RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Catalano

The Curragh

38 minutes ago, Catalano said:

I'm lucky enough to be celebrating a birthday at the Curragh on August 12th, I have no idea of the form over there, so if anyone's got a tip, or knowledge of how the track plays, jockey/trainer to follow - anything would be appreciated!

Wow lucky you...its a great place super friendly people you will have a blast.

22 minutes ago, DatoStar said:

Go to Dublin on sunday and get to Slatterys Bar in Capel St, best sunday session you'll ever have !

The races are on Sunday, and my family are coming from all over Ireland, by the time we get back to Dublin I don't think we'll be in any state for a Sunday Session (but I'll keep it in mind just in case :) )

8 hours ago, Catalano said:

I'm lucky enough to be celebrating a birthday at the Curragh on August 12th, I have no idea of the form over there, so if anyone's got a tip, or knowledge of how the track plays, jockey/trainer to follow - anything would be appreciated!

Brilliant way to spend birthday afternoon. Ironically I was at Leopardstown to watch Istabraq win Irish Champion in 2000 , a brilliant days racing but sure it was a pint of guiness at Leopardstown that  gave me crook guts , was horrible flight  back to Stansted next day but that's another story.A day out at races in Ireland always good.

Irish racing and British racing bonded together and in fact the Irish Turf club run Down Royal and Downpatrick in the North not the BHA.. The BHA and ITC work together and everyone from players in industry to punters  really hope this continues after Brexit. The guts of this is the form is interlinked , easy to line up together handicap wise  and betting the same in both countries.

The Curragh has had big refurb, so should be top notch. The day you go is Phoenix Stakes day, a top 2 year race previously run at the old Phoenix Park course . Won recently by Mastercraftsman and Holy Roman Empire so class winners.Since 1998 Aiden O'Brien has won it 14 times, and David Wachman once so a Coolmore monopoly. Easy then, errr no , he will have a number of runners , will be by Scat Daddy , War Front and maybe Galileo. All will look magnificent. OK go on jockey bookings . Err no, Ryan Moore has pick but is a better jockey than tipster. He has a tough job picking to be fair but regular races are won by perceived 2nd choice jockey. In fact Padraig Beggy won 2017 Epsom  Derby on Wings Of Eagles for the team He's had 12 rides total in two years,  work that out.Mick Channon and Richard Hannon go OK in juvenile front and sometimes raid Ireland successfully. 

The sprint race on card,  the Phoenix Sprint have a look   at North English yards , they plunder the group 2s group 3s and lower sprints regularly and the Irish horses seem not so strong here as the big yards do not focus on these so much.The likes of Easterby, Fahey and O'Meara yards from England.Old Gorden Lord Byron (the horse that is )  might pop up in that race.

The maiden on card , look out for Aiden's also runs as they are  good show of ending up in LLoyd Williams colours at some point in OZ.

Binos are real handy as they are sometimes a distance away from stands.Most courses over there hire them out if you don't want to drag your own round at the after races pub crawl.

Have a brilliant day.

Awesome RR! Thanks for that, plenty of good info to work with. I'm also hoping to make it to Sligo and Killarney. Last time I was in Ireland they cancelled the Sligo races after a huge downpour that night. I'd driven from Cork for it, so I dragged the kids to the course anyway and had a chat to the Track Manager, who said they hadn't had to cancel a race meeting for 20 years - that was my only opportunity to go to the races on that trip, so I wasn't all that happy as you can imagine.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:48 AM, Catalano said:

Catalano, entries in for 12th, Racing Post best site for digging through them.Strange card for up North longest race mile, 10 of 14 in Pheonix Stakes nominated from Ballydoyle , good luck sifting through that. Gallant old Gordon Lord Byron in sprint but from  noms I'd be having a look at Andrew Balding raider if he declares. 

Good luck, enjoy the Guiness.

