RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mattski

Messara Racing Review Full Report and 17 Key points

You can see quite a few  owner - trainers getting out of the game.  They propose the eventual closure of Te Rapa and Waipa and opening of  the all weather track at Cambridge.  All right for professionals to relocate but if you were an amateur trying to fit training around farming commitments  etc  who could spare the time to go to Cambridge every morning and back .   Shame as a lot of those people like the farming guys with a few horses  have brought the colour  to NZ racing and they really knew their animals.

6 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

You can see quite a few  owner - trainers getting out of the game.  They propose the eventual closure of Te Rapa and Waipa and opening of  the all weather track at Cambridge.  All right for professionals to relocate but if you were an amateur trying to fit training around farming commitments  etc  who could spare the time to go to Cambridge every morning and back .   Shame as a lot of those people like the farming guys with a few horses  have brought the colour  to NZ racing and they really knew their animals.

Agree the soul of the industry will be lost and the money men will take control. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

3 minutes ago, puha said:

Agree the soul of the industry will be lost and the money men will take control. 

But dont you agree something needs to give it seems pretty clear that does it not??? So what suggestions do you have???

34 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I do wonder about this theory that there is so much money to be earned from selling off numerous tracks and using the money elsewhere. Just how much would Kumara, Hokitika, Orari, Waimate, Kurow, Waikouaiti, Omakau, Winton etc be worth? I would hardly think they would generate millions to be poured into Omoto and Wingatui to turn them into the SI equivalent of Happy Valley and Shatin.

Orari is a trust/DOC reserve and can’t be sold likewise Timaru and Waimate -  Kurow won’t be sold either...... it is a part of the local park/rugby grounds..... Winton I think is council owned

I'm fairly sure also that   Avondale  is designated a green belt by the council because of the playing fields in the middle. So how they are going to get the council to rezone that land remains to be seen. 

Out sourcing the TAB might work , if it's operated from Australia they may do a better job of marketing NZ racing in Australia .

Track closures are interesting , 48 down to 28 and the development of those remaining tracks funded by the closed tracks , that will require a strong handed approach if it's going to happen . Do you think they will stop funding STAKES for clubs that don't play ball ?? , it's probably the only threat they have and the number of tracks is a little misleading , NZTR don't fund 48 tracks .

I know a committeeman who told me along time ago that if their track was forced to close they would give it to the local council not the racing industry so that's $3million they won't be getting .

Currently the NZRB is loosing a million a month because Winston stopped race fields legislation from being passed through parliament , NZRB bankrolled the stake increases based on anticipated  race fields legislation profits , is it now possible stakes may return to the $7000 minimum until there is this proposed restructure.

Rec 4 , "Request that a Performance and Efficiency Audit of the NZRB be initiated under section 14 of the Racing Act 2003, with particular emphasis on the operating costs of the NZRB." ,

I thought I heard Winston say there wasn't going to be one , Was that my mistake ??

I guess there is going to be plenty of discussion but the only way this is going to progress is with a very hard line approach by who ever is in control or it's going nowhere . 

They estimate Avondale could be worth $ 200 million if rezoned.  What happens if Ellerslie  has further problems not anticipated ?  Leaves Counties for whole of Auckland  as functioning.  So it's all aboard the Ruakaka express yet again with  associated travel costs ?

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

Recommendations

1. Change the governance structure, so the NZRB becomes Wagering NZ with racing responsibilities devolving to the individual Codes. This will sharpen the commercial focus of TAB operations and improve the decision-making and accountability of the CodesObviously needed 

2. Establish Racing NZ as a consultative forum for the three Codes to agree on issues such as entering into commercial agreements with Wagering NZ, approving betting rules and budgets for the integrity bodies, equine health & research, etc.Ditto

3. Change the composition and qualifications for directors of regulatory bodies.

4. Request that a Performance and Efficiency Audit of the NZRB be initiated under section 14 of the Racing Act 2003, with particular emphasis on the operating costs of the NZRB. Desperately needed before the parasitic vultures pick all the meat off the bones

5. Amend the Section 16 distribution formula of the Racing Act 2003 to a more equitable basis for fixed 10-year terms.

6. Initiate a special review of the structure and efficacy of the RIU and allied integrity bodies, to be conducted by an independent qualified person. Also desperately needed. This bloated body is a blight on the industry. NZ stipes are a disgrace and some of the top people in the RIU were horrible dishonest stipes. 

