RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ridiculous

Messara report

Recommendations

1. Change the governance structure, so the NZRB becomes Wagering NZ with racing responsibilities devolving to the individual Codes. This will sharpen the commercial focus of TAB operations and improve the decision-making and accountability of the Codes.

2. Establish Racing NZ as a consultative forum for the three Codes to agree on issues such as entering into commercial agreements with Wagering NZ, approving betting rules and budgets for the integrity bodies, equine health & research, etc.

3. Change the composition and qualifications for directors of regulatory bodies.

4. Request that a Performance and Efficiency Audit of the NZRB be initiated under section 14 of the Racing Act 2003, with particular emphasis on the operating costs of the NZRB.

5. Amend the Section 16 distribution formula of the Racing Act 2003 to a more equitable basis for fixed 10-year terms.

6. Initiate a special review of the structure and efficacy of the RIU and allied integrity bodies, to be conducted by an independent qualified person.

7. Begin negotiations for the outsourcing of the TAB’s commercial activities to an international wagering operator, to gain the significant advantages of scale.

8. Seek approval for a suite of new wagering products to increase funding for the industry.

9. Confirm the assignment of Intellectual Property (IP) by the Clubs to the Codes.

10. Introduce Race Field and Point Of Consumption Tax legislation expeditiously. These two measures will bring New Zealand’s racing industry into line with its Australian counterparts and provide much needed additional revenue.

11. Repeal the existing betting levy of approximately $13 million per annum paid by the NZRB, given that the thoroughbred Code is a loss maker overall, with the net owners’ losses outweighing the NZRB’s net profit.

12. Clarify legislation to vest Race Club property and assets to the Code regulatory bodies for the benefit of the industry as a whole.

13. Reduce the number of thoroughbred race tracks from 48 to 28 tracks under a scheduled program. This does not require the closure of any Club

1. Upgrade the facilities and tracks of the remaining racecourses with funds generated from the sale of surplus property resulting from track closures to provide a streamlined, modern and competitive thoroughbred racing sector capable of marketing itself globally.

2. Construct three synthetic all-weather tracks at Cambridge, Awapuni & Riccarton with assistance from the New Zealand Government’s Provincial Growth Fund. Support the development of the Waikato Greenfields Project.

3. Introduce robust processes to establish traceability from birth and the re-homing of the entire thoroughbred herd, as the foundation stone of the industry’s ongoing animal welfare program.

4. Increase thoroughbred prizemoney gradually to over $100 million per annum through a simplified three-tier racing model, with payments extended to tenth place in all races.

12 hours ago, Flabbergasted said:

Pleasntly surprised and finding it hard to argue with any of the recommendations.

Point 5 will be very interesting to see how they amend Section 16 and it will no doubt prove the major cause of angst amongst the codes

Still after reading it I fail to see were greyhounds or trotting are going to improve....this report is all about gallops.....only part is this tab out sourcing....but surely if winston wanted to do something he should revamp our tab....I dont know about anyone else but in my area we have had 3 pod machines taken out of 3 local hotels in the last 12mnths....in my opinion it's like poker machines there should be more pods around to increase turnover....every club and hotel in nz should have one....put them in shopping malls as well......not all people want a tab account and want to bet on phones......in my local the pod used to be a focal point for farmers and people to get together.....to the degree they used to organize trips to the races and want to buy shares in horses and dogs.....now the punters club is dead and no one watches or talks racing......get the basics right first as without grassroot people in racing no matter what you do it wont change things.....this report is exactly winston as was the last time he had control.....a quick fix and then we are in the s...t  again....we need to rebuild the interest in racing.....taking pods away...stopping families going into the centre on new years day at ellerslie watching the auckland cup...they have turned a generation away all for the corporates ..now they are looking at stealing club land to make the rich richer.

Unfortunately I'd say a easy 2-3 generations of punters have been lost and I put that solely on the N.Z.R.B., they have really only woken up when their base punters started punting in ozz as sick of the shambles of punting over here.

The uni student that has done his four years with us part time sometimes punts on sports but that was it, I was talking Braille if talking, fixed bets, trifecta's and anything else.

As one who has an interest in all three codes I find the report very disappointing. 

How can you report on Racing NZ without taking into account the 30-35% that Harness and Greyhounds provide?