Aiden O’Brien “usually” wins the Phoenix. He’s won most of the last 20 runnings of it, incl the last 4. They (Coolmore) see it as a Stallion making race. The last time I went to The Curragh was the day One Cool Cat won The Phoenix (2003) and he ended up at Sir Patrick’s. It was a bitterly cold day but  I enjoyed the day. Saw Lester Piggot present a trophy, John Magnier (Coolmore) arrived in a NZD$850,000 Mercedes Maybach Car - driving himself! What was impressive was the vast expanse of The Curragh. I’m not sure of how much land they have but it’s afl. The straight 6 race was fun to watch with about 30 runners. A horse by Desert Sun won it at double fig price and I had 20ew on it - only because it had the same Sire as Sunline! Paid for our day out at The Curragh :) enjoy the day!

We had a Guinness and then had a look ariund. We didn’t realise it was so big out the back and probably could have had a meal. The photos and memorabilia were awesome and the whole looks like great craic!

raining here right now, but meant to clear and the track is going to be good. I’m using the tips from attheraces.com. Although with so many first starters, I might just go on looks.

I’ve got aunts, uncles and cousins all heading to the course and none of them know anything about racing (although one aunt backed red rum when he beat Crisp). 

Will be a great day!

Have a great day Catalano, The Curragh is a lovely track and fields look pretty even for today.

Personally, The O'Brien''s are always hard to beat.With all the wet weather in the spring in Ireland alot of trainers have been 3/4 weeks behind in their preps.Fozzy Stack is a top man who's team has struggled this season because of the spring they have had,but has a couple of chances today.Billy Lee is one of my favourite jockeys , he rides very well and usually lands something with value especially when riding for McCreery.

Enjoy your day

How was The Curragh. I see old Gorden Lord Byron ran well and watched the Pheonix Stakes online , good win by English raider. Be a few years since it left Ireland. Calyx must be a gun 2 yo as Frankie rode that to beat Advertise in the Coventry and that's Advertise only defeat. Unfortunately Calyx done for season with setback but John Gosden will get him back. 

Was Alpha Centuri's Deauville win shown on course ?, she's best horse in Europe so far this season.

Hope you had good day on the punt.

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

This is what I wrote about Alpha Centauri on June 23, and given that I’m the best judge around it follows that when I label one they’re definitely the real deal

Anyone see her win The Coronation last night ?

Go watch the video, she’s a serious horse, and she broke the track record but 1.5 seconds !!

Fair play P4P I clearly recall this post and have kept a close eye on this horse since and I have to hand it to you full credit , you picked it , she's a superstar.Almost like cycle pursuit race formation,  group of four slipstreaming with the other larger group doing the same. I was wondering at the five pole if leader would hand up and let second cut the breeze and so on.She is a superstar and not sure any milers up there will see where she went if she stays healthy. I haven't read up on the Post but would assume QE2 Stakes on Champions Day October is plan as that is the seen by many as ultimate mile champion all aged test up there. A great roll of honour on that races board . However has been highly amusing race in past when Maroof  in 1994 for Shadwell and Summoner for Godolphin were pacemakers but won it at any old odds in front of the stable  gun horse .Richard Hills rode both .

16 hours ago, Swoopa said:

Have a great day Catalano, The Curragh is a lovely track and fields look pretty even for today.

Personally, The O'Brien''s are always hard to beat.With all the wet weather in the spring in Ireland alot of trainers have been 3/4 weeks behind in their preps.Fozzy Stack is a top man who's team has struggled this season because of the spring they have had,but has a couple of chances today.Billy Lee is one of my favourite jockeys , he rides very well and usually lands something with value especially when riding for McCreery.

Enjoy your day

Fozzy Stack , son of Tommy Stack the rider of the greatest racehorse ever in the history of the world , the universe , the galaxy RED RUM on the day of his crowning glory the 2nd April 1977. 

17 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

She was great again, but as is the way sometimes in France they only went along at a nice three quarter the first 800m.

