RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Timon

Fogarty Fegen

Winner of Race 10 at HB today - I could swear there was a horse of that name running around when I first got interested in racing back in the 70's. Nothing shows up on a search through NZ Racing website - anyone able to recall another of that name? 

The original Fogarty Fegen was a 1970 bay or brown colt by Sobig out of Fine Time. He raced for his breeder JJ Barry and was trained by Brian Deacon at Hawera. He was unplaced in one 2yo start. At 3 he won twice from eleven starts. Awapuni 22/12/73 ridden by Gary Phillips and Waverley 10/4/74 again ridden by Gary. At four he won four from twelve starts. Hawera 27/11/74. Wanganui 7/12/74. Woodville 8/1/75. Bruce Deacon the rider in all three. Wanganui 8/2/75 ridden by Noel Harris. Not sure of his career after that.

Thanks for Fogarty Fegen’s history

Fogarty Fegan was Irish and served in the Royal Navy and received a VC in WW2 even though his ship the Jervis Bay was blown up by the Germans but his heroic actions saved many other ships in a convoy

Some old documentaries pronounce the Fegen as Fagan ....and that’s how I recall the horse of the 70s being called

Hey Gub did they ever catch you cheating when you sat School Cert. Thanks for diagnosing us with alzheimers however.

I couldn't remember the horse even though I attended most of those meetings with a horse and could even raced against it. Also had worked for Brian Deacon during school holidays (sixties). Can though remember how it looked now you mention it.

The early Alexander Fieldes /Deacon / Harris association would explain the renaming  and chances are Scooby could have ridden in the eighties for the owner JJ Barry who had many top horses.