Sign in to follow this  
MrBigStuff

Another meeting bites the dust

47 posts in this topic

Due to extremely heavy rain, surface water on the track and further rain predicted for today and tomorrow the meeting scheduled for Te Teko on Wednesday 13 June has been abandoned. NZTR, together with the club and New Zealand Racing Board are looking to find an alternative date to run this meeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Patiti said:

,If there was an all weather at say Cambridge or Matamata would this help much

Some meeting are going to lose out anyway,

Yes because you can transfer them like they do in Victoria, however they always have to make some minor distance changes if they go to Pakenham or Geelong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Patiti said:

If there was an all weather at say Cambridge or Matamata would this help much

Some meeting are going to lose out anyway,

I imagine that if there was an all-weather at Matamata you wouldn't need Te Teko anymore would you? This meeting would have been scheduled for the all weather in the first place. Several tracks would probably become redundant if an all weather was built. No one seems to have factored that in so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I imagine that if there was an all-weather at Matamata you wouldn't need Te Teko anymore would you? This meeting would have been scheduled for the all weather in the first place. Several tracks would probably become redundant if an all weather was built. No one seems to have factored that in so far.

Perhaps that's true in the winter but surely not in the Spring and Summer months?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

I imagine that if there was an all-weather at Matamata you wouldn't need Te Teko anymore would you? This meeting would have been scheduled for the all weather in the first place. Several tracks would probably become redundant if an all weather was built. No one seems to have factored that in so far.

Shit you really don't know your racing.  Te Teko is a grass surface that holds up most of the year because of its location. This latest unfortunate weather event was predictable 7 days ago. Racing management needed to be flexible not to get locked into a location. Eastern province weather bombs are predictable.

To say Te Teko wasn't needed if an all weather was at Matamata  are comments made by a moron, twit and imbecile who knows nothing of racing. Te Teko has abnormally good weather which provides a good surface. Just a shame the track wasn't bigger in order to take 30 runners with a 1200m straight.

The all weather track needs to have a 800m straight at a minimum. This eliminates track pace and draw bias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Berri said:

Shit you really don't know your racing.  Te Teko is a grass surface that holds up most of the year because of its location. This latest unfortunate weather event was predictable 7 days ago. Racing management needed to be flexible not to get locked into a location. Eastern province weather bombs are predictable.

To say Te Teko wasn't needed if an all weather was at Matamata  are comments made by a moron, twit and imbecile who knows nothing of racing. Te Teko has abnormally good weather which provides a good surface. Just a shame the track wasn't bigger in order to take 30 runners with a 1200m straight.

The all weather track needs to have a 800m straight at a minimum. This eliminates track pace and draw bias.

Bit unnecessary to stoop to name calling. Also lots of all weather tracks don’t have up and in biases. Neither HK nor Singapore significantly favour inside draws or leaders which are two I have watched hundreds of races on over many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

Bit unnecessary to stoop to name calling. Also lots of all weather tracks don’t have up and in biases. Neither HK nor Singapore significantly favour inside draws or leaders which are two I have watched hundreds of races on over many years.

Berri 30 runners with a 1200m straight? I think you are disorientated. This is NZ not England!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get your heads out of a bucket. There is one opportunity to get it right for the future. Three things exist if you get it right. Number 1....IF you get more than 24 runners in a field, betting goes up. Number 2...IF those races are staying races, betting goes up. Number 3...IF there is no perceived bias in relation to barrier draw, betting goes up

a 1200m straight on a big wide track does all the above

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gubellini said:

Berri 30 runners with a 1200m straight? I think you are disorientated. This is NZ not England!

 

6 hours ago, gubellini said:

Berri 30 runners with a 1200m straight? I think you are disorientated. This is NZ not England!

Where’s he going to find 30 jockeys ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, puha said:

 

Where’s he going to find 30 jockeys ?

 

17 minutes ago, puha said:

 

Where’s he going to find 30 jockeys ?

Plus there is the problem that our antiquated betting system can only cater for up to 24 runners. Berri are you suggesting we go back to the old days of bracketing horses? Also none of our barriers can handle 30 horses! Berri nostalgia has it’s place but flag starts or barrier strands just wouldn’t cut it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gubellini said:

Berri 30 runners with a 1200m straight? I think you are disorientated. This is NZ not England!