I’d love to own her though, when you get a good genuine mare they’re diamonds

Iam a big fan of French racing, I know a lot of  people not overkeen due to as you point out the slow early pace , makes for some good finishes on magnificent racecourses . I don't mind pacemakers , if you cannot pick them as the pacemaker then you are not a genuine punter. Coupled in France on Pari Mutual anyway so back one you get the team so to speak.

Love French Racing!......one of life's great experiences was going ARC day, and buying premium seating, half the cost of Flemington and Moonee Valley on their Cup/Plate days......easy to get a bet on, great food and drink at reasonable prices, and a lovely atmosphere, no drunks nor threatening behaviour, and of course to see Treve, even though she went under.....Gotta luv the French. And that's the old Longchamp, the new/rebuilt grandstand looks amazing.

1 hour ago, La Zip said:

Love French Racing!......one of life's great experiences was going ARC day, and buying premium seating, half the cost of Flemington and Moonee Valley on their Cup/Plate days......easy to get a bet on, great food and drink at reasonable prices, and a lovely atmosphere, no drunks nor threatening behaviour, and of course to see Treve, even though she went under.....Gotta luv the French. And that's the old Longchamp, the new/rebuilt grandstand looks amazing.

LZ , Pretty decent ride by Frankie on Golden Horn that year , my favorite Arc though is Dancing Brave powering down outside in 1986 with the master Pat Eddery up , mowing down the class of  Bering and Triptych. What a horse he was.

Racing was the winner on the day. I didn’t manage a collect all day although had 2/3 in about 6 trifectas. 

What a beautiful course and surrounds. Everything is just so well managed, even with the place under construction. 

The size of the course, the facilities, bookies, atmosphere - all fantastic. 

Mans I even got to see a Frankie Dettori star jump!

1 hour ago, Catalano said:

Racing was the winner on the day. I didn’t manage a collect all day although had 2/3 in about 6 trifectas. 

What a beautiful course and surrounds. Everything is just so well managed, even with the place under construction. 

Sounds like you had a fab day Catalano. Looking forward to seeing the place again myself next year for the first time since 1979!

22 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Fozzy Stack , son of Tommy Stack the rider of the greatest racehorse ever in the history of the world , the universe , the galaxy RED RUM on the day of his crowning glory the 2nd April 1977. 

Yes Red Rum,all 6ft+ of him!!Trains on their 200 acre property on the edge of the small village  of Golden, you would be happy to know that the local pub has a big mural of Tommy and Red Rum on its exterior side elevation

4 hours ago, Catalano said:

Sounds like you had a great day Catalano. You summed up how Irish racing is for visiting  racing folk and how it should be around the world.You will remember  your day for a long time. 

Cheers Swoopa

1 hour ago, Swoopa said:

Yes Red Rum,all 6ft+ of him!!Trains on their 200 acre property on the edge of the small village  of Golden, you would be happy to know that the local pub has a big mural of Tommy and Red Rum on its exterior side elevation

Thanks Swoopa ,Wil have to put that pub on my planned racing tour when I retire. Not many people know Rummy won a 5 furlong two year old race at Aintree ( dead heat) and was ridden twice by Lester Piggott as a two year old. You may have seen it before but in 1977 Red Rum appeared in the studio of the BBC sports awards on live TV. He was calm and stood like the warrior he was. Then they went to Tommy Stack via link to studio  and as soon as he heard his voice Red Rum changed,  his ears went up moving  like a radar dish but he stood still  , he knew who was talking. Tommy Stack was priceless , he saw this and said words to effect , Rummy's thinking bugger it's that bloke  again. A truly  beautiful moment between human and horse . Tony McCoy said on Red Rum's death records are there to be broken , Red Rum's record won't be equalled let alone broken  it will stand the test of time.As you know the  National fences were a  lot lot tougher then as well. As my Dad says as I was too young to remember , has good was Crisp from Aussie to almost give Red Rum 23 pounds in 1973.