RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mattski

Messara Racing Review Full Report and 17 Key points

Just now, scooby3051 said:

You cant compare NZ to HK they are gambling mad over there and have little option to do so legally.Yes the industry is in a bad way so as you suggest we pull up the oars and sorry mate this ones done or do we try as an industry as hard as some of the decisions WILL be to try to salvage it??? No need to downscale if the hard decisions re made, not saying he is right but at least its a start to go somewhere..is it not???

Yes, sure, it's a start. Forgive my negativity. Everyone here would love to see a return to the halcyon days of NZ racing. Maybe it is possible - I really like gubellini's suggestion of a levy on exported horses. What do the breeders actually contribute to the NZ racing industry? They all seem to be going gangbusters while the industry is on life support. Whatever is done I agree there has to be some "outside the square" thinking not just asking the people who have got us into this mess how they think we can get out of it. If anyone is capable of that it is your contributors. 

49 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Out sourcing the TAB might work , if it's operated from Australia they may do a better job of marketing NZ racing in Australia . 

Maybe they figure it's a way of getting around the Aussie legislation that forbids Aussies betting on the NZ TAB. It might benefit punters if it leads to bigger pool sizes and lower takeout rates. From a selfish point of view though, this might be countered by having 3 synthetic tracks. This would surely make form more difficult to follow and may honestly mean giving up punting altogether, for me. 

6 minutes ago, dock leaf said:

wonder what the wobblers think? oamaru, timaru, gore and winton all dual code venues

I don’t think Trotting Clubs were a part of the review - it will be business as usual for them.

9 minutes ago, puha said:

What I don’t like is this Aussie wants to close down financial country clubs and strip them off their assets to prop up these chosen  clubs .See he wants to give Waipuk 11 meetings over two years as a volunteer club then give them them the middle finger and close them down .

i ask this question is kurow or kumara running at a loss

3 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I haven't read the whole report very carefully yet, but was there any mention in it that the industry has had very poor leadership for many years which has contributed to many of the problems and that a lot of the current leadership should be dumped?

Among the recommendations are for a Performance and Efficiency Audit of the NZRB to be initiated under section 14 of the Racing Act 2003, with particular emphasis on the operating costs of the NZRB, and a special review of the structure and efficiency (what efficiency lol) of the RIU and allied intergrity bodies, to be conducted by an independent qualified person. 

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Fuck.

Mandatory over riding of club’s constitutions !!

Gifting club land to the industry .....!!!!!

Empowering the codes....more power to NZTR.....oh dear, has he not read their history ?

Disbanding the TABs or effectively handing their management to an international entity.....so you potentially lose 500 million t/o and 20 million revenue from pokies ( not a bad thing ).

Opening the door now for all sports ( come in Steve Hansen ) to take all their own proceeds from gambling sales.

Using the RDF in a metropolitan area...illegal....

Be careful what you wish for NZ, I know our industry is largely made up of intellectual lightweights but this document is full of traps that could hurt the industry. I’d be proceeding with considerable caution.

My guess is that Messara has listened to a small group of disenchanted people and cobbled some fairly tired ideas together, and whilst I wouldn’t dismiss it until it’s implemented I’d be really nervous about embracing it in the form described above.

Some good points.....but what is the alternative Leo?

25 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Pity John Messara didn’t think outside the square and propose new revenue streams to boost stakes such as a levy on exported horses and a levy on stallion fees. Elite breeders/ sellers would be aghast but these measures have reaped millions in England and Europe.

Can of worms, but a beauty all the same......imagine, a decent tax on all those horses sent to Asia, that tax then distributed back into the industry coffers.....it would assist those less fortunate who don't ever snag a good one, one good enough to sell for gazillions to Honkers, those that get up at sparrows or earlier to muck out, those that drive a 10yo holden or ford, and that tax then goes toward stake money that encourages those grass roots bugger with the 'average' horse that holds up the domestic race fields and provides the punter with the product to bet on.....you know it makes sense!

53 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Agree - Race fields legislation is a complete myth. Massive fail by Massarra (sorry MESSARA - which is appropriate because his report is a MESS) not understanding that and burying it forever. 

