Sign in to follow this  
poundforpound

Saundry on AW tracks

100 posts in this topic

He’s seems to get it pretty right here, suggesting he’s done his research..

He knows about the value of polymer tracks ( pity the lithping idiot Guerin doesn’t, he suggests Polytrack which has wax in it, mind you WTF Guerin is even writing about our code mystifies me ).

I note they don’t mention Riccarton or CHCH.....and given that the three tracks are to be funded from Shane Jones’ RDF it’s worth noting that Riccarton cannot be allocated funding for such a track because it’s in a Metropolitan area....thus excluded from RDF funding.....sorry Pitty...your ranting was a waste of time, if only you’d asked, then I could’ve explained the law to you.

Rangiora maybe ? Oops, sorry Pitty, it’s not your day is it :)

Anyway back to Saundry..After this there’s some glimmer of hope, they seem on track for a Pro-Ride into the future.

 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12096773

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

He’s seems to get it pretty right here, suggesting he’s done his research..

He knows about the value of polymer tracks ( pity the lithping idiot Guerin doesn’t, he suggest Polytrack which has wax in it, mind you WTF Guerin is even writing about our code mystifies me ).

I note they don’t mention Riccarton or CHCH.....and given that the three tracks are to be funded from Shane Jones’ RDF it’s worth noting that Riccarton cannot be allocated funding for such a track because it’s in a Metropolitan area....thus excluded from RDF funding.....sorry Pitty...your ranting was a waste of time, if only you’d asked, then I could’ve explained the law to you.

Rangiora maybe ? Oops, sorry Pitty, it’s not your day is it :)

Anyway back to Saundry..After this there’s some glimmer of hope, they seem on track for a Pro-Ride into the future.

 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12096773

 

Yeahh, that's just dumb. If it's being funded from the RDF, certainly can't be at Riccarton or Ellerslie or Trentham can it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Yeahh, that's just dumb. If it's being funded from the RDF, certainly can't be at Riccarton or Ellerslie or Trentham can it?

Correct, Awapuni has been nominally approved though, and the Waikato obviously.

It looks like Rangiora so it can be close to the main horse population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes sense...Manawatu, Waikato, Canterbury.....You'd think Cambridge, Awapuni? Rangiora if they use existing facilities but probably depends on whether the likes of Awapuni has adequate drainage for the installation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leggy, I understand a very strong case is being made to have the Central Districts track at Woodville. A number of prominent racing identities were seen in deep discussion at the track mid-week.

There are various very convincing reasons why Woodville is at the top of the list:

1) Murray Baker and Stephen Marsh are very keen to return to their original stomping grounds and even Bjorn Baker has indicated Woodville is his preferred N Z base. One other name that has been mentioned so far is Chris Waller. When asked asked about setting up a satellite stable at Woodville, he responded "I have strong connection to Woodville. I love the joint".

2) Hawkes Bay trainers John Bary and Guy Lowry believe it would give them a distinct advantage over the Awapuni based ones on the basis that they will no longer be required to give horses travel sickness tablets to counter the horrible Saddle Road.

3) The current facilities are first class. The climate is perfect. You only need three polar fleeces and a two pairs of grunds which is so much more appealing than Polarpuni.

You gotta admit it makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

As much as you are taking the piss it is probably one place where they could buy surrounding land and able to put in a 1600 straight track as real estate prices in Woodville aren't exactly sky high. 

 

Yet.....;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Encouraging to see some progress but I am concerned re lack of transparency and robust debate in process re consideration of track options, both in terms of track type (synthetic vs Strathayr etc) and location. As usual there is a lack of vision in the industry, and even less leadership.

No doubt only logical SI location is close to ChCh. Is it time to bowl Riccarton and build a state of art facility (i.e. Cranbourne or Pakenham with turf and synthetic tracks) slightly to the south of ChCh? Similarly is Awapuni best CD location? Again why not a modern facility somewhere on Kapiti coast which would potentially replace Trentham which is surely well past its use buy date practically and economically.

In my view this is the last chance for the local industry, there will be no more handouts. Get it wrong and the industry will be gone within 10 - 15 years. I understand local coal crop now only about 3000 and falling so replacement racing stock will be a serious issue within 5 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RDF funds can clearly not be used for any developments in Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch, so if they build one at Riccarton, they'll have to fund it themselves which would seem a bit silly if they can have one RDF funded at Rangiora say Michael.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Dunedin CITY council can get funds from the RDF for the waterfront project then almost any place qualifies ,  Christchurch hasn't got a problem , the precedent has been set  .

Regional Economic Development Minister Shane Jones this afternoon announced $820,000 of funding to allow the Dunedin City Council to complete a feasibility study and business case for the project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fitzy said:

Encouraging to see some progress but I am concerned re lack of transparency and robust debate in process re consideration of track options, both in terms of track type (synthetic vs Strathayr etc) and location. As usual there is a lack of vision in the industry, and even less leadership.

No doubt only logical SI location is close to ChCh. Is it time to bowl Riccarton and build a state of art facility (i.e. Cranbourne or Pakenham with turf and synthetic tracks) slightly to the south of ChCh? Similarly is Awapuni best CD location? Again why not a modern facility somewhere on Kapiti coast which would potentially replace Trentham which is surely well past its use buy date practically and economically.

