RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man 11

RIP A.N. Didham

Young Arthur or Mickey Didham passed away yesterday !

Son of old Arthur [AE] ,brother of Jim , Lesley[Jumbo] and Ernie [EJ] , Mickey was a top Otago trainer for many years.

One of his best horses was Golden Sam ,and I also remember Royal Estate and Shewetta as good performers.

As a young chap I sometimes led his horses into the birdcage and remember Underwood Lass winning a couple of times for me !

He was 86.....RIP

I loved Golden Sam

He was my first equine hero, in my early High School days

A magnificent chestnut with a white blaze who competed against the best both here and in Australia

Had photos of him in my room - surely would have been a Hoof Beats colour centrespread and after a race I'll tell you about I went to the ODT/ Evening Star shop down Stewart St and bought his photo

I'll never forget his resuming run in the Open Sprint at Wingatui, 6 furlongs, topweight probably 9 stone 4 lb

Last in the running, 3 lengths last on turn, flies home and wins by 3, paid about 6's as I recall 

A few weeks earlier my Mum, bless her, made a momentous decision to give me direct the weekly child allowance the government paid for all children under 18.

I had saved a few weeks worth and was noticing Golden Sam was up to galloping in the Trackwork pages.

Long story short, on his resumption,  I headed over the hill to Wingatui and plonked the lot on Sam - whew talk about exhilirating

An amazing era of equine champions

At Forbury we had Stella Frost, Robalan, Arapaho,Speedy Guest, Young Quinn

At Wingatui Show Gate, Grey Way , Igloo, Lynda Mary, The Twinkle, The Dimple, Bell Flight, Dandyman, Candyboy 

How could you not love horses after seeing those champions

2 hours ago, Roger Sugrue said:

I loved Golden Sam

He was my first equine hero, in my early High School days

A magnificent chestnut with a white blaze who competed against the best both here and in Australia

Had photos of him in my room - surely would have been a Hoof Beats colour centrespread and after a race I'll tell you about I went to the ODT/ Evening Star shop down Stewart St and bought his photo

I'll never forget his resuming run in the Open Sprint at Wingatui, 6 furlongs, topweight probably 9 stone 4 lb

Last in the running, 3 lengths last on turn, flies home and wins by 3, paid about 6's as I recall 

A few weeks earlier my Mum, bless her, made a momentous decision to give me direct the weekly child allowance the government paid for all children under 18.

I had saved a few weeks worth and was noticing Golden Sam was up to galloping in the Trackwork pages.

Long story short, on his resumption,  I headed over the hill to Wingatui and plonked the lot on Sam - whew talk about exhilirating

An amazing era of equine champions

At Forbury we had Stella Frost, Robalan, Arapaho,Speedy Guest, Young Quinn

At Wingatui Show Gate, Grey Way , Igloo, Lynda Mary, The Twinkle, The Dimple, Bell Flight, Dandyman, Candyboy 

How could you not love horses after seeing those champions

He trained a few for our family, quietly spoken  bloke who did  a good job with apprentices with Megan Brick coming to mind.