RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

Good Luck Tom Wood

KIWI CALLER HONG KONG BOUND

Hong Kong-bound commentator Tom Wood - Race Images

New Zealand race caller Tom Wood has been called up to the big leagues and will join Hong Kong’s broadcast team in the new season.

Currently Singapore Turf Club’s number one race caller, Wood has spent the last 18 months in the South East Asian racing jurisdiction, taking over his current role from Australian race caller Matt Jones earlier this year.

“I was the number two here for the first 13 or 14 months behind Matt Jones and when he decided to go back to Victoria and go farming I was in a fortunate spot to be put into the number one role here,” Wood said.

“This year I have ticked off a few good races like the (Singapore) Derby last weekend and then before that the Kranji Mile meeting. 

“But he gave me a whole stack of opportunities when I was number two to him. He really believed in giving the person under him something to want to stick around for and keep them interested.

“I was fortunate, as he was number two for about five and a-half years when Craig Evans was here, so he had to wait a while and I didn’t have to wait too long.”

Wood believes his time in Singapore helped his cause in attaining the race calling position with the Hong Kong Jockey Club.

“It was just the right place at the right time and knowing the right people,” he said. “Being here in Asia helps your chances of getting a position like that because previous callers have come through Singapore to go to Hong Kong, like Brett Davis who is there now.”

Wood is looking forward to moving to Hong Kong with his wife Stacey and the challenges his new job will present.

“I’m looking forward to being part of a quality broadcasting team up there with quality racing,” he said.

“Not many people know that the angle at Happy Valley is a real challenge. The commentary box at Happy Valley you are about 30 to 40m before the finish line, so it’s going to be a bit of an adjustment to try and get around and everything happens at Happy Valley so quickly. 

“So that will be something I am really looking forward to, calling at an iconic track like that.

“I don’t think there has been any other Kiwi race callers up there, but I have had plenty of advice from Darren Flindell and David Raphael, they have all been good to talk to.” 

Wood hopes to make a fleeting visit home to visit family in New Zealand before venturing north next month if all goes according to plan.

“It’s been a bit of a work in progress over a few months, but we finally got it across the line,” he said.

“I am still negotiating with the Hong Kong Jockey Club regarding my start date, but I hope to be there by the start of the new season and possibly make it home for a few days before heading up there.” – NZ Racing Desk.

Another shame on NZ letting Tom go, someone pushing their own agenda surely as not only a great home grown talent [no disrespect to Macca as he's the best in NZ] but a beaut genuine bloke.......once the clean out is complete, maybe someone with sense will make Tom an offer, something he can't refuse.

5 hours ago, poundforpound said:

That’s amazing news, and well done Tom Wood.

You sure are a home grown lad who did well Tom.

I wonder what the NZRB crew who decided you were surplus to requirements in NZ are saying now......you know they won’t ever take responsibility though because their agenda seems to be to keep racing people, or should I say people who are a part of the working racing community, out of the media !!!

He certainly got dealt a bad hand here. NZRB Involved so nothing new.

I can’t see him returning to call Races in NZ when he’s got Hong Kong! Surely he’s so young that he could get an even bigger reputation whilst in Hong Kong and then move into a possible vacant spot in Melbourne or Sydney in 10 years time. It would beat calling a H11 in the middle of winter in NZ :( just ask Paul Shailer how he’s doing living in the sunshine on the Gold Coast :) he’s had 60 winners this season and his horses have won $6.5MILLION in prize money! Waller will love him and really supports him. They were the standout Stable at this year’s Brisbane “winter” carnival. I think young Woodsie’s nxt stop just might be a nice gig in OZ. You can feel very proud Chris.

Congratulations Tom.

You have never looked back since first appearing in the upper echelons at Addington Raceway.

Your new appointment is richly deserved.

Go well, young man, and Stacey.

4 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Almost certainly the same bloke who thought T. Lee wasn’t up to scratch and wasn’t worth another chance.

It is a fair and valid criticism of the NZRB to suggest that they just “don’t get racing” and hence make these weird decisions, but as long as the racing industry has no representation at the NZRB / Trackside management level what can you expect ?

I guess the NZRB contrasting view would be that their business is all about gambling, and racing is fading into oblivion so it doesn’t warrant special consideration. Probably something for Whiskey and his mates to have a look at.

I would suggest that NZRB did Tom a big favour, such immense talent would be wasted here.

What would Tom be on if he’d stayed here....no where near what he will be earning now, doing something he loves.

Well done that man.

ps concur with you poundforpound , the crowd in control of NZRB came from that other sunset industry, NZ Post.