In my view this is the last chance for the local industry, there will be no more handouts. Get it wrong and the industry will be gone within 10 - 15 years. I understand local coal crop now only about 3000 and falling so replacement racing stock will be a serious issue within 5 years. 

For Petes sake this thing has been kicked around for years  there is not time to duff around. Safety and welfare of jockeys and horses is paramopunt. The current bad tracks are bloody dangerous and too many horses are lost to injury.

Its taken years to trial Safety shoes and still they haven't got the green light from NZTR despite trainers pleas. Just give the horse and JOCKEY a chance to run without fear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tripple alliance said:

If Dunedin CITY council can get funds from the RDF for the waterfront project then almost any place qualifies ,  Christchurch hasn't got a problem , the precedent has been set  .

Regional Economic Development Minister Shane Jones this afternoon announced $820,000 of funding to allow the Dunedin City Council to complete a feasibility study and business case for the project.

All provinces are eligible for
funding (outside the three
main cities).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Diceman Cometh said:

Leggy, I understand a very strong case is being made to have the Central Districts track at Woodville. A number of prominent racing identities were seen in deep discussion at the track mid-week.

There are various very convincing reasons why Woodville is at the top of the list:

1) Murray Baker and Stephen Marsh are very keen to return to their original stomping grounds and even Bjorn Baker has indicated Woodville is his preferred N Z base. One other name that has been mentioned so far is Chris Waller. When asked asked about setting up a satellite stable at Woodville, he responded "I have strong connection to Woodville. I love the joint".

2) Hawkes Bay trainers John Bary and Guy Lowry believe it would give them a distinct advantage over the Awapuni based ones on the basis that they will no longer be required to give horses travel sickness tablets to counter the horrible Saddle Road.

3) The current facilities are first class. The climate is perfect. You only need three polar fleeces and a two pairs of grunds which is so much more appealing than Polarpuni.

You gotta admit it makes sense.

You should be a writer - great post 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Diceman Cometh said:

Leggy, I understand a very strong case is being made to have the Central Districts track at Woodville. A number of prominent racing identities were seen in deep discussion at the track mid-week.

There are various very convincing reasons why Woodville is at the top of the list:

1) Murray Baker and Stephen Marsh are very keen to return to their original stomping grounds and even Bjorn Baker has indicated Woodville is his preferred N Z base. One other name that has been mentioned so far is Chris Waller. When asked asked about setting up a satellite stable at Woodville, he responded "I have strong connection to Woodville. I love the joint".

2) Hawkes Bay trainers John Bary and Guy Lowry believe it would give them a distinct advantage over the Awapuni based ones on the basis that they will no longer be required to give horses travel sickness tablets to counter the horrible Saddle Road.

3) The current facilities are first class. The climate is perfect. You only need three polar fleeces and a two pairs of grunds which is so much more appealing than Polarpuni.

You gotta admit it makes sense.

What about Foxton? Admittedly, it doesn't have a grandstand, a commentators box or a winning post, but aside from that it's proximal to the horse population, you only need one pair of grunds and it doesn't matter if you have holes in your Wellys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just of note who will benefit from the all weather tracks,  eg the poly type, only the ones that train on it as they will always have the advantage over horses from other areas. Why do  all weather track work overseas is quite simple as  the horses train on them and trial on them on a regular basis. So all horses wont adapt going from a turf to poly unless given the necessary experience where as a strathayr  track would provide equal opportunity to all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Does Saundry's daughter who has some connections with AWT's work now with her father...is that not a conflict???

You sure ? That’s bizarre if it’s true.

I note the article says she plays for the Greater Western Sydney Giants but other official articles say that’s not the case, and that she has in fact been delisted by that club.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nerula said:

Its taken years to trial Safety shoes and still they haven't got the green light from NZTR despite trainers pleas. Just give the horse and JOCKEY a chance to run without fear.

Nerula you are so right re: Kerckhaert Safety Tracks ES Plates. We have put our submission in trying to get these shoes approved! Submissions close on the 31/7 so anyone else who would like to see these approved get your submission into NZTR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

You sure ? That’s bizarre if it’s true.

I note the article says she plays for the Greater Western Sydney Giants but other official articles say that’s not the case, and that she has in fact been delisted by that club.

 

I got told that today,I will look into it further and let you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex Saundry

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
 
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Alex Saundry
Personal information
Date of birth 8 July 1992 (age 26)
Original team(s) Melbourne University (VFL Womens)
Debut Round 1, 2017, Greater Western Sydney
vs. Adelaide, at Thebarton Oval
Height 167 cm (5 ft 6 in)
Position(s) Defender
Playing career1
Years Club Games (Goals)
2017–2018 Greater Western Sydney 4 (0)
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of the 2018 season.
Source: AustralianFootball.com

Alex Saundry (born 8 July 1992) is an Australian rules footballer who played for the Greater Western Sydney Giants in the AFL Women's competition. Saundry was recruited by Greater Western Sydney as a free agent in October 2016.[1] She made her debut in the thirty-six point loss to Adelaide at Thebarton Oval in the opening round of the 2017 season.[2] She played four matches in her debut season.[3]She was delisted by Greater Western Sydney at the end of the 2018 season.[4]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this