RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Kiwi story on TV1 July 8...

Jochen Rindt finishes third in the Cup race. two of Terry Wenn's horses were used and you will spot Terry as the Clerk Of the Course. Brendon Hutton plays Jimmy Cassidy and most of you will recognize some of the barrier boys.

Because of retakes etc three different horses were used to represent Kiwi.

Looking forward to watching it tonight on TV1 at 8:30pm  

Yeah nah...maybe not perfect ...agree with Shane, shooting scene to kick off with , not a good look.

BUT at least viewing options on TV are improving. Beats Coro and Shortland Street.

Some of you will be waiting with baited breathe for next weeks Doco...LOL  

Not a bad effort. I wish they had used the actual NZ courses. Cant ever recall an owner calling a maiden by its sponsors name!! The two actors who played Moseley and Cassidy nailed their roles. Writers needed assistance because no matter how cheeky Cassidy could be I couldnt ever imagine him swearing at Snow Lupton.

Would have been great to see more of Shorty Hare and his antics!!!

A shame they couldnt get more at Ellerslie to replicate Flemington on Cup day. Someone mentioned it was probably shot at the Derby meeting in March :) 

Pin pricking, yes, I know.

But did you notice that in the credits no acknowledgment was made to the Wanganui Jockey Club nor the Auckland Racing Club, but there was an acknowledgment to the caterers.

A few years ago saw a Kath & Kim piece filmed at Moonee Valley.  They acknowledged, and I am not joking, the Mooney Valley Racing Club!!!  And they are Australians?

I reckon the New Zealand on Air bean counters would have been astonished at the costs involved in filming this programme.  To cut costs they used Ellerslie rather than Flemington.  It is tough doing a film involving racehorses.  It is because they are so very unpredictable that we like them so much.

The actress who played Mrs Lupton was very good. 

Enjoyed it.....gotta remember it wasn't a Hollywood budget !

And it was early 80's....a farm horse from a small country town going on to win the Melbourne Cup.

5 years day to day drama /farm life put into 80 minutes !

Not as historical as Phar Lap or National Velvet but kinda similar !.....or Richie McCaw or Billie Elliot !

Well done on a low budget !!!

When I first saw this advertised I was really looking forward to it, but I was a bit disappointed with it in the end. It was ok and nothing more. Great to see a racing related show on prime time telly but maybe I got my hopes up a bit too much. 

36 minutes ago, Peter R S said:

Back to the topic - enjoyed it, thought they captured the late 70's early 80's very well, brought back memories for me of being at Hawera one October (1981?) when Kiwi won a 3yo mile (if my memory is correct that is).

October 3rd Class 4 mile

2 minutes ago, Peter R S said:

Nice - I do remember Jimmy got beaten on hot favourite Commissionaire in a (R65 it would be now) 1400 that day

Loved that horse I do remember putting my life savings for a place on him as a school kid $100 as he was so consistent  anyway he was hit over the head by another jockey and just missed a place  inquiry followed but was not upheld  still have not let that loss go :)

On ‎9‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 9:48 AM, THE TORCH said:

Not a bad effort. I wish they had used the actual NZ courses. Cant ever recall an owner calling a maiden by its sponsors name!! The two actors who played Moseley and Cassidy nailed their roles. Writers needed assistance because no matter how cheeky Cassidy could be I couldnt ever imagine him swearing at Snow Lupton.

Would have been great to see more of Shorty Hare and his antics!!!

A shame they couldnt get more at Ellerslie to replicate Flemington on Cup day. Someone mentioned it was probably shot at the Derby meeting in March :) 

Ever seen Shorty hook into a freshly made Pizza??…….Melbourne still hasn't got over it..

9 hours ago, Memphis2 said:

I was at Whanganui when he won over a mile in 1982.Not sure what time of the year it was . Or was it 1983

Not sure whether you are referring to Kiwi or Commissionaire but neither won over 1600m at Wanganui.

Kiwi did win at Wanganui in September 1983 over 2000m with Noel Harris up and Commissionaire who had 65 starts never started at Wanganui .   

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, Peter R S said:

Nice - I do remember Jimmy got beaten on hot favourite Commissionaire in a (R65 it would be now) 1400 that day

Correct. Commissionaire was beaten a head by Precious Candy over 1400m.