RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Poor old Wobblies....

Wallabies will always struggle to beat NZ in rugby.They just don't have the depth.

Rugby struggles to be in the top 20 sports chosen by secondary kids to play .What with the NFL,AFL,NBL,NRL,semi pro baseball,semi pro water polo etc there is a wide and varied choice of sports for kids to play.

In the recent Bronco v South games ther were at least 7 players who came up in a rugby enviroment but leave school and think,4 pro rugby teams compared to 16 NRL teams and at least as many AFL teams.Where is the best chance for me to make a career.

On 8/19/2018 at 2:03 PM, crustyngrizzly said:

Wallabies will always struggle to beat NZ in rugby.They just don't have the depth.

Rugby struggles to be in the top 20 sports chosen by secondary kids to play .What with the NFL,AFL,NBL,NRL,semi pro baseball,semi pro water polo etc there is a wide and varied choice of sports for kids to play.

In the recent Bronco v South games ther were at least 7 players who came up in a rugby enviroment but leave school and think,4 pro rugby teams compared to 16 NRL teams and at least as many AFL teams.Where is the best chance for me to make a career.

How do you explain the fact that Aussie won the Rugby World Cup in 1991 and 1999 ,and was runner-up in 2003 and 2015 ?

Between 1998 - 2001 Australia played the All Blacks 9 times and won 7 !

There are 156,000 odd registered players in NZ , 230,000 plus in Aussie and considerably more Male adult players.

Therefore find it hard to believe it not one of top 20 sports in Aussie sec schools unless you include ball-tampering and whinging as sports. !

I assume you googled Australia School Sports and they note 20 x sports but no Rugby ,but include sports like diving [do they include league and Football under this?], Baseball and Water Polo.

One could assume that School sports doesn't 'run' Rugby !

I do not believe any figures totted out by NZ Rugby. For the 2011 Rugby World Cup they claimed that there would be 4 Billion viewers watching the World Cup. Shit even The FIFA World Cup does not have those figures. Then last week there was some crap out showing that rugby was a World Sport because they had about 30 Million fans in Mexico and another forty something million fans in India.If you believe that shit you would believe anything.

Gee they have jumped to 156k playing the game in NZ. For many years they just put 150k. Here in Wellington they have big problems. Petone one of our nations greatest clubs is down to 4 senior  teams and many clubs have only one or two senior teams. Wests which was a large club about 20 years ago no longer exists 

Meanwhile football is now close to 3 times larger than Rugby in Wellington in terms of playing numbers. Wellington College has 28 football teams and only 11 rugby teams. Many colleges do not have a first 15. I watched some of The Wellington v Otago NPC game on Sunday and it was spot the spectator. Rugby should be concerned.

Just a couple of points

Basketball is taking schoolboy players off both rugby and soccer.

Any increase in Rugby numbers will be women and girls. Women's rugby is taking players off netball.

Touch rugby is booming at school level. If you ask those school kids playing Touch "What are you most likely to watch on TV"? Most will answer Rugby or NRL.

Spectator numbers are in decline for rugby, but they're declining across all sports. These schoolboys might be playing soccer at school, but how many are turning out to watch games at a higher level? Same with Basketball. People in NZ are just not turning up to watch live sport, unless it's at the very highest level (Internationals).

Football numbers keep increasing year on year and it does not include children under 8 who do not play organised games so are not registered. To further emphasise my point Tawa Rugby has 4 Senior Teams, Tawa Football has 12 Senior  teams. Stokes Valley Rugby has 2 Senior Teams and Stokes Valley Football 9 Senior teams. 

They simply do not have the numbers. In fact if it was not for the polynesion community Rugby numbers would be in a terrible state in Wellington. The NPC used to attract very large crowds but it has be watered down to a development competition so many are just not interested.

Nz Football have a poor history  

On 8/20/2018 at 2:28 PM, tasman man 11 said:

How do you explain the fact that Aussie won the Rugby World Cup in 1991 and 1999 ,and was runner-up in 2003 and 2015 ?

Between 1998 - 2001 Australia played the All Blacks 9 times and won 7 !

There are 156,000 odd registered players in NZ , 230,000 plus in Aussie and considerably more Male adult players.