310 seems to be the magic number of gallops meetings and 48 racecourses the answer to gallops' problems.

How can you suggest that any racecourse with very limited gallops' meetings can  be sold to inject more money into racing when the racecourse concerned has a number of harness meetings?

And so on   ...

14 minutes ago, lad27 said:

Unfortunately I'd say a easy 2-3 generations of punters have been lost and I put that solely on the N.Z.R.B., they have really only woken up when their base punters started punting in ozz as sick of the shambles of punting over here.

The uni student that has done his four years with us part time sometimes punts on sports but that was it, I was talking Braille if talking, fixed bets, trifecta's and anything else.

Hello lad27.

I am sure many of us could duplicate your experience. In my own case, I well remember watching a very well-known bowler sending down another bowl with a Best Bets hanging out of his back pocket.

I used to be able to discuss racing with a number of people at bowls - and elsewhere - but not now. 

When I was on the TAB Board, the continuation of free-to-air Trackside came up for discussion annually. And each year the Board unanimously voted to retain it.

The decision to do away with that free-to-air provision meant the loss of a lot of people having an interest in racing.

For what gain?

Yep, the courses that hold mixed code meetings is the one that also has me scratching my head...  does state this in the report about this, so need to see the outcome from the July meetings.:

We understand that this plan for venue closures of thoroughbred racecourses will cause no conflicts or other issues for the harness or greyhound racing codes that cannot reasonably be resolved. There are 9 thoroughbred racecourses that we are recommending for closure that we believe the Harness Code might wish to retain. Of these, 1 is owned freehold by a thoroughbred Race Club, 4 are jointly owned, 3 are Racecourse Reserves and 1 is a lease. We understand that both Codes have met during July to discuss this matter and that positive discussions were held.

The report was always going to be about TB, that was the brief. Of the 3 codes, they are in dire straits. They have been poorly managed for years, with no long-term plan to future-proof. All within that arm of the industry are to blame as are the TAB. In recent years we have lost "free to air trackside", that went down like a ton of bricks. We were supposed to get one dedicated NZ racing channel, never happened, instead both channels are flooded with worldwide product. Your typical Kiwi punter does not give a monkeys about racing from America or anywhere other than NZ or Au. Your typical Kiwi punter wants to see the race lead-ups and the post-race replays on their own TV when the races are run. We have lost local TAB's, pub agencies, and now in some areas pods as well. Finding an outlet to withdraw from your TAB account is a nightmare. Whatever happened to the philosophy, the customer comes first? We have all been treated badly by the TAB.

The bottom line is all three codes need each other, Greyhound and Harness wouldn't last 5 minutes without TB. We haven't lost anything, possibly we will benefit from the recommendations made. Let's hope our governing body is up to the task ahead. We also need to pull our heads out of the sand.

2 hours ago, Jape said:

I have found two paragraphs dealing with "Other Codes on page 73.

Apparently the greyhounds are talking about reducing the 7 tracks to 3 over a period of 10 years.

They are what!!!????

Can't be good for Forbury and Invercargill.

What is your rough guess for percentage of dogs trained in Canterbury, Otago and Southland Jape

"Greyhound racing is proposing to reduce their number of venues from 7 to 3 after 10 years. We have not undertaken detailed work on the harness or greyhound codes, so are not in a position to comment about their preliminary venue plans. The information provided by the harness and greyhound codes to the Future Venue Plan Joint Working Group meetings on 6 June and 6 July." 

Also Greenfields Project. The Greenfields site could also possibly include provision for harness and greyhound racing, and all activities currently held at the Cambridge Raceway.

Who was the Greyhound rep at these Future Venue Plan meetings. Who intends to close down our sport and just have 3 professional venues with say 1 or 2 contracted trainers to each venue. Goodbye to all grassroots owner/trainers.  

3 minutes ago, JETSUN said:

"Greyhound racing is proposing to reduce their number of venues from 7 to 3 after 10 years. We have not undertaken detailed work on the harness or greyhound codes, so are not in a position to comment about their preliminary venue plans. The information provided by the harness and greyhound codes to the Future Venue Plan Joint Working Group meetings on 6 June and 6 July." 