Why is it a myth? 

1 minute ago, La Zip said:

Can of worms, but a beauty all the same......imagine, a decent tax on all those horses sent to Asia, that tax then distributed back into the industry coffers.....it would assist those less fortunate who don't ever snag a good one, one good enough to sell for gazillions to Honkers, those that get up at sparrows or earlier to muck out, those that drive a 10yo holden or ford, and that tax then goes toward stake money that encourages those grass roots bugger with the 'average' horse that holds up the domestic race fields and provides the punter with the product to bet on.....you know it makes sense!

Jacinda would love that idea . You should head the next working committee. No 171

14 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Among the recommendations are for a Performance and Efficiency Audit of the NZRB to be initiated under section 14 of the Racing Act 2003, with particular emphasis on the operating costs of the NZRB, and a special review of the structure and efficiency (what efficiency lol) of the RIU and allied intergrity bodies, to be conducted by an independent qualified person. 

I would hope both Glenda and Bernard are shitting themselves, whilst Bernard at NZTR is relatively safe....for the time being, Glenda should do the right thing and resign, before they do a Malcolm Turnbull.....

1 hour ago, Phantom said:

Overall I'd give him a 5.5 out of 10. Recommended most of the obvious changes but recommendations re the Betting side of things sounds word for word what the TAB want and they have no clue. In this regard he is showing his complete lack of experience in the betting industry, and Peters is an idiot if he follows 7 in particular. Open it up for fuck's sake. It will kick start what is a vibrant industry all over the world apart from NZ where the hapless idiots that are the NZRB are so useless they want to sell their exclusive license. Don't let them! Put 2 or 3 more licenses up for tender and bring the NZ industry into the 21st century. 20 years too late. Let's rock!

"word for word what the TAB want " assuming you mean Tabcorp?

On point 7, you don't think that Sportsbet would blow the shit out of the TAB if they were allowed anywhere near the NZ market?

There is already a load of money heading offshore you only need to see the different screenshots posted on the BGP Facebook to see that. Ladbrokes have BDM's in Auckland already apparently. 

Just now, pakari said:

Why is it a myth? 

Look at the size of the pools on NZ races at the NZ TAB. Kiwis don't bet on New Zealand racing. Look then at the quality of our product? Sub standard tracks, stipes, jockeys and small fields i.e. a horrible look. Racing is struggling globally to remain relevant in the betting industry in comparison to sport, Esports, poker or slots. Why do you think the NZRB are so keen to get into the pokies game? The idea that overseas betting companies will lineup to pay for the right to offer NZ racing doesn't make sense. The product is shit. You can bet NO-ONE overseas is saying oh please offer NZ racing because we want to bet on it. It may generate some revenue from some of the big guns, but nothing like the figures bandied about by John Allen and gormless Glenda. 

3 minutes ago, pakari said:

On point 7, you don't think that Sportsbet would blow the shit out of the TAB if they were allowed anywhere near the NZ market?

There is already a load of money heading offshore you only need to see the different screenshots posted on the BGP Facebook to see that. Ladbrokes have BDM's in Auckland already apparently. 

Thems the kiwis betting on AUS racing Pakari, .....the Hoi poloi here in Oz don't give a tinkers cuss about NZ and yet the dolts in Parnell/Petone think it will raise bazillions......it'll raise a decent laugh that's all.

5 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Look at the size of the pools on NZ races at the NZ TAB. Kiwis don't bet on New Zealand racing. Look then at the quality of our product? Sub standard tracks, stipes, jockeys and small fields i.e. a horrible look. Racing is struggling globally to remain relevant in the betting industry in comparison to sport, Esports, poker or slots. Why do you think the NZRB are so keen to get into the pokies game? The idea that overseas betting companies will lineup to pay for the right to offer NZ racing doesn't make sense. The product is shit. You can bet NO-ONE overseas is saying oh please offer NZ racing because we want to bet on it. It may generate some revenue from some of the big guns, but nothing like the figures bandied about by John Allen and gormless Glenda. 

