RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Blue

Memories

Doing renovations my son came across an old page from the Herald, Circa May '67 though no discernable date and ironically the racing page. I'd say the first day of the Te Rapa winter meeting. Anyways here's a memory or two. The Te Rapa TAB double was Michael & Mali Peter, pd 672 pounds 10s. On course double was Kumai andBombay @ 13 pounds 3s 6d. Otaki double Town Guard & Bostock, Poverty Bay Watchet & Odeon;  Amberley, Kalimera & Basilio; Winton, Cassbridge &Lovely Day. No shortage of race meetings. Can give a bit more detail if you want it. Alexandra Park, and I might well have been there as I missed very few meetings back then. Big race was won by Oakhampton by a head over Miles Gentry and Top Copy. Winning stake was 750 pounds. Governor Frost won the FFA.   

The main trot was won by Immortal in the hands of the late John Butcher followed by Mountain Pride with Scotleigh, beaten by a neck and a long neck third off 54 yard handicap.  Roydon Frost won the minor trot driven by Doug Mangos running the two miles in a tick over 4:21. We had to pay to get in in those days and it was reported the crowd at the trots was 8373, about 1000 down on the same night a year earlier. Did the rot begin way back then?? Gate takings were down by 293 pounds. Maybe I'm a morbid old bugger but I just love reliving those days. Still great brain food.

That Amberley meeting was the first meeting I attended in the South Island and the first time I had been in the South Island. Apart from getting used to the cold I remember standing next to Dave Clarkson on the public steps whilst he was doing the commentary. Also I think there were a couple of harness races on the card. Big crowd, no complaints about the facilities since there were none to speak of.

I'm pretty sure Mali Peter was  Michael (Staky) Marinovich's.

He was an owner  trainer .. big punter.

Used to have fish business.

Wouldn't be surprised if the 1st leg Michael was also his.

If you remember, he was the guy that brought Bob Skelton up from the South Island to ride at Pukekohe.

He swore Bob to silence & not say a word.

He punted his horse Persian Star, but it ran second.

But they won the next with a horse called Computer.

I remember I won a race for him at New Plymouth on a horse called Easter Joy.

He gave me a movie ticket for a sling.

Don't know if I used it or not.

1 hour ago, ngatimaru said:

What a horse Bostock was ?

Who remembers?

If you are RTH then from memory you rode a lot of winners for Frank Hill. Particularly I recall Brylee owned by my one time next door neighbour. Also a sharp two year old Condor trained by Frank and owned by my father.

Frank had a son at one time in partnership. Is that the same B Hill training on the Gold Coast.?

A little more info. Bostock was ridden by Kenny Aiken who also rode a lot for Jim Ingram at Avondale, second Rashid and third Laramie who went on to win a New Zealand Cup.

The hurdles at Gisborne was won by King Minos. What a good horse he was for Nick Grafas, followed home by Black Butt and Victory Prince, a couple more handy ones. The maiden race was won by Gay Cobbler from Johnny Cash - two other names that featured in following years, especially Johnny Cash for Jock Singers. Through a very dodgy piece of newsprint I could discern the maiden race on the second day at Gisborne included a mare Cabaruss I had a bit to do with. Hopeless on the flat but won 3 over fences for Peter Wilson including the Maramarua Hunt Cup but ran 2nd in the Northern, 2nd in the McGregor Grant and 2nd in the Wellington Steeples in the same season. Another in the maiden field was one Happy Union on his way to some prominence as a handicapper for Bill winder.

22 hours ago, slam dunk said:

If you are RTH then from memory you rode a lot of winners for Frank Hill. Particularly I recall Brylee owned by my one time next door neighbour. Also a sharp two year old Condor trained by Frank and owned by my father.

Frank had a son at one time in partnership. Is that the same B Hill training on the Gold Coast.?

Yes to both.

Bruce has quite a team on the Sunshine Coast & turns out winners frequently.

I won the Champagne Stakes for him on a horse called Our Shah.

When he left for Australia a bloke from Matamata got him??.  O'sulli.. truck..car.. van...something like that.

I think he won a couple with him also.

Cheers RT.

6 hours ago, Blue said:

When did you start riding over fences Ngati? was it 69/70?

I'm not really sure.

I only did it because the losing ride was  twice that of a flat ride.

And once you had 5 rides over fences you could ride in High weights which was a bonus.

My first ride over fences was at a Hellinsvalle picnic meeting.

It was an amateur jockey's race but there were not enough jockey's

so Trevor McKee asked if I would ride her.

Lady Leonora. I had schooled her before.

She ran 3rd.

you are Bang on there Chris.

Ran 2nd to me in The Avondale Cup, when it was a noteworthy race.

Ridden by Murray Long.( that will jog your memory)

Ian drove a campervan with the pictures of Johnny cash ,who he bred & Murray long on the back of it.

Johnny Cash was by Lord sasanof which I think he stood at stud.

9 minutes ago, ngatimaru said:

you are Bang on there Chris.

Ran 2nd to me in The Avondale Cup, when it was a noteworthy race.

Ridden by Murray Long.( that will jog your memory)

Ian drove a campervan with the pictures of Johnny cash ,who he bred & Murray long on the back of it.

Johnny Cash was by Lord sasanof which I think he stood at stud.

Yes Murray & Barry Long. Used to drink at the Central in Cambridge when it existed, along with Brian Smith, Roger Lang and his brothers, Keith Mauriri, Jack Winder and so many others.

See Murray in the Hamilton Workingmans Club when I pop in there, retired and loves his Bowls.

Ian Signal named a lot of his horses after Country and Western singers. 

His son Ray also enjoyed the Workers club, passed away about two years ago. He still has a daughter based at the Mount.

I often bump into Barry Long at the races. He can sometimes be found at Ngaruawahia Golf Club.
I used to go to Barry's place when he was training in Te Kowhai with my old man. Lucky Vagabond was one I remember.

The Signal family were long time family friends of my Dam line. Ian had daughters Mary Martin,  The Late Joy Robinson & Jan who was married to Neville Bradford connected to Glen Orchard Stud (now Bloomsbury).

3 hours ago, ngatimaru said:

Yes to both.

Bruce has quite a team on the Sunshine Coast & turns out winners frequently.

I won the Champagne Stakes for him on a horse called Our Shah.

When he left for Australia a bloke from Matamata got him??.  O'sulli.. truck..car.. van...something like that.

I think he won a couple with him also.

Cheers RT.

He trains on the Gold Coast. The Sunshine Coast ( Caloundra) is 160klm (roughly) further north of the Goldie by road.