.  

Most of the comments I have heard from the "grassroots" of the industry in this thread seem to think the answer is people bringing a chillybin to their local track twice a year.  I'm afraid these once a year punters are not the answer.  The answer is the 18 - 40 yr olds who expect a great experience at a course with 2018 facilities.  These are the potential racehorse owners we need to attract.

1 minute ago, Gofta said:

I understand It is difficult when you are working in the grassroots of the industry 7 days a week, to come up for air and see the big picture.

In the simplest of terms, the industry needs to engage with the 18 - 40yr olds with money as they are the group that will be racehorse owners in the future.....without owners, the industry is dead. Attracting this group through syndication has been paramount to the vibrant growth in racing Australia.

The industry needs to compete with the multitude of sporting codes and other forms of entertainment/gambling.  To do this racing needs to provide facilities and a package that gets this group to the races rather than the other sporting and entertainment events trying to get their dollar.  

Most of the comments I have heard from the "grassroots" of the industry in this thread seem to think the answer is people bringing a chillybin to their local track twice a year.  I'm afraid these once a year punters are not the answer.  The answer is the 18 - 40 yr olds who expect a great experience at a course with 2018 facilities.  These are the potential racehorse owners we need to attract.

Exactly and that is what BGL has tapped into...going to the races needs to be a modern and fun experience it is totally different to when me and many others went, it was not like today with so many online live feed experiences available that young people enjoy, racing needs to forget about the old days and get into the 21st century, or die...quite simple.

39 minutes ago, Ascot said:

I have skimmed over the Messara report.

Mr, Messara suggests selling Avondale which he estimates would release maybe $200m to the industry.

I was told some years ago by Ron Murphy that the clever Dallies had changed the constitution of the club to ensure that if the club closed the proceeds of a sale would go to West Auckland sports clubs.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

I would not be surprised.    However, what I could not get an answer from Avondale on was if they signed that document a couple of years ago that racing authority put out . It was to basically overrule club constitutions and make clubs agree to hand over any proceeds arising from a windup to them.

Just a question was the land around Riccarton not in a trust that was not meant to be sold, look at it now all under development for housing? Seems to be that if all parties agree there is a way around selling the land.

Gofta thank you for your comments about my post on stallion levies. Since 1983 the European Breeders Fund have allocated over £100,000,000 to horse racing stakes. I suggest you do a bit of research on what actually works overseas and could be duplicated here albeit in a scaled down version. It is churlish of you to suggest that myself and others who want NZ Racing to flourish want to destroy racing and or breeding.