RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Date For The Messara Report Release

Messara Report to be released

Australian racing expert John Messara’s report reviewing the New Zealand racing industry will be released at a public meeting next week.

The Arrowfield Stud chairman and former Racing Australia and Racing New South Wales chairman was given the task of reviewing the industry by New Zealand Racing Minister Winston Peters earlier this year.

Peters has invited all interested members of the New Zealand racing industry to the public meeting, at 6pm on Thursday August 30 at Claudelands Conference Centre in Hamilton, to hear Messara’s findings.

Peters will deliver a speech followed by a question and answer session from the floor.

Please RSVP to rsvp@dia.govt.nz by 5pm Tuesday August 28, 2018.

11 hours ago, gubellini said:

There is a Harness Meeting at nearby Cambridge that night. Perhaps Winston should have checked the dates!

And the man charged with making recommendations which could be crucial to the future of the racing industry says he has concentrated mainly on the thoroughbred industry.

If there is to be change it will be dramatic and effect many . Messara has a difficult task given the limited external income streams NZ racing has , to anyone trying to compare Australia with NZ here's an example of what keeps Australian racing performing , this is OLD  NEWS  2013/14 ?  but still a guide where the money comes from , we in NZ have very little that generates massive amounts of money to prop up racing .

Quote .

'AUSTRALIA'S wealthiest race club will report a record profit at the end of the financial year - but a massive loss for its racing activities.

Melbourne Racing Club, which runs Caulfield, owns Sandown and is in partnership with Victoria's biggest country club, Mornington, lost $5 million last year

and is heading towards a $6 million loss this year from racing. 

The purchase of eight profitable hotels with gaming facilities, on top of its two massive enterprises at Caulfield and Sandown, will provide the record profit.

The investment in gaming and other activities is highly profitable, and we have received money from our investment in the Caulfield Village,"

It's not only racing in Australia that gets big money from gaming , the Australian Labor party received around $50 million from gaming last year .

3 hours ago, eastern whipbird said:

When will the report be available for the peasants to read?

I can see no point in having a meeting to discuss the report and ask questions if report is not released beforehand. I will not be attending unless I can get access some days previously.

It states in the text if you read it that the 30th is the actual release date so I can hardly see you having it days earlier. 

I'M with our avian friend here. How about releasing it for people to read, digest and formulate opinions on  and then have a forum to offer exchange of ideas that may or may not be helpful to implementation. It's going to be Winston's Way regardless so why waste your time going along.He may well follow Messara's advice but when has he EVER listened to anyone other than his reflection?

4 hours ago, eastern whipbird said:

I can see no point in having a meeting to discuss the report and ask questions if report is not released beforehand. I will not be attending unless I can get access some days previously.

I think it's a great idea, drop a few kgs of a   report on people , maybe after opening intro ,  make sure writing is very  small font and lights are dimmed   ,   stand up say quick thanks to author , oh no questions , youve had your chance you lucky people , see you later iam off and if the chauffeurs followed his orders he has vehicle running with clear air to motorway.

9 hours ago, eastern whipbird said:

Ditto. That process is a crock of grandstanding shit. 96 pages? and they are going to release it on the night, concurrent with a local harness meeting. God forbid. That will really help any necessary buy in.

so all of you are going to pre-read and then cast judgement. Who,in reality, gives a f?

Change doesn't happen in an eye-blink, nor does it happen without angst. For mine, the basic numbers are NZRB costs approx $205m p.a. to run and the return to the codes is approx $150m p.a.

Reverse that equation and NZRacing has an extra $50m to distribute every year...small steps but how much grief to put into place? Only from those who'll squeal.

Change the Chair, change the Board and get the bulldozer moving forward.......

I think some of the comments re Messara are a bit off track. The guy is one of Aust most successful breeders via Arrowfield. He’s a successful racehorse Owner. His son is a  successful racehorse Trainer. Himself is a very capable Racing Administrator and single handedly, pushed Racing NSW and Australian in the right direction, working “with” the Govt to bring it out of the doldrums. As a result, Racing in Aust is far better off for his direct involvement. So, when he was invited to do a report on NZ Racing, There’s no doubt in my opinion, that the right person was chosen. Sure, some in NZ (eg, BArryB :) ) might say, “but he’s an Aussie and us kiwis don’t need another Ozzie blah blah blah etc”. The biggest worry for NZ (imho) is “ “What is activated from the Report - if anything?”. Going on past performances, NZR doesn’t do itself any favours and no Govt has ever looked upon it as an Industry that contributes to the NZ Economy and also the social fabric of Society. So much can be done to invigorate it but whether or not the Govt and Racing Authorities have the will to apply the paddles to the patient is another story. But don’t blame Messara - he has the broad knowledge of Racing and he has the runs on the Board - something many on this site don’t have. 

Agree with you Trumpy. Messara can only do the spadework and make the necessary recommendations. What happens then is out of his hands, but we will see if Peters bluster translates into some positive action for the NZ Racing Industry.

Why on Earth this is being done at Claudelands rather than Te Rapa or Ellerslie is another question.

The Elephant In The Room, well, from where I sit it's massive, it's called NZRB........John can and will recommend all he likes but the track record at NZRB is abysmal, and that's being kind. Whatever is put forward will be positive, knowing John's track record, but to rescue NZ Racing from the abyss, is it possible? The culture has changed, Kiwi's don't come from a "true" gambling culture. Corporate or individual bookies would add another dimension to racing in NZ...and it needs to happen.

Unless competent people are charged with implementing the changes, then what's going to change...but at least Messara's report will give an insight into what can happen...which is more than what's on offer now.

As one notable Aussie journalist stated on Twitter yesterday - "if will be more embarrassing if you don't take notice of what Messara has to say.  From what I hear NZ racing is no longer on its knees...its prostrate and struggling to breathe"...