RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Emotive

Messara Report, anyone going?

20 August 2018

Invitation to the Release of John Messara’s Report on the New Zealand Racing Industry
Minister of Racing, Rt Hon Winston Peters, invites all interested members of the New Zealand racing industry to a public meeting at 6pm on Thursday 30 August at Claudelands Conference Centre in Hamilton, where John Messara’s report on the New Zealand racing industry will be publically released.

Mr Peters will deliver a speech followed by a question and answer session from the floor.

Please rsvp to rsvp@dia.govt.nz by 5pm Tuesday 28th August 2018.

3 hours ago, ridiculous said:

After the way our sport has been run the last few years I feel this might be like attending a funeral.

Well, one thing in our favour is we aren't waiting in the bankruptcy queue.

Em, the lack of interest is indicative of the mindset in the industry. It is far easier to sit back and complain about what we see as negative changes without bothering to try and be part of the change. I think the term that comes to mind is acquiesce.

1 hour ago, GOM said:

Em, the lack of interest is indicative of the mindset in the industry. It is far easier to sit back and complain about what we see as negative changes without bothering to try and be part of the change. I think the term that comes to mind is acquiesce.

That is indeed a shame. I would like to go, listen, and ask questions, unfortunately, the cost is prohibitive and would include hiring a dog sitter for two days. If I lived in the area I would definitely be there.

Mike....1...to be honest to the average greyhound person the timing is wrong...to get there after racing on Thursday is impossible for most....2..if we turn up and listen ..what questions will winston answer...when he was racing minister in his last life at a luncheon at the northshore rugby club I asked him why he blew all the government money givin to the racing industry on 3 races......I got cut off and was told to sit down.....no different this time..he is the most failed politician in my lifetime...only he thinks he's good...if he can get something free out of it he will....its not going to benefit greyhounds full stop...winston will get a couple of free horses and the wealthy trainers and owners will get richer.....and ge eill end up with free lunches and whiskey.....so no sadly I carnt make it .

On 8/22/2018 at 6:27 PM, Hound Fan said:

Mike....1...to be honest to the average greyhound person the timing is wrong...to get there after racing on Thursday is impossible for most....2..if we turn up and listen ..what questions will winston answer...when he was racing minister in his last life at a luncheon at the northshore rugby club I asked him why he blew all the government money givin to the racing industry on 3 races......I got cut off and was told to sit down.....no different this time..he is the most failed politician in my lifetime...only he thinks he's good...if he can get something free out of it he will....its not going to benefit greyhounds full stop...winston will get a couple of free horses and the wealthy trainers and owners will get richer.....and ge eill end up with free lunches and whiskey.....so no sadly I carnt make it .

Listened to the harness rep on Wednesday. They like us were worried about this being a slash and burn exercise initially. But, after talking with Messara they were assured that the examination was about improving what we all already have. He seemed remarkably upbeat, which given all the banter around this report was quite surprising. Whatever happens, depends on the brief, and that may be different to the Aussie situation. I don't believe our two codes will lose anything. We are in a very healthy position and will still play a vital role in keeping the industry going while TB get sorted. Listening to TB people, some are under no illusion about why they have failed to live up to expectations. Personally, I believe the report will be scathing of governance on all levels of the TB code.

Points taken Steve and Em. Often  when people have made worthwhile changes the situation looked bleak when they began . What did chairman  Mao say,  'the longest journey starts with the smallest step".

I am at the stage where I have little to win or lose whatever happens but I do know that doing nothing will result in nothing changing so I will consider it as  taking the smallest step. Trouble is, with my record at meetings, Winnie will probably have me expelled

1 hour ago, GOM said:

Points taken Steve and Em. Often  when people have made worthwhile changes the situation looked bleak when they began . What did chairman  Mao say,  'the longest journey starts with the smallest step".

I am at the stage where I have little to win or lose whatever happens but I do know that doing nothing will result in nothing changing so I will consider it as  taking the smallest step. Trouble is, with my record at meetings, Winnie will probably have me expelled

You made me smile GOM, thank you.