RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
premixer

Joining a racing club

Often looked at in the past, but never actually done it, but what are the benefits of joining a club, in this instance Riccarton as its my 'home' track.

Looking at the fees its $275 for the year for a new member.  Apart from a few tickets to some of the bigger meetings, what else does it entitle me too?

They mention access to the members stand, but on a normal day I can waltz in there anyway, and on the big days over cup week, I would probably rather be out in the sun on the grass with friends than inside.

I'm not bagging it in case it comes across that way, genuinely interested in what other benefits there are apart from simply supporting the club with the fees.

Cheers

Whats the value of 9 admission charges over Grand National Week and 9 over Cup Week (ie 3 people each day) ? I suspect that would cover the $275 quite easily but haven't checked the $.

Plus the value of having access to Phar Lap Room (best room on course - just saying), and smaller Members Only room.

There are members promotions as well which appeal to some and discounts on lunches etc from time to time.

Foe me I love the place and like being a member. I enjoy the people and atmosphere and get full value for my membership (measured by $ as well). If you don't go that often or don't want to use the facilities it may not be worth it for you.

I am a member nowadays at TeRapa and the facilities since their revamp are great, and at $125 for two passes I feel they represent great value.

The Friday night before the Foxbridge Plate, they have John Letts there at a cocktail function, following on from Greg Miles last year.

Well done to the Waikato R.C , their lounge improvements are fantastic, let’s hope the Owner Trainers area is next!

50 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

I am a member nowadays at TeRapa and the facilities since their revamp are great, and at $125 for two passes I feel they represent great value.

The Friday night before the Foxbridge Plate, they have John Letts there at a cocktail function, following on from Greg Miles last year.

Well done to the Waikato R.C , their lounge improvements are fantastic, let’s hope the Owner Trainers area is next!

By "joining" a sports club most people associate that with participation. Getting tickets for car parking or a stand or a function is hardly participation. The only real participants are the committee or board members.

There has to be a rethink in racing just what a member should be. The current status quo is obsolete, unatractive and a waste of time.

Interesting perspectives.

I was a member at Auckland for 25 years and I left last year, why.........????      Non delivery.

There was little value to it, I could not go anywhere to get away from the shorts and jandals, the supposed value of membership did not eventuate or manifest in any form or fact. I have, as an owner, been there as many times as I have as a member per annum, so could not provide support them any longer. Dress standards not upheld, benefits undelivered, a no brainer really even when I wanted to participate. 

As an aside, I am a member at Avondale and also the VRC, and get a better delivery from those clubs.

cheers

On 8/3/2018 at 10:36 PM, John Clydesdale said:

Interesting perspectives.

I was a member at Auckland for 25 years and I left last year, why.........????      Non delivery.

There was little value to it, I could not go anywhere to get away from the shorts and jandals, the supposed value of membership did not eventuate or manifest in any form or fact. I have, as an owner, been there as many times as I have as a member per annum, so could not provide support them any longer. Dress standards not upheld, benefits undelivered, a no brainer really even when I wanted to participate. 

As an aside, I am a member at Avondale and also the VRC, and get a better delivery from those clubs.

cheers

Can't agree with you as a dress code is enforced......I got turned away from members on a couple of 'normal' days cos wearing shorts !

Definite advantages on Group 1 days being a member.

A few meetings short last season so they gave 5 x $10 Food vouchers ,plus a special intro offer to the Informant !

Plus you get to vote and have your say at AGM ,if inclined .

Clubs need members , and I think Ellerslie delivers.

Of course the Public facilities are excellent....members rooms upstairs are very comfortable ,with excellent viewing.

I doubt you can say too much positive about Avondale which has an OK track but very poor facilities ,tho the Chips are hot cos not many sold !

On 8/5/2018 at 12:15 AM, tasman man 11 said:

Can't agree with you as a dress code is enforced......I got turned away from members on a couple of 'normal' days cos wearing shorts !

Definite advantages on Group 1 days being a member.

A few meetings short last season so they gave 5 x $10 Food vouchers ,plus a special intro offer to the Informant !

Plus you get to vote and have your say at AGM ,if inclined .

Clubs need members , and I think Ellerslie delivers.

Of course the Public facilities are excellent....members rooms upstairs are very comfortable ,with excellent viewing.

I doubt you can say too much positive about Avondale which has an OK track but very poor facilities ,tho the Chips are hot cos not many sold !

Can't see much logic in the above.

So you are saying a club should maintain or introduce facilities that are only going to be used a few hours per year and then restrict their use to a few "selected" patrons. Hardly makes economic sense. There are plenty pubs, eating places, meeting places around town that are used every day. Why not book one of them if you want a private exclusive get together.

I'm not saying I've got the formula but I would venture to say that nowadays people are more conscious about exercise so rather than bail them up in some "exclusive" room create an environment where there are various stalls, marquees, trade exhibitors etc for racegoers to move about.

More emphasis must be given to sponsors, racing syndicate members, and racing staff. Restricting areas to "members only" is a put off and an anachronism.

8 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Can't see much logic in the above.

So you are saying a club should maintain or introduce facilities that are only going to be used a few hours per year and then restrict their use to a few "selected" patrons. Hardly makes economic sense. There are plenty pubs, eating places, meeting places around town that are used every day. Why not book one of them if you want a private exclusive get together.

I'm not saying I've got the formula but I would venture to say that nowadays people are more conscious about exercise so rather than bail them up in some "exclusive" room create an environment where there are various stalls, marquees, trade exhibitors etc for racegoers to move about.

More emphasis must be given to sponsors, racing syndicate members, and racing staff. Restricting areas to "members only" is a put off and an anachronism.

Are you saying  'exercise' is one of the benefits of attending race meetings ?.....I can't see the logic in that.

I don't see members areas as private exclusive get togethers ,a wide range of people use them.

Members areas usually include sponsors rooms ,private function rooms , they are shared by Owners, trainers and like minded racing folk. 

Viewing the parade ring excellent at Ellerslie plus seating in line with finishing line and I guess a bit more comfortable overall ,tho public facilities very good at Ellerslie.

Having a say in how the club runs may be of interest to some and I guess there's a sense of belonging to something worthwhile.In many clubs members 'own' the club .

Ive been a member of 3 x racing clubs in NZ and spoken up at AGM's and been a member of other sports clubs where I consider members are a worthwhile group who provide worthwhile subscriptions toward the ongoing running of the organisation.

I was a member of a golf club for a time , used the excellent facilities , but then interest wained so I quit !

Good idea to create stalls, marquees and trade  exhibitions ...maybe even a Fashion Parade or two......to have your say on these bright new ideas you will have to become a member !

Maybe get on the Board , again you will need to be a member for that too !