7. Begin negotiations for the outsourcing of the TAB’s commercial activities to an international wagering operator, to gain the significant advantages of scale. This is ridiculous and makes no sense at all. The TAB has a monopoly in NZ and shouldn't be allowed to sell their golden ticket. What the industry needs is COMPETITION, obviously, not a continued monopoly.

8. Seek approval for a suite of new wagering products to increase funding for the industry. No brainer

9. Confirm the assignment of Intellectual Property (IP) by the Clubs to the Codes.

10. Introduce Race Field and Point Of Consumption Tax legislation expeditiously. These two measures will bring New Zealand’s racing industry into line with its Australian counterparts and provide much needed additional revenue. OMG. Enough already. Leave everything open or else NZ will have to pay for the right to bet on overseas racing, and we all know NZ racing at the moment is a sad joke, 

11. Repeal the existing betting levy of approximately $13 million per annum paid by the NZRB, given that the thoroughbred Code is a loss maker overall, with the net owners’ losses outweighing the NZRB’s net profit. No brainer

12. Clarify legislation to vest Race Club property and assets to the Code regulatory bodies for the benefit of the industry as a whole.

13. Reduce the number of thoroughbred race tracks from 48 to 28 tracks under a scheduled program. This does not require the closure of any Club. Too little too late but may as well start now

1. Upgrade the facilities and tracks of the remaining racecourses with funds generated from the sale of surplus property resulting from track closures to provide a streamlined, modern and competitive thoroughbred racing sector capable of marketing itself globally.

2. Construct three synthetic all-weather tracks at Cambridge, Awapuni & Riccarton with assistance from the New Zealand Government’s Provincial Growth Fund. Support the development of the Waikato Greenfields Project. What's the point? Where are the horses going to come from?

3. Introduce robust processes to establish traceability from birth and the re-homing of the entire thoroughbred herd, as the foundation stone of the industry’s ongoing animal welfare program.

4. Increase thoroughbred prizemoney gradually to over $100 million per annum through a simplified three-tier racing model, with payments extended to tenth place in all races.

Overall I'd give him a 5.5 out of 10. Recommended most of the obvious changes but recommendations re the Betting side of things sounds word for word what the TAB want and they have no clue. In this regard he is showing his complete lack of experience in the betting industry, and Peters is an idiot if he follows 7 in particular. Open it up for fuck's sake. It will kick start what is a vibrant industry all over the world apart from NZ where the hapless idiots that are the NZRB are so useless they want to sell their exclusive license. Don't let them! Put 2 or 3 more licenses up for tender and bring the NZ industry into the 21st century. 20 years too late. Let's rock!

7 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

The more I read this the more I realize Massarra hasn’t an original idea in his head...rather he’s done a lap of the country listening to the fuckwits who’ve already driven the industry into the ground and then amalgamated their useless ideas and produced this pile of shite.

Hard to understand why he’d listen to those who’ve already fucked the industry up, I’d have started with some visionary thinking myself.

NAILED IT!

38 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

But dont you agree something needs to give it seems pretty clear that does it not??? So what suggestions do you have???

Agree things need to change.But in his short period here he’s obviously not got the feel of the country. Why on earth would you close Wairoa and race 1 day further up the coast in Gisborne. If a country track is self sufficient and is an asset to the local community why would you close it down ? 

2 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

The more I read this the more I realize Massarra hasn’t an original idea in his head...rather he’s done a lap of the country listening to the fuckwits who’ve already driven the industry into the ground and then amalgamated their useless ideas and produced this pile of shite.

Hard to understand why he’d listen to those who’ve already fucked the industry up, I’d have started with some visionary thinking myself.

That might be why you didn't see Ellis, or Vella or Mr and Mrs Lindsay  standing up and throwing questions from the floor, poor Mr Rogerson did though, he seems deluded, he thinks mucho moula will be generated by the race fields legislation, shame, a man and his dog give a damn over here in Oz about racing there, and only the man has a wallet, so precious little will hit the coffers from this neck of the woods.....someone tell Rogie,,,,,,quick smart.

7 minutes ago, La Zip said:

That might be why you didn't see Ellis, or Vella or Mr and Mrs Lindsay  standing up and throwing questions from the floor, poor Mr Rogerson did though, he seems deluded, he thinks mucho moula will be generated by the race fields legislation, shame, a man and his dog give a damn over here in Oz about racing there, and only the man has a wallet, so precious little will hit the coffers from this neck of the woods.....someone tell Rogie,,,,,,quick smart.

