RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Fartoomuch

Bad boy Bronson

A promising harness racing driver with previous form for abuse has pled guilty to misconduct after abusing two female drivers.

Bronson Munro was banned from rugby for 46 weeks in 2016 over a racial insult towards a Fijian rugby player in a high-level Canterbury country game.

He found himself again in strife over an incident at a junior drivers' event at Forbury Park, Dunedin, on June 15.

Munro was charged with misconduct for using foul language against Charlotte Purvis and Sheree Tomlinson during and after Race 8, in which he believed his horse should have been given the lead by the female drivers.

Purvis and Tomlinson provided statements, but did not make a complaint. Munro was charged on Friday night and pleaded guilty. Munro is expected to be sentenced at a Judicial Control Authority hearing next week.

The Forbury Park incident is the second such case looked at by stewards in the past six weeks. A male driver was warned after a Nelson race meeting in which he allegedly abused two female drivers.

Stewards followed up, but the two female drivers declined to confirm the abuse or make a statement. 

In Munro's case, he challenged Purvis for the front up to about 650m from the finish but ended second to last. His horse would have paid $32 if it had won. Tomlinson was driving Grace Burns which was unplaced and Purvis drove the eventual third-placed Miss Fandango ($4.70).

The foul language was used on the track and in an argument as the drivers were heading out of the bird cage. Race stewards overheard the abuse and opened an inquiry, later reporting to the Racing Integrity Unit.

An experienced trainer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said "the culture in harness racing with guys abusing girls is terrible".

Munro was a talented sportsman and promising driver but the abusive culture in racing needed to be highlighted and cleaned up, he said.

He claimed the governing body Harness Racing New Zealand had done little to address the problem.

The trainer had viewed the race which led to the incident and believed Purvis and Tomlinson had done nothing wrong.

The penalty will be interesting but im sure his early guilty pleas will assist his cause. The guy obviously needs help nonetheless

7 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Not a good look but even worse on another racing forum some are blaming the journo for writing this story. How wrong are they as its a newspaper article which covers the facts of a nasty incident

Definitely not a good look.

Appears Mr Munro has anger-management issues with a  past racist rant and now a misogynist rant. Frankly, I have doubts about him working with animals if he has little self-control and temper issues. What could happen if a horse upsets him? I believe he is likely to lash out and ill-treat the animal. The industry does not need hot-headed individuals like this. A lengthy ban is in order with a compulsory anger management course included.

1 hour ago, Beach Racing said:

What a Prejudiced profiling comment that is! The love for horses and a competitive nature is I'm sure what got him into the game and keeps him in it. To assume he will lash out at a horse is utter garbage from you Janitor. Pull your head in!

Do you not think that he is entitled to his opinion on this matter.BM is now a repeat offender who has pleaded guilty. I hope he seeks and receives help from whoever is best placed to give it to him. The publicity on this matter does not show the sport in a favorable light which is bad for all participants.

I do not know what all the fuss is about.

Have you never abused anyone when driving a car when they cut in front of you on the road? Of course you have and when you are in a competitive race of any kind, your emotions are hard to control. Look at car racing,motorbike racing and I even seen an assault in the bike race the other day.

He is entitled to his opinion, but make it a balanced opinion and when you do make an opinion make it on a  worthwhile subject.

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

Hey Newmarket, whoever you are your namesake from the cesspit thinks you are me... what a joke... he just cant handle the fact we actually have real people join our site as it is a good site, with good and decent people posting here...:D

As far as a few of the nuttters are concerned we are probably responsible for Global Warming and all the other evils in the world even though we don't even know each other. I even have them stalking me on my Facebook page and sending not so nice messages on Messenger. Says it all about them really and im sure many that post on the site would not see that as acceptable behavior.

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

Hey Newmarket, whoever you are your namesake from the cesspit thinks you are me... what a joke... he just cant handle the fact we actually have real people join our site as it is a good site, with good and decent people posting here...:D

Well Newmarket knows he is not Scoobie3051 so who really cares. Nothing wrong with dual posters as Leggy and a few others would say or is there????.

22 hours ago, Beach Racing said:

What a Prejudiced profiling comment that is! The love for horses and a competitive nature is I'm sure what got him into the game and keeps him in it. To assume he will lash out at a horse is utter garbage from you Janitor. Pull your head in!

Prejudiced profiling? What does that mean? 

My comments were not prejudiced as I was stating facts.

Fact one: Mr Munro was banned from rugby for 46 weeks for a "racial insult" to a Fijian player during a rugby match. 

Fact two: Mr Munro abused two female drivers during and after a race at Forbury Park. He has pleaded guilty to the offence.

You may think that Mr Munro's racist and misogynist rants are OK but I do not. His behaviour in both incidents is indefensible and wrong. Now we have a further claim from Taku Umanga (see above) that after the incident on the track they were "driving horses into each other". If this is true, using horses as a weapon is abuse of the animal so my fears are correct.

Having a "competitive nature" does not give one the right to racially abuse people or insult women. I suggest you head back to the beach, dig a hole and stick your head into it where it belongs. 

"What could happen if a horseupsets him? I believe he is likely to lash out and ill-treat the animal." 

This is the only comment I was referring to, suggest you read again if you can't understand that!

Not once did I say his rants were ok, again have another read! 

Never said the last part either, can you read at all? I do wonder.

Seeing as you like facts and English lessons, here is how your comment I was referring to is what I said it was.

Profiling  = The use of personal characteristics or behavior patterns to make generalizations about a person,

Prejudiced = Preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.   Did you see or know that Bronson has lashed out and Ill-treated a horse??? 

Just because I abuse another driver for cutting me off does not mean I am going lash out at him!

Bronson has made some poor choices, but as you rightfully said Taku, referring to "They" and "Both sides" Is saying he wasn't the only one carrying on like an idiot. An all round poor performance from two - three of our best Junior Drivers. But let's not forget, that's exactly what they are! Not everyone is perfect and they are still learning their craft. Do you think they will learn from this? $1.01 they will. Why? Because they love the industry, the people in it and most of all the horses! If you don't believe that then just read the profiles of our Jnr Drivers from the champs and see what drives them, who their mentors are etc!

Now do as a Janitor does, mop up the dribble and keep things clean! 

8 hours ago, Big ears said:

Oh why don't you post a copy of said abuse on your Facebook on here so we can see

Nice try old son. why would i bother giving you and then further oxygen. I choose to post here cos i want to and i like this site. i call it loyalty, why do you post on here Big Ears

On 8/30/2018 at 2:39 PM, drove a few said:

$500 what a joke, should have been suspended as well.

I think the reason for the penalty is summed up here

" 3. The Committee’s approach to this in the absence of any assistance from the Penalty Guidelines is that the starting point fine for medium to high level misconduct involving the abuse of other drivers during a race and afterwards is a fine of $750. There will be no uplift for the gender of the victims. To his credit, Mr Munro is entitled to a discount for his immediate admission of the breach, his donation to charity and otherwise for his insight and remorse"

Does appear to be a weak guideline nonetheless