RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
H.tran

best dog racing in the 1970's

Looking at NZ only at the time you'd have to consider the likes of Laurel Streak as Lindsay mentioned]

When we frist got in to dogs the best dog I saw was Gay Rainbird. I know that she is still in our pedigree with many offspring of Moana Nui and the Halls with Rosie Hall, so how many of the dogs you named can say the same?

When we frist got in to dogs the best dog I saw was Gay Rainbird. I know that she is still in our pedigree with many offspring of Moana Nui and the Halls with Rosie Hall, so how many of the dogs you named can say the same?

Would agree that Gay Rainbird has to be a candidate for best racing in the 70s in NZ and certainly the later half. But then there's Brother Bee he was an outstanding dog and could well edge her out. Also Lampada beat Gay Rainbird in the NZ Zone final in Auckland to be the NZ rep in the NSW St Leger semi. Brother Bee was NZ rep earlier and a quarter share in him was sol;d at a then record price. Several of us had some very good dogs that footed it with Gay Rainbird and beat her a few times but she had to be the best of that crop overall. For NZ I'd say it would be between her and Brother Bee but there are a few other pretenders to the title.

Your last comment only shows the short sightedness of many NZ breeders and other factors that many of the good dogs or bitches of that period are not easily identified in pedigrees today. It highlights the failure of many to keep or keep track of their lines but many are still there in the pedigrees of todays kiwi dogs if people were to spend the time and look for them. It's not a reflection on the dogs themselves.

Judging by other threads that have discussed this in the past many people racing today are not even aware of those lines today let alone knowing where to find them or start looking.

In my o[pinion one of the best in the 70's was "Lisa Havoc"

She won from the 300m to over 800m.

Feature races and track records all the way through.

The Havoc line in the seventies was very strong on both breeding and racing. A true lady in Grace Walsh always handled her.

Along with her husband Jock they trained many winners.

Cheers Ray Adcock

In my o[pinion one of the best in the 70's was "Lisa Havoc"

She won from the 300m to over 800m.

Feature races and track records all the way through.

The Havoc line in the seventies was very strong on both breeding and racing. A true lady in Grace Walsh always handled her.

Along with her husband Jock they trained many winners.

Cheers Ray Adcock

very true Ray- she was lucky with the Auckland cup- when Luarel Streak fell on the first bend

A lot of readers aren't old enough to remember him racing and therefore cant comment.

I can remember him racing but at the time tooo young to comprehend how good he was.

Isn't the dog (stuffed) on show at the greyhound social club(Potts Park)?

A lot of readers aren't old enough to remember him racing and therefore cant comment.

I can remember him racing but at the time tooo young to comprehend how good he was.

very possible, because i think your right, i seen him over most of his racing carreer and until The Shoe came along held the Harold Park circuit record for 500 yards under 26 seconds on grass that equates to most of the new recordsi would think cheers Jim

Yeh way before my time also.. but my old man reckons he was the fastest dog he had ever seen go around as a sprinter..best dog he says Zoom Top..as she could win over anything..

All the best...

Yeh way before my time also.. but my old man reckons he was the fastest dog he had ever seen go around as a sprinter..best dog he says Zoom Top..as she could win over anything..

All the best...

he was a good judge, Zoom Top also ran fast time over the middle distance and as i have said earlier in this thread THEY WERE THE TIMES cheers Jim

he was a good judge, Zoom Top also ran fast time over the middle distance and as i have said earlier in this thread THEY WERE THE TIMES cheers Jim

Yes mate so my old man says also...gee he can pluck some dogs names out to which he had seen..like the ikes of roman Earl..which he reckons he was just a great dog around wenty park...

Yes mate so my old man says also...gee he can pluck some dogs names out to which he had seen..like the ikes of roman Earl..which he reckons he was just a great dog around wenty park...

He was the racing of yester year so many champions racing each other at that period, low grade races were like budding champions to win a 5th grade final on Saturday night at Harold park was having the same feeling i would imagine they have winning the Easter Egg today. Cheers Jim ps he was called Roman = long nose, he was badly undershot.

very true Ray- she was lucky with the Auckland cup- when Luarel Streak fell on the first bend

Double Kwik 2nd and one of my favourites with 8 wins in a row through the grades 578 mtrs at Mt Smart, Rodney Parade 3rd, was when Greg Parker had a Dog in the Auckland Cup final I think it was the same year, An outstanding achievement with the outstanding level of dogs around at that time, I think it was Debs Wayne, not sure as there are no records for me to check on NZGRA, which seems a shame, cheers Warren Bronson

Nobody thinks Black Top was any good ?? on the comments re other greyhounds cheers Jim

He was one of the first I thought of but you'd be struggling to class him as a 1970s racer he was whelped in the early 60s. But a phenomenal greyhound nevertheless. 20 starts for 17 wins and 2 seconds in 1 year; world record holder for 500yard a time he ran 3 times and sire of Busy Bomber, Busy's Charm, Zoom Top, Miller's Moss (sire of Miss High Lo etc), The Shoe (also a world 500yd record holder like his sire), Milimsimbi etc. His stock won around 10,000 races in his first year at stud.

