RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

$1,000,000 Race for Sydney.

World’s first $1 million greyhound race announced for Sydney

World’s first $1 million greyhound race announced for Sydney
Wentworth Park will host the world's richest greyhound race in October.

A newly created greyhound race worth $1.2 million, making it the richest race in the world, will be run at WentworthPark on October 20.

The GRNSW and Ladbrokes Million Dollar Chase (520m) eclipses Victoria’s $630,000 Melbourne Cup (515m) which is run at Sandown on November 23.

The Million Dollar Chase series will start in September, consisting of 11 NSW-based regional races, for dogs domiciled in districts across NSW, plus another 14 metropolitan qualifiers, open to greyhounds throughout Australia.

Sixty four dogs from the regional and metropolitan qualifiers will compete in eight semi finals on October 13 with the final run a week later.

The series will offer $1.7 million in prizemoney with the final worth $1.2 million, carrying a $1 million purse for the winner.

More information will come to hand in the coming hours.

http://www.grnsw.com.au/news/nsw-to-host-the-worlds-richest-greyhound-event-with-1million-first-prize-and-animal-welfare-boosts

I like the condition of entry that only dogs that are entered must be re-homed afterward.  Though be interesting to see how this is policed over the following years. 

A problem I see, is there really enough quality dogs around to fill all the qualifying heats etc. When you start adding nomination fees (which I think is a good idea) an the knowledge that you’ll be racing the superstars of the sport, will people be really prepared to miss a weeks normal graded racing and most likely pay to get beat. 

James

Interesting hearing Mark Rosonowski talk about this on Dogzone yesterday. He raised the 'dog to be re-homed' condition. And I think I agree with Roso,  in that, it's stupid because it draws attention to the fact that a dog that has just won its connections $1mil has to have a written condition to ensure it gets to live past its use by date! That's a bad look. 

Infact Roso's whole tone was one of "why are they (dog racing nsw) drawing attention to themselves with a $1mil race and stupid 'trying too hard' re-homing conditions when we should be lying low and staying under the radar of the haters. 

Sad but true.  How bad is it when that's the case!

I've said before $1mil races, professionalism, exposure etc will not save this game, it will only hasten its demise. Sorry folks the only way this game can survive is as a hobby. People doing it for fun, love and ribbons. Ah yes the good old days. But it's too late now I think.

1 hour ago, Lowdown said:

Interesting hearing Mark Rosonowski talk about this on Dogzone yesterday. He raised the 'dog to be re-homed' condition. And I think I agree with Roso,  in that, it's stupid because it draws attention to the fact that a dog that has just won its connections $1mil has to have a written condition to ensure it gets to live past its use by date! That's a bad look. 

Infact Roso's whole tone was one of "why are they (dog racing nsw) drawing attention to themselves with a $1mil race and stupid 'trying too hard' re-homing conditions when we should be lying low and staying under the radar of the haters. 

Sad but true.  How bad is it when that's the case!

I've said before $1mil races, professionalism, exposure etc will not save this game, it will only hasten its demise. Sorry folks the only way this game can survive is as a hobby. People doing it for fun, love and ribbons. Ah yes the good old days. But it's too late now I think.

Well I would add that Greyhound racing in NSW is on the up. Same cant be said about it here in NZ. I think its a positive step in the right direction that every dog that competes in the race has to re-homed. It also highlights that the industry is pushing for this change. Compare it to NZ and tell me that the same can be said about NZ