RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Abernant

Gavelhouse

That is the state of NZ industry..however I’m appalled at the behaviour of many of the people selling. There is no dignity given to these poor gentle animals.  I can’t stand these so called professionals who sell empty mares of a certain age. What is to be gained out of that?  Why send them away...?  Khama will respond in kind!  Animal welfare in NZhas a long way to go before a responsible culture is created.

Not sure I understand why you would be sad?

It’s an online auction, hence the market will determine the worth of the product. The breeder/seller can put a reserve on their horse, it’s not like they have a gun to their heads to use gavelhouse.

Are you also sad for the buyer at say MM or Karaka sale when a horse sells for >$1mil and is a complete flop on the track or are you only looking at the bottom end on this said ‘sadness’?

Yip correct, i bet the ones who buy for 1 mill have another 50 mill left tp play with.

At the bottom end some cant wait for results and need to dump to survive. Cut losses cant afford to race with pathetic stakes money.

I think you're missing the point of the Online Auction, most of the stock is sold like the May Sale , It's very well operated and there are some well priced horses available. I think the most important thing about these online auctions is that the horses are potentially going somewhere where they are being given an opportunity to be a race horse or a broodmare instead of sitting in a paddock or worse. 

There has been a number of winners come out of the sales and its great to see. One thing it does do though is make you think why would you pay stallion fees when you see the price some of these go for.

I agree i think the auction is very good and very well run and gives people another way of selling. But looking at some prices as Lionel said market prices, you would quesion going into the industry unless you were at the top end. That was my point only good if you need some tax losses.

I’ve bought at least a dozen between gavelhouse and Bloodstock Auctions. As a small time player in purchase price I love this option of buying to race . I’ve purchased a few that have been tried and all have come with issues apart from one so I’d say buyer beware  The last few I’ve bought have been beauties and all will get their opportunity to shine on the racetrack . Also for the seller it’s a far cheaper option than going to Karaka. Great addition in my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, puha said:

I’ve bought at least a dozen between gavelhouse and Bloodstock Auctions. As a small time player in purchase price I love this option of buying to race . I’ve purchased a few that have been tried and all have come with issues apart from one so I’d say buyer beware  The last few I’ve bought have been beauties and all will get their opportunity to shine on the racetrack . Also for the seller it’s a far cheaper option than going to Karaka. Great addition in my humble opinion.

I would love to see a feedback section similar to trademe, would give buyers a little more confidence I recon. I have purchased two as potential jumpers, both been exactly what i was expecting so would have given both positive feedback, one was just too slow and the other having first run around tomorrow for me.

It helps if the photos are recent not in a case like the mare we brought the photos where taken at least 6mths earlier (we found out after) and did not give a true reflection of the mares condition! But in saying that another mare we brought was in excellent condition from another vendor.

39 minutes ago, Abernant said:

It would be good to here from a seller not a buyer to see what they say

Surely you'd think most of the vendors would be satisfied , after all they set the reserve . What the vendor expected to get may be more relative to cost of production than selling on a site like Gavel which may be greater concern for being dissatisfied.

I've sold 3 and been happy, two were $300 jobs and one about $4000. They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Actually I lie as I write that, one passed in with no bids and later sold for $300 to polo, wasnt a bad filly either, almost broke track record at Riccarton but was honest in my description say she did has breathing issues so no one interested. Rather be honest myself because I will probably have more in the future I want move on. 

I cant believe what you saying only worth what somone pays funny as with 10k service fees etc.

sold for $300 jobs and happy, cant imagine running a bussiness this way hobby yes.

wish i was i know about filly i have paid s**t loads for horses that cost another s***t  load to find out no good but that not the point i was making this a $$$ bussiness

and people in it as small breeders need to dump horses sad

30 minutes ago, Abernant said:

I cant believe what you saying only worth what somone pays funny as with 10k service fees etc.

sold for $300 jobs and happy, cant imagine running a bussiness this way hobby yes.

wish i was i know about filly i have paid s**t loads for horses that cost another s***t  load to find out no good but that not the point i was making this a $$$ bussiness

Can we have an English translator?

Diddy u evenn lock ate wait you posted beforess ewes a submitted it.

9 hours ago, Abernant said:

But the point is the site did its job and found a home for the horse, obviously the vendor just wanted out of the horse or the reserve would not have been so low. Also most of the horses on there haven't had a yearling or weanling prep they are just put on the site as is , so someone has got to spend some dosh and time educating them to that level as well so you aren't comparing apples with apples if youre looking at the Auction house prices. 

Don't get caught up in the hype and BS of the GC MM sale or the K1 here its mostly BS. I agree some of the stud fees are quite high for what the end product is , but the stallion owner also has to make a quid.

It's no different than any other business. A whiteware company has a freezer fall off the forklift when unloading and breaks it is only sold for parts but then make up for the loss on the sales of others. A farmer buys a working dog and put time and money into breaking it in only to find that isn't interested in working sheep, it gets given away as a pet. 

It's just a numbers game, and the minutes the hammer is knocked down your expenses are finished and it is someone else's turn. 

I bougt a beautiful mare that is a 3/4 to Aimees idol for only 200. Had another go at racing her for a 4th but her heart wasn' in it anymore and that was fine by me as I mainly got her for breeding. Have to say she is the spitting image of her grand dam eight carat and has a lovely nature. So I for one am a very happy purchaser.