RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
pogo(aus)

great racecallers

Jack Styring, legend, John Tapp, legend, Wayne Wilson, legend, Geoff Mahoney, legend, never ever raised their voice, yet still evoked excitement personified ...IMO. Mark Mac the best I heard in NZ, trot man though, poor bugger, destined to define cheats on seats, only on loan to gallops, talent wasted, should be calling SKY AUS.

Who do we rate as NZ's best caller over the years? Hauby was great but had an annoying habit of calling the outside horse in front when it was still 3/4 length behind.

Peter Kelly, Tony Lee??

5 minutes ago, bus stop said:

Peter Kelly  could go through the whole field down the home straight and still come back to the leaders before they crossed the line.

Yes he was the caller i remember from when i was growing up...i think the best... T Lee close behind.

Sir Peter O'Sullivan was a legend and kept his cool calling his own horses home in big races back in the day.

John Cleese and his outside broadcast racing team also  did a great job once in the Queen Victoria Handicap , all runners wore same colours so was difficult job.

Tom Wood would cut the mustard anywhere  , doesn't go overboard but hits it just right I reckon.I am not a great fan of Tony Lee to be honest but each to his own  no one has to like everyone, I like Darren Flindell in Sydney a mate of mind cannot stand him.

1 hour ago, Red Rum said:

John Cleese and his outside broadcast racing team also  did a great job once in the Queen Victoria

John Cleese? The hotel guy from back in the day? Jeeze he's a talent alright.

Agree re: Tom Wood. Thought he never got the credit he deserved here, bit underrated. Almost like the racing board have their favorites. 

Reon, greg miles, mark mac and T Lee waaaaaaay too good for mine. Especially when T Lee does the waaaay too good at the end of a race. They were/are never 100% perfect all of the time, but like their dulcet tones, easy to listen to and paint an accurate picture of the race.

11 hours ago, La Zip said:

Before my time Zelda, before yours too I hope.......he never shouted either, maybe in the pub, not in the box.

unfortuneately n0?

i was there at randwick with boris when ken called captain moonlight the winnr at his last call

1972 0r 3 ?

austrailas champion, london two a brick on !

Dave Clarkson, the best at the trots, in my time.

Peter Kelly the best at the Gallops, in my time.

Greg Miles the best of the Australian callers of all time.

Tony Lee the best of the current lot   In NZ.

Daren Flindell the worst of the current lot in Australian.

Mark McNamara average, not bad, not good, nice guy though.

26 minutes ago, zelda kratchanova 2 said:

who was the kiwis caller that called the trots when inky boy and holy hal raced in the interom series ?

1968 0r 70

boris loved him :o

hmmm not so sure that those two raced in the same era zk.

Holy Hal raced in the 1971 Interdom series and the final at Addington.It was a memorable final when Junior's Image's trainer/driver landed many punts and a hefty suspension for caffeine after slipping the cutter at the 600m.

David Clarkson the caller and was famous for his " neck and neck, stride for stride -I won't name it" call up the straight. Compare that to Mark McNamara who'll have a nose decision down pat and sometimes correctly call a dead heat!