Geez Phantom, have you planted a listening device in my study.....here in Oz?........good on you, you are on the button......shame can't say the same for the 'let downs' in Petone.....they ruined this industry, along with the trainers association and the horse traders/bloodstock agents........and it's beyond them to fix it.....in all reality we shouldn't let them try....should we?

5 minutes ago, pakari said:

No., The New Zealand TAB. They want to outsource their fixed odds product because they have no idea how to run a sports betting operation which they have proved time and again over the last 20 years. There is SOME money heading offshore definitely, but again you can bet it is nowhere near the figure Allen and Hughes have made up in their campaign to introduce Race Fields Legislation. Sportsbet? Any company surviving in the international market would obviously compete very favourably against the bloated incompetent TAB. But if they TAB don't want  to offer fixed odds betting, they should just give up their license, not be allowed to outsource it to an overseas company. The most sensible solution is to offer licenses up for tender to a select number of operators, The betting industry needs competition, not the transference of the existing monopoly. 

Just now, La Zip said:

Geez Phantom, have you planted a listening device in my study.....here in Oz?........good on you, you are on the button......shame can't say the same for the 'let downs' in Petone.....they ruined this industry, along with the trainers association and the horse traders/bloodstock agents........and it's beyond them to fix it.....in all reality we shouldn't let them try....should we?

Thanks La Zip, but it's not rocket science. Not sure why Messara didn't ask us eh?? And no mate. Petone is the cancer that has all but destroyed the industry, I would actually blow up the building and start from scratch.

10 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Then double the win/place pools to account for fixed odds. I think you're underestimating how many people over here bet on our product.

The TAB are pumping wall to wall racing over here, have a look at the Indian racing sportsbet are sticking up too, no form, no silks shit vision and people still bet on it otherwise they wouldn't offer it.

1 hour ago, puha said:

Agree things need to change.But in his short period here he’s obviously not got the feel of the country. Why on earth would you close Wairoa and race 1 day further up the coast in Gisborne. If a country track is self sufficient and is an asset to the local community why would you close it down ? 

Reading further it’s obvious their fault is they have been successful and wants to strip them of their assets anyway he can.

5 minutes ago, Phantom said:

No., The New Zealand TAB. They want to outsource their fixed odds product because they have no idea how to run a sports betting operation which they have proved time and again over the last 20 years. There is SOME money heading offshore definitely, but again you can bet it is nowhere near the figure Allen and Hughes have made up in their campaign to introduce Race Fields Legislation. Sportsbet? Any company surviving in the international market would obviously compete very favourably against the bloated incompetent TAB. But if they TAB don't want  to offer fixed odds betting, they should just give up their license, not be allowed to outsource it to an overseas company. The most sensible solution is to offer licenses up for tender to a select number of operators, The betting industry needs competition, not the transference of the existing monopoly. 

They aren't outsourcing anything as i understand it. They're buying a platform from an overseas vendor which most do here including sportsbet, and getting the feeds from paddy power so they don't have to create and manage all their markets manually which will have benefit especially for live betting, shit they'd love live betting online here, they've been moaning about if for years.

1 minute ago, pakari said:

Then double the win/place pools to account for fixed odds. I think you're underestimating how many people over here bet on our product.

The TAB are pumping wall to wall racing over here, have a look at the Indian racing sportsbet are sticking up too, no form, no silks shit vision and people still bet on it otherwise they wouldn't offer it.

Racing;'s overall popularity is at an all time low in NZ, it's now down to about 1%. You might be overestimating how much the TAB take on their fixed odds markets. They tend to over-react with any kind of a half decent bet (if they accept it) which doesn't suggest a massive turnover. All the overseas firms will offer NZ racing because it's easy, they just have to load the fields and prices and let their clients bet away. And the % the legislation is asking for is so low they may well be happy to pay it. I'm just saying the figures of $17-20 million which I have heard NZRB employees state as guaranteed returns from the legislation have no basis in fact whatsoever, and the actual return to the industry will be nothing like it. It's a myth, like Typhoon and Triple Trio.

9 minutes ago, pakari said:

They are that desperate for anything, they'll do anything.....