A champion and a legend. Many dogs today like Made to Size, Queen Size, Size Can Matter trace their lineage back to him. They say that at stud he virtually established a dynasty, like the Wheeler Bale line years later or the great Temlee (who was of the '70s and incidentally has Roccabright in his pedigree which is a double up in Black Tops)

Not of the '70s but well worth a mention in any decade.

Being before your time is not an excuse for not knowing of him for serious students of greyhound racing and pedigrees. So was Master McGrath and Mick The Miller, Monalee Champion, Sandman, Ballyregan Bob etc. Temlee was before some peoples time too but he is essential to any student of breeding. likewise Black Top.

A while ago I saw some pups advertised in the classifieds on greyhound-data.com and the first selling point mentioned was "family of the great Zoom Top" which of course was one of Black Top's greatest sons. So almost 50 years on he and his progeny are still a marketing point for selling stock.

He was one of the first I thought of but you'd be struggling to class him as a 1970s racer he was whelped in the early 60s. But a phenomenal greyhound nevertheless. 20 starts for 17 wins and 2 seconds in 1 year]

Awesome reading, hard to beat that record, cheers Warren Bronson

He was one of the first I thought of but you'd be struggling to class him as a 1970s racer he was whelped in the early 60s. But a phenomenal greyhound nevertheless. 20 starts for 17 wins and 2 seconds in 1 year]

race dog from the past one Rocket Mac that was another foundation sire of the 60s lol cheers Jim

race dog from the past one Rocket Mac that was another foundation sire of the 60s lol cheers Jim

By golly we are going way beyond the'70s now. He was at his peak as a race dog when Black Top was being whelped and gamboling around as a stroppy little ankle biter. (Incidentally Black Top was the smallest in his litter so he literally was a little ankle biter) .If ever there was a dog bred to be a champion it was Rocket Mac. By Rocket Jet holder of 19 track records and rated the best stud dog of his time, grandsire wasTumble Bug virtually one of the foundation sires of the modern American greyhound and inductee into the USA Greyhound Hall of Fame. Macareena his dam was a champion race bitch winning 50 races and holding 20 track records. 96 starts 82 times in the money and raced past 5years. Wonder if anyone thought she was over raced - probably explains why she only lived to 16 years. She was another Hall of Famer.

He also includes outsanding sires like Silver Chief (Waterloo Cup & Melbourne Cup winner) and double ups to top sires like Pharminda, Andrew Micawber Australiia's best sire of the 1920s and possibly the best son of the great Micawber (My father had coursing greyhounds and "tin hare" racers as the track was called then, in the 1940s that were either sons or grandsons of Andrew Micawber;so some of his progeny made it to NZ); has double ups to greats like Farndon Ferry, White Hope, who some say was the greatest coursing sire of all time, Golden Terms winner of 2 Derbies and many others. His pedigree is chock full of top dogs and champions line bred to each other over centuries and reads almost like a who's who of greyhound racing. The likes of Light of Fire, Shining Chariot and Bowetzel and Texas Gold amongst others trace back through him.

Proof if one ever needed it that breeding from good and top performers combined with successful nicks and good line breeding does work.

Ragsie always comes to mind. He was a terrific race dog but a b*******d in the kennels. I remember him biting the face of Paul Cauchi's youngest boy. What a mess . Very rare to see a greyhound so agressive.

Ragsie always comes to mind. He was a terrific race dog but a b*******d in the kennels. I remember him biting the face of Paul Cauchi's youngest boy. What a mess . Very rare to see a greyhound so agressive.

Yes a great dog and tremendous stayer, 1972 NSW GOTY. His litter sister Lady of Rome won The laurels. Line bred to Rocket Jet Silver Chief, Chief havoc and others. Another good ad for line breeding.

You been talking to Jim Baird? He mentioned Ragsie to me yesterday.

Yes a great dog and tremendous stayer, 1972 NSW GOTY. His litter sister Lady of Rome won The laurels. Line bred to Rocket Jet Silver Chief, Chief havoc and others. Another good ad for line breeding.

No, sorry dont know him.

I might be wrong, but i dont think he threw anything exciting.

The old mind is going back some 40 years and fading fast!

What about Waverley Supreme, there's another dog that changed everything down under.
he threw buka sunset trained by alec reid who we had a couple of good dogs wth at the time