RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
POPA GAS

News from Wanganui

Not mine.I think  we now have races on Wednesday, trials Thursday, races on Friday, so if you would like to trial you can only do it once a week at that track. you can trial race day but if you are break-ing in pups it is not a good idea. 

While I'm on it if you would like to go to the races on a Friday night you will have to book as they book out all the tables. They had 2 tables for Greyhound people.   There is over 100 members but no room. Now this would be good if they gave something back to the member's who helped to build the stand. This year we didn't have a BBQ.

EX Board member Bev,

So after Wednesday races that finish in the evening and Friday races there's day times trails on Thursday???? When will the track get done????? I'll be shifting marks bed done there.

I assume members were canvassed before the change was ratified?
I assume staff were consulted before the change was ratified as their schedule would have to be adjusted to allow for the change?
I assume switching from Sunday to Thursday allows for full staffing of trials as Thursday is a normal workday, removing the need for Sunday fill-ins?
I assume from the 1st of August there will no longer be trials after the last race on racedays?
I assume that the club will monitor the changes and make adjustments where necessary?
I like the idea of having Saturdays and Sundays off. :)

Yes, Friday nights at Hatrick are terrible for trainers/owners that want to sit. "The booking system..." Trainers and Owners should get first preference to the tables and chairs as it is them putting on the show. Whether they have booked or not.  I used to watch our elderly trainers, and some owners, sit outside in the cold as the tables were already booked out. The ratshit thing with this, is that majority of those who reserved spaces, didn't turn up until later in the night. The tables could and should have been utilized. 

Generating public interest is great, it brings $ to the table but when we start looking at the money rather than our participants, and treat participants as "visitors", we are F'D! I can't believe we are moving backwards, rather than forwards. 

If this is how it is, priorities need to be checked. 

7 hours ago, Zero Tolerance said:

Remember folks if you are members of Wanganui you can call a meeting and put your concerns to to the board. If you choose to leave it you have nothing to complain about your decision 

I've been out of the game for a few years now, regularly visit but then get put off because of this... We tried many times to be heard back then and I bet they are still trying now. The board wont listen ZT, they never do. Anything for on course turnover. Look at whats happening atm. Cover up after cover up, whether that be The Board, JCA, RIU (neither here nor there, but my point stands).

Another question is, can we trust the board? They have supplied us with so much doubt in the past. 

22 hours ago, Zero Tolerance said:

I understand how you feel but members can be assertive they can demand they can change a board if they so wish. You only need a leader 

Exactly! 
None of us were present when the discussions were had in regard to the proposed trial day change, so unless you have made the effort to speak directly to the Wanganui board any talk here is unproductive. At this stage, the change is still under discussion. The board wishes to trial a new system, at this stage, the change of day will be a trial. We are part of a million dollar industry, that comes with modern-day obligations and expectations. Health and safety is a biggie, then you have animal welfare regulations, service liability, employment contract obligations, legal liability, etc, etc. Under the present various laws and codes, the board must ask the relevant questions, do we comply? What was acceptable in the past has no bearing on how clubs must operate today. Change is always opposed by some, Manawatu is a prime example. Today Manawatu is a very successful club, financially sound with a proactive board. As I said previously, I would like to see the change trialed. I like the idea of running trials under race day conditions, fully staffed, with an on-site vet. That is not what we have on a Sunday. I like the idea of having Sunday off as I work 7 days a week with my dogs. Having Sundays off would allow downtime to spend with family and friends. I took the time to ask the questions. Some will be inconvenienced but is that a good enough reason to ignore legal and moral obligations? Just my thoughts.

15 minutes ago, Emotive said:

Exactly! 
None of us were present when the discussions were had in regard to the proposed trial day change, so unless you have made the effort to speak directly to the Wanganui board any talk here is unproductive. At this stage, the change is still under discussion. The board wishes to trial a new system, at this stage, the change of day will be a trial. We are part of a million dollar industry, that comes with modern-day obligations and expectations. Health and safety is a biggie, then you have animal welfare regulations, service liability, employment contract obligations, legal liability, etc, etc. Under the present various laws and codes, the board must ask the relevant questions, do we comply? What was acceptable in the past has no bearing on how clubs must operate today. Change is always opposed by some, Manawatu is a prime example. Today Manawatu is a very successful club, financially sound with a proactive board. As I said previously, I would like to see the change trialed. I like the idea of running trials under race day conditions, fully staffed, with an on-site vet. That is not what we have on a Sunday. I like the idea of having Sunday off as I work 7 days a week with my dogs. Having Sundays off would allow downtime to spend with family and friends. I took the time to ask the questions. Some will be inconvenienced but is that a good enough reason to ignore legal and moral obligations? Just my thoughts.

Yes you work 7 days a week what about the people  who work full time and can only trail and break dogs in on a sunday and a Friday 

17 minutes ago, Joe blogs said:

Yes you work 7 days a week what about the people  who work full time and can only trail and break dogs in on a sunday and a Friday 

"Some will be inconvenienced but is that a good enough reason to ignore legal and moral obligations? Just my thoughts." I understand the difficulties. Do you?

On 7/14/2018 at 9:58 AM, Emotive said:

Exactly! 