Therefore find it hard to believe it not one of top 20 sports in Aussie sec schools unless you include ball-tampering and whinging as sports. !

where did you get your 230000 from                Only 86,952 people in a population of 24 million were playing rugby union.Apr 3, 2018

2 hours ago, gary1 said:

where did you get your 230000 from                Only 86,952 people in a population of 24 million were playing rugby union.Apr 3, 2018

Off the internet....www.ruck.co.uk /20 countries with most rugby players.

Ruck has England at 340,547 ,while the website that has Australia at 86,952 has England at 1,990,998.

So who would know ?

33 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

Off the internet....www.ruck.co.uk /20 countries with most rugby players.

Ruck has England at 340,547 ,while the website that has Australia at 86,952 has England at 1,990,998.

So who would know ?

According to the 2017 ARU annual report 271922 played 5 or more games a decline of 0.4% on 2016.

Spread over 24 million still a minor sport.

On 8/27/2018 at 5:52 PM, bloke said:

Football numbers keep increasing year on year and it does not include children under 8 who do not play organised games so are not registered. To further emphasise my point Tawa Rugby has 4 Senior Teams, Tawa Football has 12 Senior  teams. Stokes Valley Rugby has 2 Senior Teams and Stokes Valley Football 9 Senior teams. 

They simply do not have the numbers. In fact if it was not for the polynesion community Rugby numbers would be in a terrible state in Wellington. The NPC used to attract very large crowds but it has be watered down to a development competition so many are just not interested.

Nz Football have a poor history  

I don't disagree - Male rugby playing numbers are in decline and have been for some years. some to Soccer, some to other sports and many now playing nothing.

However - Rugby, largely via the All Blacks,continues to hold the premier position in NZ sport. That is unlikely to change.

How did this go from The poor Wobblies to some Pom telling us soccer is taking over.

It's only taking over because mummy doesn't want little Johhny getting his knees dirty.

She would rather he just fall on the ground when anyone comes near and earn himself a penalty.

The amount of people playing a particular sport doesn't make it any better than another.

Thank goodness Mrs Barrett let little Beaudie get down and dirty.

And thankfully he has a decent set of Jatz on him.

I am not a Pom, I am Kiwi born and bred. 

The warning signals are there and NZ Rugby needs to act as the game is in decay at grass roots level.  Auckland our largest city has performed so badly at Rugby  over the last 10 years and this is partly  down to the lack of numbers playing the game. 

Memphis I can imagine you  stopping your son playing Football telling him that it is only for poofters.

There has been an upsurge in Auckland of immigrants who do not play Rugby - simple.     These figures have been well publicised over the past year or so.     The government is trying to build many more small apartments etc. in Auckland to cope with the ever increasing influx of imigrants which they are encouraging so I can only see the "depth" in the area becoming "shallower" year by year.

1 minute ago, Uriah Heap said:

Memphis has too much class to use the word "Pooftah" He would merely sit his son down and show him a highlights reel of Neymar's dives, theatrics and feigned injuries. He'd ask the boy "Do you really want to play a game where people carry on like that?"

no he would probably take him down to the rugby league ground which is a far superior game

Played soccer one year when I couldn't get into the Rugby team at Marist Bros Intermediate way back.

Crikey how easy is this I thought.Even made some sort of rep team.My mum was pleased as she didn't have to wash my gear as often  as it didn't get dirty enough.

Yes Gary my old man took me to the baths once and I asked him what was going on at a nearby park.He said don't worry about that son.

Later I found out they were playing League there.

3 hours ago, Memphis2 said:

Played soccer one year when I couldn't get into the Rugby team at Marist Bros Intermediate way back.

Crikey how easy is this I thought.Even made some sort of rep team.My mum was pleased as she didn't have to wash my gear as often  as it didn't get dirty enough.

Yes Gary my old man took me to the baths once and I asked him what was going on at a nearby park.He said don't worry about that son.

Later I found out they were playing League there.

really mempy i await your response on injury  and work rate compared to soccer re rugby

Don't hold your breath. It's all in the eye of the beholder. 

Dont need a University study to tell me what I can see. 

Though I must admit the soccer boys must get exhausted as they have to be removed from the pitch regularly on stretchers. Top aerobics though as they return within minutes.