RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
pilli

J.B./Ian Hastie.RIP

Saddened to learn of Ian's sudden passing earlier this week.

Ian was a much respected stalwart of The Northern Greyhound Scene during the 1990 & 2000 decades.Perhaps best known as Trainer  of super dog RUMMO,winner of his first 15 starts during the 95/96 season.Ian deservedly tasted Group One Success with HELLO AWESOME,in the time honoured 2006 Waterloo Cup,for breeder and main kennel client Ron Dent.

Ian held strong opinions on what would benefit The Greyhound Code,and served as Vice President of The Auckland Greyhound Club,alongside President Ron Dent,during troubled times.

Ian was always available to share his Greyhound Knowledge with those who sought his opinion,and wrote a monthly breeding column in The Greyhound Magazine for a period.

Ian was also a high achiever on the sports field,playing for Champion Team Mt Wellington in The National League,played Six Internationals for NZ,and pro soccer in Australia.

Ian had retired from The Greyhound Scene a decade back,and relocated to The Sunshine Coast in Queensland.Ian and Wife Wendy returned as locals recently to enjoy being Grandparents.

Personally,I remain grateful to Ian for giving me the opportunity to handle my first greyhound at the races,and enjoyed the years that followed travelling together to Cambridge and Wanganui Racemeetings.

I met Ian when I got into Greyhounds. I was lucky enough to lease Ciame Go, Mistress Honcho and Iteru Ka from Ian and Ron which gave me a great start.
He was always available to offer his support, advice and friendship freely.
He pushed me to become a lure driver at Auckland and helped with my breeding program for my dogs.
I will always be grateful to Ian for giving me a great introduction to racing and am honoured to have called him a friend.

Rest in peace Ian