RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Taku Umanga

Monte Trot

Programmed for October 26 at Auckland

4  -  UP TO & INCLUDING R65 MOBILE TROT   2200m  (Tentative)  
MONTE TROT   Of $6000.
For up to & including R65 MONTE QUALIFIED trotters. PLEASE NOTE: This field is limited to 8 starters. 

I warned this might happen. stupidity reigns. must be a case of the inmates running the asylym .I wasassured these ridiculous events would stay as a novelty and not be part of an actual programe. Drivers and trainers need every opportunity to make money for owners without the side shows. hope serious drivers and trainers do not support them $6000 thrown away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, john legend said:

I warned this might happen. stupidity reigns. must be a case of the inmates running the asylym .I wasassured these ridiculous events would stay as a novelty and not be part of an actual programe. Drivers and trainers need every opportunity to make money for owners without the side shows. hope serious drivers and trainers do not support them $6000 thrown away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree strongly that these events are a novelty. They may be new to NZ but not the rest of the world where straight out trotting reigns supreme. If you watch races from  Scandinavia and especially France you will see many monte races on a programme racing for equal or better prize money.  Horses were not born with carts on them and  trotted freely before restraints with harness were placed on them. The great trotter Greyhound  voted trotter of the century raced ocassionally in monte races so it has a long history. 

NZ is only getting up to play with the world and I hope they continue to promote them and trainers support them.

Have seen several live in Aus and they are a great spectacles and the same as any betting medium when you follow them and who are the better riders. My advice back any with a female rider with a Scandinavian sounding name as they have done it before many times. 

you fine gentlemen ,who i respect, miss my main gripe. With the inclusion amateur races into programs now montes the regular  opportunities will ultimately be lost for owners/trainers and most importantly senior drivers (some of which are not happy but prefer to not rock the boat....) Lets say for instance in the winter AK   .. 2 maiden races 16 noms, the racing sec. decides 1 race will do and we can have an amateur race and say 2 montes. less money for owners and less opportunities for senior drivers.   it makes a mockery of the professional standards we are all wanting. I do not care what happens in Europe with their hatred of the pacer. I care about woolly decisions made in nz...!!!!!!!1

Firstly you don't have to bet on every race. Secondly, this is a serious form of racing everywhere else in the world that they have trotting, although by the sounds of it, you rarely get out. I have actually been to Paris and witnessed the wonderful Prix du Cornulier, a 700,000 euro race featuring some of the best trotters in the world. I have also been to Solvalla and seen the Monte run there on Elitloppet day, a popular and prestigious lead up race. And I was in Australia, only last month, and witnessed a very competitive monte race on Redwood Classic Day,  Montes are very popular with the female trainers and grooms, all over the world, and in a declining industry, a new way to get more prople involved - as are amateur driving races. So for those who don't like to bet on these events, don't. For those who like to PARTICIPATE in these events, and get off their arses and support the harness industry by doing so, all power to you.

That wont happen John.    Its like saying 15 maiden trotters nominated, so run 1 race of 13 and the other two go into a maiden pace (and have to pace too).     Sounds silly, and it is.     And remember John, every horse in a Monte has an owner and trainer, and if they don't like being in a Monte then surely they will not nominate!     You will find these Montes (if they get off the ground) will comprise of trotters mainly in the upper age bracket and also finding it difficult to be competitive - it's just another way of keeping the animals racing against a one way float trip to the knackers and giving the owners a chance of a small cheque.   They are all squaregaiters too.     And to be realistic a Monte race I am sure will never be carded where a field of pacers or trotters could be fielded instead.       

eljay the point I was making there could be times where the club could have a very full field instead of say 2 x 8horse fields where drivers and owners get a greater opportunity if there is atemptation to squeeze in anovelty race at less stakes. bad for incomes all round. wellington trotting club programmed 7 races in their summer programme at miramar park kilbirnie with 3 trots (harness) 3 trots (saddle) and 1 (saddle or harness) so as others stated this used to be a big deal as are the reasons why it did not continue.   This programme was held 23.jan.1895. 

You can sleep easy, John.    I know Auckland will not compromise their commitment to racing pacers & trotters and if for that particular night they can field full or near full fields without reverting to the Monte race they will.     But (as has happened this year on more than one occasion) they can only card fields of 5 or 6 then what's the problem of a Monte race?

as the experts stated montes will only be non tote and if if if shortage of real harness racers would there be a tote monte. lets hope ,with all difficulties in harness racing at present eg opportunities for junior drivers the monte racing idea dies for want of a seconder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!