Also Greenfields Project. The Greenfields site could also possibly include provision for harness and greyhound racing, and all activities currently held at the Cambridge Raceway.

Who was the Greyhound rep at these Future Venue Plan meetings. Who intends to close down our sport and just have 3 professional venues with say 1 or 2 contracted trainers to each venue. Goodbye to all grassroots owner/trainers.  

I believe it was Mario ba sari....couldn't inform us Gordon because it would be a  conflict of interest being CEO as well as part of this futures board......so why was he there and why hasn't this been discussed with the grassroots......time for him to look at himself.....we dont need another secretive leader that has there own agenda..

That is somewhat disappointing and I really can't understand the logic in aiming for just three tracks. Rationalisation of the greyhound code has already taken place, many years ago, so why does it need even more. The distance that many trainers are required to travel now is daunting enough. Do they think that when they close a venue that the participants will relocate to be nearby a remaining venue. Some probably will but as Jetsun rightly pointed out many grassroots participants will just be lost to the sport. 

One can only guess but in all likelihood the three track scenario would be Christchurch, Wanganui and Cambridge. 

The 20 COURSES recommended for closure in the Messara Report are Dargaville, Avondale, Thames, Rotorua, Wairoa, Stratford, Hawera, Waipukurau, Woodville, Reefton, Greymouth, Hokitika, Motukarara, Timaru, Kurow, Oamaru, Waimate, Omakau, Winton, and Gore.

8 hours ago, Jape said:

As one who has an interest in all three codes I find the report very disappointing. 

How can you report on Racing NZ without taking into account the 30-35% that Harness and Greyhounds provide?

310 seems to be the magic number of gallops meetings and 48 racecourses the answer to gallops' problems.

How can you suggest that any racecourse with very limited gallops' meetings can  be sold to inject more money into racing when the racecourse concerned has a number of harness meetings?

And so on   ...

Best way for Greyhounds and Harness to get  noticed is all trainers and owners go on strike, no racing means no turnover and hand out to the Thoroughbred industry

On 8/30/2018 at 6:56 PM, ridiculous said:

Had to laugh, "Are greyhounds pet dogs or working dogs"
Seriously, is that the best question we've got??

Have to ask...you might of thought it was ridiculous....but you were there ..so what did you ask?

4 hours ago, Hound Fan said:

I believe it was Mario ba sari....couldn't inform us Gordon because it would be a  conflict of interest being CEO as well as part of this futures board......so why was he there and why hasn't this been discussed with the grassroots......time for him to look at himself.....we dont need another secretive leader that has there own agenda..

phew, we don't need to worry Hound Fan. advisory posted late today on the NZGRA website, unsigned under the heading "NZGRA welcomes Messara report, "We would like to address one piece of information that appears on pg.73 of the report, that “Greyhound racing is proposing to reduce their number of venues from 7 to 3 after 10 years.”   We believe that Mr Messara may have been referencing discussions and industry submissions that took place as part of the Future Venue Plan process that looked at a variety of possible futures.  We can however clarify that GRNZ does not have a plan to reduce the number of greyhound venues from 7 to 3".

Obviously Messara was wrong or misinformed.

12 minutes ago, JETSUN said:

phew, we don't need to worry Hound Fan. advisory posted late today on the NZGRA website, unsigned under the heading "NZGRA welcomes Messara report, "We would like to address one piece of information that appears on pg.73 of the report, that “Greyhound racing is proposing to reduce their number of venues from 7 to 3 after 10 years.”   We believe that Mr Messara may have been referencing discussions and industry submissions that took place as part of the Future Venue Plan process that looked at a variety of possible futures.  We can however clarify that GRNZ does not have a plan to reduce the number of greyhound venues from 7 to 3".

Obviously Messara was wrong or misinformed.

Guess it came out of nowhere

6 hours ago, Rules For Some said:

Its no secret however some tracks may be coming to an end. Auckland for example is already designated as future residential zoning.

Were did you hear that....the club still has years left on there lease and it is zoned recreational..so will never be housing..

4 hours ago, Hound Fan said:

Were did you hear that....the club still has years left on there lease and it is zoned recreational..so will never be housing..

Ill have to check my facts and get back to you on this one, but I am under the impression that the land has been identified as future residential or something along those lines.