30 runners - crickey commentators wouldn't get halfway through the finish order before trackside went over to Mooloolumwooomba dogs or wherever.:P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to the type of rain the B.O.P AND WAIKATO has received in the last week no track could have stood up to the weather.

Another disappointing reason owners are hard to find.I thought Te Rapa was the flagship for wet weather racing?

Do we need Winter flat racing?The standard of the fields going around at the moment is a disgrace.

The standards of all our racing have slipped since they altered the rating system.I have not seen a decent Group One race for many many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 10:01 PM, Berri said:

Shit you really don't know your racing.  Te Teko is a grass surface that holds up most of the year because of its location. This latest unfortunate weather event was predictable 7 days ago. Racing management needed to be flexible not to get locked into a location. Eastern province weather bombs are predictable.

To say Te Teko wasn't needed if an all weather was at Matamata  are comments made by a moron, twit and imbecile who knows nothing of racing. Te Teko has abnormally good weather which provides a good surface. Just a shame the track wasn't bigger in order to take 30 runners with a 1200m straight.

The all weather track needs to have a 800m straight at a minimum. This eliminates track pace and draw bias.

I take it you are trying to say in your own subtle way that you don't necessarily agree with my thoughtful comments.

If an all weather track was built somewhere, say Matamata, then it would be expected to be used about 24 times a year, or more, as horses who discover they quite like the surface will need regular opportunities on it. Matamata currently has about 12 meetings a year. I imagine they would still want to hold 6-8 of those on their existing grass surface so that does leave up to 18 meetings that will have to come off other clubs around Auckland and the Waikato. Rather than taking a couple of meetings each off nine clubs, surely it would be easier just to close two or three tracks down altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Can I ask why you presume an AW track will not be turf ?

In my experience any polymer or wax based track world wide seems to attract a different type of horse with a different action, and we haven’t bred that type of horse in NZ, so you invariably find horses that prefer AW tracks in countries that are turf driven, for example the UK and NZ, are of a lesser standard.

Conversely the turf style AW track, Strathayr, as seen in Hong Kong, Mooney Valley and Singapore tends to suit horses bred for turf tracks, typicallly those with British, Irish or Australian heritage.

Whilst I accept that a polymer track would be better than nothing I also think it’d be madness to create tracks that suit second rate horses, that’ll just further diminish our international reputation and favour bad horses and the production of a bad product.

Coukd you revert and help me understand what the fraternity think of my intelligent observations.

Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are spot on P4P. The all weather tracks (eg, Pakenham, Geelong) drive the punters away. But strathayr doesn’t worry the punter nor the horse. As for rain, I’ve commented on here before. I was in HK and on the morning of the Shatin races, a tropical downpour of “EPIC” proportions went on for two solid hours. I’ve never seen such a downpour. I planned for a long lunch because I thought there was no way there would be races on. Impossible! Not only did they race, they posted a good surface! The drainage on Shatin is the best in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 6:52 AM, puha said:

 

Where’s he going to find 30 jockeys ?

I can't pick the winner in an 8 horse field , I sure as hell won't be betting into a 30 horse field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Trump said:

You are spot on P4P. The all weather tracks (eg, Pakenham, Geelong) drive the punters away. But strathayr doesn’t worry the punter nor the horse. As for rain, I’ve commented on here before. I was in HK and on the morning of the Shatin races, a tropical downpour of “EPIC” proportions went on for two solid hours. I’ve never seen such a downpour. I planned for a long lunch because I thought there was no way there would be races on. Impossible! Not only did they race, they posted a good surface! The drainage on Shatin is the best in the world.

And remarkably it’s built on a reclaimed swamp.

I think HK get it right because they get the best advice, clearly jockeys, trainers and vets have a lot of input, whilst breeders and syndicator get no say, presumably because they don’t exist in HK.

There’s the difference Trump, NZ Racing is run by amateurs and breeders who wouldn’t know the difference between Strathayr and fresh air, polymer or Pollyanna, and that’s probably why we’ll never again be any good on the global stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this