RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bruce M

John Dunn

We all know that if a trainer has a runner in a race then they can't drive any other horse in that race.In most cases it's a perfectly understandable rule.For that reason most of our top drivers aren't trainers.....Orange,Dexter,May...although they may be strongly attached to a particular stable.

However because John Dunn isn't officially a trainer he can drive against his own stable runners as he did in Race 2 today..I don't think any of us doubt that he really trains the South island team.I know it's legal but it feels wrong.

Should he be declared the official trainer of the South Island Dunn team.

2 hours ago, Bruce M said:

We all know that if a trainer has a runner in a race then they can't drive any other horse in that race.In most cases it's a perfectly understandable rule.For that reason most of our top drivers aren't trainers.....Orange,Dexter,May...although they may be strongly attached to a particular stable.

However because John Dunn isn't officially a trainer he can drive against his own stable runners as he did in Race 2 today..I don't think any of us doubt that he really trains the South island team.I know it's legal but it feels wrong.

Should he be declared the official trainer of the South Island Dunn team.

I suspect the legal answer is only yes if R Dunn takes him in as a partner and registers that with controlling body i.e HRNZ. Otherwise he is free to ply his trade like any other freelance driver. What confuses the issue was the recent case where he was also fined by JCA for being in charge of a horse that was produced with prohibited substances on race day.

also race 7 Dunn boys first and third John white Robt Dunns trained nowhere. (can assume John and dexter had better options than Dads horse.. ) John will have to make decision to be a trainer or driver (freelance) as bad look for punters.

15 hours ago, john legend said:

also race 7 Dunn boys first and third John white Robt Dunns trained nowhere. (can assume John and dexter had better options than Dads horse.. ) John will have to make decision to be a trainer or driver (freelance) as bad look for punters.

Looks bad as you say but under the current rules perfectly legal i would say.Rule change possibly required but it might be messy to police

yes not an area hrnz would want to get into.other names like Abernethys and Butchers come to mind in the north.It is logical for families to work together and eventually end up as trainers or partners but who can blame drivers to keep options open as except for top 10  little reward for them,if not winning regularly.

21 hours ago, john legend said:

Alta Shelby driven by J D in last two starts, John White drive by Matt in last 5 starts.  Why should Matt have to get off John White in preference to J D.  Matt works for R  J and should continue his association with the horse he regularly drives.

as recently as april the dunn Bros. drove Johnny White and no argument that Robt would like to retain the flexibility as to drivers especially with Dexters imminent departure (if Trumpy will let him in !!) Obviously Matt knows the horse well > it is only a question of when a driver  becomes more than a stablehand and could be regarded as co trainer when two stables operating in north and south.