What legal obligations Auckland race on sundays health and safety is relevant everyday of the week. Vets have 24 hr on call all services. Or are you going to have a vet actually on course whilst having the trials. If so that’s a added expense. It doesn’t bother me what day you have trials I don’t train. It seems to me that clubs are forgetting why they are there.to help participants of the sport not hinder them. Tell what moral obligations are not being met. Manawatu was always going to be successful once the all weather track was put in and certain members of the Nzgra were replaced that was a given

Zero. We live in a highly regulated world, compliance is now a legal obligation for all organisations. The club is a facilitator, a contractor, a service provider, an entertainer, and an employer. Each activity that the club is involved in is regulated by various legislation from more than one Act. The world as many knew it is gone, greyhound racing is now a professional sport. Do you have an issue with a more professional approach to what exists presently? Trials run to race day standard, fully qualified staff, track groomed every half hour, full communications system, vet on site,  manager on site to immediately address problems that may arise. Why would anyone wish to reduce the proposed standards? Joe talks about working fulltime, that's a choice just like it is for me to concentrate totally on training. The club has legal and moral responsibilities, the first is to dog welfare, and I as a club member I expect my club to operate to the highest possible standards.

8 minutes ago, Emotive said:

Zero. We live in a highly regulated world, compliance is now a legal obligation for all organisations. The club is a facilitator, a contractor, a service provider, an entertainer, and an employer. Each activity that the club is involved in is regulated by various legislation from more than one Act. The world as many knew it is gone, greyhound racing is now a professional sport. Do you have an issue with a more professional approach to what exists presently? Trials run to race day standard, fully qualified staff, track groomed every half hour, full communications system, vet on site,  manager on site to immediately address problems that may arise. Why would anyone wish to reduce the proposed standards? Joe talks about working fulltime, that's a choice just like it is for me to concentrate totally on training. The club has legal and moral responsibilities, the first is to dog welfare, and I as a club member I expect my club to operate to the highest possible standards.

So wanganui is going to have a vet on course for the Thursday trial meeting - well done, can’t see a negative in that.

Hopefully all race day trials will still continue so all needs are met.  I can see however the issue with all 3 trial options being 3 days in a row, those that don’t have their own tracks to build fitness may use the trials as fitness runs, are probably down to one run a week unless they wish to trial twice in a 3 day period?

2 hours ago, Emotive said:

I embrace professionalism with open arms I just can’t condone spin doctoring. As far as I’m aware your staff are on salary so there isn’t a issue there. Contractual issues don’t come into on a Sunday as you are catering for the participants as the rules require. Health and safety is a everyday event or should be. You are right you are a service provider first off to the participants they are the ones keeping racing going. Surely you could have called a special meeting and involved the members they are entitled to be treated fairly. I’m sure there would be a lot more respect shown to your board. Me I applaud you for taking on new initiatives I’m just voicing a opinion 

7 hours ago, Betting man said:

So wanganui is going to have a vet on course for the Thursday trial meeting - well done, can’t see a negative in that.

Hopefully all race day trials will still continue so all needs are met.  I can see however the issue with all 3 trial options being 3 days in a row, those that don’t have their own tracks to build fitness may use the trials as fitness runs, are probably down to one run a week unless they wish to trial twice in a 3 day period?

As previously stated I understand the difficulties that some may face. However, trials in the CD would be run every weekday, Monday-Tuesday at Manawatu, Wednesday-Thursday-Friday at Wanganui. Presently Sunday trials are a bit of a lottery with break-ins and race dogs being mixed. Puppy lures being taken on and off the lure as each dog presents. I would say with some certainty that a vet would not be available for Sunday trials, nor are electricians needed in the case of electrical failure. There is one more point I would like to add, and that pertains to being a good employer. I would like to see all track staff given two consecutive days off which would allow each to properly rest at the end of their working week. Working at the track can be very stressful, research has proven that insufficient rest coupled with anxiety/stress can cause mistakes and accidents as well as fostering disharmony. Working from 8 am till after 10 pm on a Friday night does not make Jack a happy boy, especially when they are back at work on Sunday. It's all good and well to say I demand this and that, but the issues are far more complicated than I work all week, what about me.

9 hours ago, Joe blogs said:

So you dont want any work done on the wanganui track from 10 pm until what 8am monday

your joking the track needs work on it 7days a week not 5 days a week

Did I say that?
Is Wanganui worked 7 days a week now?
Is any track in New Zealand worked 7 days a week?

15 hours ago, Zero Tolerance said:

I embrace professionalism with open arms I just can’t condone spin doctoring. As far as I’m aware your staff are on salary so there isn’t a issue there. Contractual issues don’t come into on a Sunday as you are catering for the participants as the rules require. Health and safety is a everyday event or should be. You are right you are a service provider first off to the participants they are the ones keeping racing going. Surely you could have called a special meeting and involved the members they are entitled to be treated fairly. I’m sure there would be a lot more respect shown to your board. Me I applaud you for taking on new initiatives I’m just voicing a opinion 

The club's first obligation is to the legally binding contracts it holds with the NZRB, the GRNZ, the TAB, and any legislation that applies. The next is providing the safest possible racing surface for trials and race meetings. If there is room to accommodate other needs then they should. Clubs signed away most of their rights giving the GRNZ control. Members pay a pittance to belong to the club. The membership fee was $20 and for most that was their total contribution to the club. For the price of 4 takeaway lattes, they get half price trials and a vote. If trials were not half price, most wouldn't part with the twenty bucks. No one puts their hand up to take on board responsibilities but jump up and down when they don't get their way, or things go wrong. We have a million dollar grandstand, personally, I would have preferred a state of the art track. 

Emotive (mauro Barsi)

mauro you talk a lot of sense but you sound like you are standing up in front of one of the employers meetings at the wellington employers meeting.

How are you enjoying your new role as CEO NZGRA?

10 minutes ago, yorky said:

Emotive (mauro Barsi)

mauro you talk a lot of sense but you sound like you are standing up in front of one of the employers meetings at the wellington employers meeting.

How are you enjoying your new role as CEO NZGRA?

Thanks mate, that just made my day! I wish, there would be a heck of a lot of changes if I were. ;)