Agree - Race fields legislation is a complete myth. Massive fail by Massarra (sorry MESSARA - which is appropriate because his report is a MESS) not understanding that and burying it forever. 

25 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Ok Leo you have some good points of view so give some suggestions of what you think can help...as Winston said there will need to be a lot of discussion, I also agree somewhat with a few ideas hereto many tracks for a start but unless everyone who can has a voice the industry will die, and nobody on any side of this wants that to happen.

And Timaru to hold all of its jumps races at Riccarton. This is at a track that currently only holds the Grand National meeting and not a single other jumps race all year. A track that is a bog for half the year. Will they be jumping on the all-weather? And Oamaru to hold its jumps races at Wingatui, or Waikouaiti!! How long since anyone has been brave enough to race at Wingatui in July.  And Waikouaiti will need a bit of work to hold steeples.  There is a reason that so much SI winter racing is held at Oamaru, Timaru and Waimate. I did smile at Omakau being dumped because of its poor location. They seem to attract fair crowds despite that.

4 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Ok Leo you have some good points of view so give some suggestions of what you think can help...as Winston said there will need to be a lot of discussion, I also agree somewhat with a few ideas hereto many tracks for a start but unless everyone who can has a voice the industry will die, and nobody on any side of this wants that to happen.

Forgive the pun, Mr Scooby, but hasn't the horse already bolted? Look at the tracks, the poor quality and small size of the fields. How can you possibly save the industry after they have basically destroyed it over the last 20 years. Isn't the best you can hope for a massive downscale, certainly a lot fewer than 20 tracks. How many does Hong Kong have? Two? And their industry is what 100x more vibrant than the NZ one? 

Pity John Messara didn’t think outside the square and propose new revenue streams to boost stakes such as a levy on exported horses and a levy on stallion fees. Elite breeders/ sellers would be aghast but these measures have reaped millions in England and Europe.

7 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Everyone agrees that something needs to be done, and I admire Winston for making an effort. It is a pretty thankless task. There is some merit in having a total outsider looking at the NZ industry, and some of the suggestions may have merit, but so many of the recommendations are so off beam that they colour the whole report and show a lack of in-depth research and understanding.

1 minute ago, Phantom said:

Forgive the pun, Mr Scooby, but hasn't the horse already bolted? Look at the tracks, the poor quality and small size of the fields. How can you possibly save the industry after they have basically destroyed it over the last 20 years. Isn't the best you can hope for a massive downscale, certainly a lot fewer than 20 tracks. How many does Hong Kong have? Two? And their industry is what 100x more vibrant than the NZ one? 

You cant compare NZ to HK they are gambling mad over there and have little option to do so legally.Yes the industry is in a bad way so as you suggest we pull up the oars and sorry mate this ones done or do we try as an industry as hard as some of the decisions WILL be to try to salvage it??? No need to downscale if the hard decisions re made, not saying he is right but at least its a start to go somewhere..is it not???

Just now, We're Doomed said:

Everyone agrees that something needs to be done, and I admire Winston for making an effort. It is a pretty thankless task. There is some merit in having a total outsider looking at the NZ industry, and some of the suggestions may have merit, but so many of the recommendations are so off beam that they colour the whole report and show a lack of in-depth research and understanding.

So come up with better ideas that can work and lets all work together to get them to the RIGHT people to look at..

4 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

And Timaru to hold all of its jumps races at Riccarton. This is at a track that currently only holds the Grand National meeting and not a single other jumps race all year. A track that is a bog for half the year. Will they be jumping on the all-weather? And Oamaru to hold its jumps races at Wingatui, or Waikouaiti!! How long since anyone has been brave enough to race at Wingatui in July.  And Waikouaiti will need a bit of work to hold steeples.  There is a reason that so much SI winter racing is held at Oamaru, Timaru and Waimate. I did smile at Omakau being dumped because of its poor location. They seem to attract fair crowds despite that.

wonder what the wobblers think? oamaru, timaru, gore and winton all dual code venues

What I don’t like is this Aussie wants to close down financial country clubs and strip them off their assets to prop up these chosen  clubs .See he wants to give Waipuk 11 meetings over two years as a volunteer club then give them them the middle finger and close them down .