RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
CBT

How many club games of sport attract a crowd of over 100,000??.....

That’s the crowd they are expecting at the MCG on Saturday for the AFL top of the table clash between Richmond and Collingwood. 

The Melbourne Cup and Derby Day are the two that have attracted more than 100,000.

The State of Origin match this year attracted a crowd of nearly 90,000 to a sport that barely gets a mention in Victoria.

Melburnians love their sport! 

Go the Tiges!! B)

Reading about the above reminded me of a story from 25 years ago.

Went to Canberra in 1993 to visit my sister and from there went to Melbourne. Told her we were going to the MCG on ANZAC day to watch the game between Collingwood and Essendon. Apparently thats a "grudge match" every year and she said whatever you do watch out for what you say about who you're supporting.

Well just sat down in our seats (in the old Olympic stand which isnt there anymore) and the guy in front of us turned around and said "so who are you supporting" in a gnarly voice.

My first thought was "oh f...".. So I said "oh we're just from New Zealand and coming to watch our first AFL game" so he turned around again... phew.!!!

I cant actually remember who won, but do remember that 1 side was getting a hiding so much so that their supporters were leaving the game early.... and the supporters from the winning team were absolutely giving it to the leaving supporters.

For that first visit to the MCG/AFL, there were ONLY 83,000 people there then.... what an occasion and atmosphere.

Would love to get over for a Grand Final one day... maybe when Collingwood and Essendon get to contest one.!!!

2 hours ago, Catalano said:

CBT, being an Eagles fan, it would be remiss of me not to correct you when you say 'top of the table' - I believe this is 1st v 3rd :)

Indeed Catalano. You’re right. I was more referring to Richmond when I said that. 

Bad luck for Nic Nat. He’s such an amazing player to watch and is a huge loss for the game as a whole. 

AFL! I arrived in Melb in 1972 and was asked by a few Oz acquaintance’s, “What team do you follow?”. The All Blacks was my reply. After a toweling I was told that whilst living in Melb, one had to follow AFL. I was astounded when they explained the scoring. You could even score a point (called a “behind”) for missing! It’s the only ball sport in the world that rewards missed goal kicks! How many points would Foxy or Carter have scored if they got a point for every miss? :) anyway, North Melbourne (Shinboners or Kanga’s) was my chosen team because they were on the bottom. We won 2 premierships within 6 years and I was hooked! It’s the big contact sport in Oz and the most attended Football game of the 4 codes. Sadly Ponderosa, you’ll have to live a long life to see Collingwood play in a Grand Final. They are known as the “Manila Folders” - come September (finals time) Collingwood players go to a Phillipines Resort to watch the Final on TV!! :) 

16 hours ago, CBT said:

Bad luck for Nic Nat.

Two knee reconstructions... don't think he's coming back after that. But his absence didn't seem to matter too much last weekend :)

You wouldn't happen to know where I can watch a game in NZ? I know Duke shows a game a week, although when I wanted to watch the Eagles play the 2nd placed team a few months back, their 'match of the day' was 14 v 16 :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Catalano said:

Two knee reconstructions... don't think he's coming back after that. But his absence didn't seem to matter too much last weekend :)

You wouldn't happen to know where I can watch a game in NZ? I know Duke shows a game a week, although when I wanted to watch the Eagles play the 2nd placed team a few months back, their 'match of the day' was 14 v 16 :rolleyes:

I wouldn’t have a clue sorry mate. I moved to Melbourne 10 years ago and before I moved here I didn’t follow AFL.