RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bruce M

Don't See This These Days

Very different times I know but what a great old horse.Altogether he started from 100m or more twenty times and another twelve times off 90 or 95m.

This was his longest handicap of his sixteen wins.

His older sister Airdrie also routinely started from massive handicaps although she only won seven races.Once horses got to open company there was no relief and they started off long handicaps forever in Southland classes.

Thank goodness there's a lot more flexibilty in todays' handicapping.

About the same period the pacer Joy Boy's last five wins were off handicaps ranging from 50m to 90m (in a Hawera Cup)

105.PNG

11 minutes ago, Bruce M said:

Very different times I know but what a great old horse.Altogether he started from 100m or more twenty times and another twelve times off 90 or 95m.

Brother James a worthy adversary for Regal Flyer.

4 minutes ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Brother James a worthy adversary for Regal Flyer.

He was certainly a good trotter who ran some good races at Addington as well which the McIntyre pair could never do.

Believe it or not I just realised I had later a share in a horse which ran fourth in that race

Remember watching Mighty Forbes,trained by Ron Kerr, winning off 72 yards over a 2 mile go at Methven by 16 lengths.

A modest field that day of 22 runners with Able Adios, unplaced, starting off 84 yards.

1 hour ago, Fartoomuch said:

Im going to have a stab and say Renewed Hope would have been trained and driven by Maurice Skinner

The name Owen Cameon comes to mind as the trainer.

Cheers.

Robert.

On 7/3/2018 at 4:47 PM, Bruce M said:

His older sister Airdrie also routinely started from massive handicaps although she only won seven races.Once horses got to open company there was no relief and they started off long handicaps forever in Southland classes.

Thank goodness there's a lot more flexibilty in todays' handicapping.

About the same period the pacer Joy Boy's last five wins were off handicaps ranging from 50m to 90m (in a Hawera Cup)

105.PNG

Hi Bruce,

I remember a horse from down your way called Morven Lad, trained by  Alister Fenwick  and then Ken Robertson, winning from long marks in the 1960's.

Cheers.

Robert.

Alister and Bricky were from Dunedin. Alister trained at Tomahawk Beach and Bricky trained his horses at Ocean View by Brighton. Owen Cameron lives out Pukekohe way and coaches rugby in the Counties area. Dunback Lad would be one of Barney Tisdalls horses.