RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Pegasus 9

Chautauqua's racing future in jeopardy

SYDNEY Aug 7 2018

The racing future of former champion sprinter Chautauqua is in jeopardy after he again refused to jump in a barrier trial at Rosehill.

Racing NSW chief steward Marc Van Gestel says he will talk to connections later on Tuesday to discuss their intentions.

Van Gestel says stewards now have to consider whether to refuse nominations to race Chautauqua after his sixth offence at the barriers.

Managing part-owner Rupert Legh, visiting family in Colorado, said he was gutted when he heard Chautauqua had again failed to jump.

He said Chautauqua had done everything right since refusing to jump in a Rosehill trial on July 23 and that the gelding's head was in the right space.

Legh said the future of Chautauqua would be discussed when he and trainers John, Michael and Wayne Hawkes had fully digested Tuesday's trial.

"I've had a brief conversation with John but we'll talk later on when the emotion comes out of it," Legh told SEN1116.

"It's all still a bit raw at this stage."

Chautauqua eventually came out of the barriers, finishing last of the 10 runners, more than 90 lengths behind the winner Auchentoman.

Racing NSW starter Dale Jeffs said he thought Chautauqua was going to jump when he lunged forward as the gates opened.

Jeffs said Chautauqua eventually left the gates on his own accord, an improvement on previous occasions when barrier attendants have had to lead him out.

2 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

He's under a racing embargo now apparently. It's pretty clear to everyone bar the connections that the ride is over.

Just retire him now and remember him as the Champ he is.....$8.8m should be enough for anyone.

The real story behind this nonsense will come out eventually. 6 times failing to jump on terms must surely be telling connections something. Who is wanting to persevere, Trainers or Owners.

52 minutes ago, Fartoomuch said:

The real story behind this nonsense will come out eventually. 6 times failing to jump on terms must surely be telling connections something. Who is wanting to persevere, Trainers or Owners.

Right Farty....hopefully the Stewards will do their job and make the decision for them....:rolleyes:

They are asking the question in OZ too......82%  say retire him.

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/we-ask-the-question--should-the-white-flag-be-hoisted-on-chautauqua-s-wonderful-career-20180807

They're greedy bastards, let's be honest, 90% on social media here in OZ are in favour of the horse going to Living Legends, earned 8.8 mil and they are still after the bucks and adulation.....the owner is now a laughing stock, it's his call not Hawkes....so make it, let the lovely animal enjoy his retirement.....any steward with half a brain would ban the horse, he's a punters risk, and that's not good.....hopefully his ego won't get in the way of sound reasoning. Fingers Crossed!

18 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Right Farty....hopefully the Stewards will do their job and make the decision for them....:rolleyes:

They are asking the question in OZ too......82%  say retire him.

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/we-ask-the-question--should-the-white-flag-be-hoisted-on-chautauqua-s-wonderful-career-20180807

I saw that and some comments on other sites. Ridiculous

I dont understand this at all, look the horse is alive and well but owner saying he's gutted and will decide when the emotion comes out. He's won god damn 8 mill did he seriously think he would come out the gates today.If he came out today he wouldnt next time or time after that.If my cat started to get the hump after 5 years of hopping through the cat flap refused to go out through it  and do what he needs to do  I'd get the message think he ain't a  bad old sod , he's been alright to have around and  I would  get off my arse and open the door for him.And old Felix has not earnt me 8 mill. The champ has earnt the right to a regal retirement ,have some doors opened for him ,  they've given it a right old lash , please stop now.

I can’t believe this owner....how greedy. Just by the way, he also owns a horse I believe will go close to halting the run of Winx...the Mick Price trainer Grunt...please let the Stewards make the decision and take it out of Hawkes Racing/Rupert Legh hands.

Don't know if this has been brought up before... but would be interesting to see if he went to a trial but they tried to make him jump from the outside (I.e., not in the gates)… Whether he still just stands there or misses away by say 6 lengths as they invariably used to do in the "old days".  Could tell you something I guess..

2 minutes ago, Ponderosa8 said:

Don't know if this has been brought up before... but would be interesting to see if he went to a trial but they tried to make him jump from the outside (I.e., not in the gates)… Whether he still just stands there or misses away by say 6 lengths as they invariably used to do in the "old days".  Could tell you something I guess..

I was thinking that myself today. I had one a few years ago who was a tart to load so we done that with her at the jump outs one day after she wouldn't load, come right after that(better at least). 

Quite a few things could be tried I'd say. If he's sound, fit and healthy, give the bloke a chance. What they are doing is obviously not working. Try something different? Love to have a chat with him in a round pen.