RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Fartoomuch

Mile Racing-Good or Bad

Although its big in USA and NSW its somewhat polarizing as to whether punters  like mile racing in NZ. With Lazarus posting his 1.48 and change i thought it was a really good race to watch and also to bet on.

Mind you i love betting on sprint racing full stop and you only have to look at the popularity of The Jewels and amounts invested on it both tote and fixed odds to see how popular mile racing is.

Am i alone or do other posters find it boring

Oh yeah nothin like watchin good horses rip into a Mile, but equally good seein em go the longer distances too......reckon we need to get a better mix of races Mile's and Distance on race nights somethin for everyone/horse, Jewels is awesome! but the stayin races are equally great to watch......

Cheers Iraklis

14 hours ago, Booby Bec said:

mile racing has it's place in NZ but for me I wouldnt enjoy all races being over a mile or even mobiles for that matter.  In saying that would love to see an open class mile at Ashburton or Wyndham

Ashburton Flying Stakes is always one of the better races of the season.

The whole thing about mile racing is that it also gives F's and M's a chance to run time to enhance their breeding CV. I could be wrong but Winton run some mile races to fit that bill and are very well supported

Wairio Trotting Club who race at Winton have a meeting totally devoted to mile racing and it is very popular. From my point of view I would prefer to see a mix of distances rather than just a mile otherwise things get predictable and boring after a while.

2 hours ago, Big ears said:

Ashburton flying stakes is over 2400m

Correct you are Big Ears , i should have put it more succinctly that for me the AFS although over longer distance is still a great race for sprinters, same for FFA on Show Day. A lot of the open class races are historically over longer distances

The Jewels has been a success because you get a day of good fields and some great horses. 

I believe it'd be just as successful if at 2400-2700 metre races, depending on the venue. 

Mile racing does nothing for me personally, although I'll quite happily watch the Miracle Mile each year, and Lazarus in the USA. 

10 hours ago, Idolmite said:

The Jewels has been a success because you get a day of good fields and some great horses. 

I believe it'd be just as successful if at 2400-2700 metre races, depending on the venue. 

Mile racing does nothing for me personally, although I'll quite happily watch the Miracle Mile each year, and Lazarus in the USA. 

The Jewels and NZ Cup day are clearly the 2 best days racing in any calendar year and yet they are both different in terms of distances raced. They both however put the money up and thus get the best fields available. Horses are set for both events by their trainers which emphasizes  the importance of both days

19 minutes ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

I would not want to see too many mile only days unless brodie was there prancing around in his bottomless gymp outfit and taking a lashing for everytime he said this is boring

A scary thought but we are trying to tidy things up on here Kotate and move on.

As for mile racing it seems that it's ok for a bit of variety but other distance races are ok as well

The draw matters too much for mile racing on all but the biggest tracks. If you have a horse that is only average off the gate, then the odds stacked against it.  At Auckland you need a horse with a good sprint at both the start and finish. I prefer a mix of distances that cater for the mix of horses we have, including the great sprinters and the never say die straight out stayers.

Mile  racing on 1000m tracks is a odd one as generally it’s very hard to hold up from the one gate as horses get a good length of straight to balance up and prepare for the gate to take off. Wider runners get to have a nice angle into the bend more often than not if there half a length ahead of the inside runnerthey will cramp then into letting them go. The perception is it’s easy to hold up from 1-2 but in reality it’s not as easy.  1700m starts at Auckland and Cambridge are actually better start point for the inside runners than the wider ones as the wider ones have just come of the corner an are often aren’t truly squared up when the gate leaves. So the inside ones have that slight advantage and can be squared up earlier when the start point is not as far into the  back straight As the miles starts are