RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
EsquireNZ

Andrew Brown: the reason the NZ Racing Industry is riding into the Sunset

if they missed the Princess series fiasco and the current employment situation they must have sure as hell been impressed with the stripes on this spiffing chappies suit.

brilliant these sort of blokes would buy a zebra to win golden slipper because it was by an unbeaten sire out of an unbeaten mare.

Can I suggest that mere speculation as to the guy's background, if it does seem dubious, goes nowhere. Why not put it aside and consider that the issue of submitting an overstated CV, if it was, may meet the criteria for acceptance as a matter to focus on and probe by an agency such as the Serious Fraud Office. They have powers designed to overrule any butt saving dialogue from those who were responsible for the recruitment and appointment!!

Can I suggest that mere speculation as to the guy's background, if it does seem dubious, goes nowhere. Why not put it aside and consider that the issue of submitting an overstated CV, if it was, may meet the criteria for acceptance as a matter to focus on and probe by an agency such as the Serious Fraud Office. They have powers designed to overrule any butt saving dialogue from those who were responsible for the recruitment and appointment!!

Indeed, Panda...

At the end of the day, the guy was appointed.

And who appointed him?

Stiassny and his chums...

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves...''

NZ Racing's Strategic Goals were quoted in a previous post by the sheriff.

The Plan is built around five Strategic Goals:

1) To have the best quality wagering services in the world

2) To have the highest level of integrity in racing and wagering in the world

3) To be the best racing organisation in the world

4) To have the highest rate of participation in the world

5) To have the best quality racing in the world

Leaving aside the particular individuals involved, the above strategic goals of NZ Racing have to be at least part of the problem. I've unfortunately had quite a bit of experience with organisational performance measures and the above are just witless, unmeasurable tripe. Any goal that uses the phrase ' to be the best in the world' is a sure sign of cluelessness or a desire to avoid measuring performance. And they all use the phrase or variants of it. I would have thought that a few harder-edged goals around measurable increases in on and off-course turnover, increased on-course crowds, increased numbers of horses in training, fewer suspensions of jackeys/trainers etc would have helped. Maybe they're in a lower level business plan, but with strategic goals like the above, NZ Racing wouldn't know where its going and wouldn't know if/when it has got there.

6) To have the best Strategic Goals that cannot possibly be measured

NZ Racing's Strategic Goals were quoted in a previous post by the sheriff.

Leaving aside the particular individuals involved, the above strategic goals of NZ Racing have to be at least part of the problem. I've unfortunately had quite a bit of experience with organisational performance measures and the above are just witless, unmeasurable tripe. Any goal that uses the phrase ' to be the best in the world' is a sure sign of cluelessness or a desire to avoid measuring performance. And they all use the phrase or variants of it. I would have thought that a few harder-edged goals around measurable increases in on and off-course turnover, increased on-course crowds, increased numbers of horses in training, fewer suspensions of jackeys/trainers etc would have helped. Maybe they're in a lower level business plan, but with strategic goals like the above, NZ Racing wouldn't know where its going and wouldn't know if/when it has got there.

Joe I have been quick to criticise some aspects of the strategic plan but I think your comments are unfair. Each of those goals are broken down into initiatives. So, Goal 1 has four of those

#1 Attract more customers

#2 Increase the product offering

#3 Increase revenues by 10% by introducing non-wagering product

#4 Improve the customer experience

Each of those initiatives has measurable targets, generally both raw targets and revenue related targets for each of the next five years. For example, #1 has 2 aims of increasing number of retail tickets issued and number of active account holders. Measurable targets ARE set. For example, the target for retail ticket growth via the identified tactics is from 94.3 million in 09 to 106.7 million in 2015.

While I don't necessarily agree with all the initiatives and tactics identified or omitted from the plan, nor some of the modelling it is based on. That said, it is in my view a comprehensive well constructed strategic planning document.

Have you actually read it?

That said, it is in my view a comprehensive well constructed strategic planning document.

But there's nothing in there, Leggy, about regular, how about six-monthly?, reviews to ascertain whether not any of the goals set out in those plans is being met?

We are supposed to sit, like little sheep, for 5 years to see if anything happens?

Hell, we hold Governments more accountable than that!

the split of the first goal into 4 initiatives is very interesting .

the first 2 seem irrelevant , the 3rd dubious depending on the revenue being gross or net and the 4th again dubious and intangible.

again the first measurable target just seems nonsensical and may relate to even the design of the forms for example or the punters assessment of the field.

e.g. when I am taking exotic bets my tickets issued may vary from 1 to over 20 for exactly the same amount.

the results after the ist year of this fiasco will be fascinating I did wonder why he was reporting such a dismal result after such a short time and attempting to blame it something out of his control.

what it does show is an incredible naivety

about what is relevant to their customers and a gross over analysis of unimportant misleading data.

But there's nothing in there, Leggy, about regular, how about six-monthly?, reviews to ascertain whether not any of the goals set out in those plans is being met?

We are supposed to sit, like little sheep, for 5 years to see if anything happens?

Hell, we hold Governments more accountable than that!

The plan says monitoring and reporting on the achievement of Strategic Goals will be provided on monthly quarterly and annual basis, depending on the nature of the measure. There is an allowance of 1.5 million to provisew a data warehouse to act as a repository for the analytics.

Punna, I'm not saying I agree with all the strategies or that some important ones may be missing. In fact, I think the general focus is wrong in a number of areas. Anyway I'll try to post a link to the plan shortly, or you can request it from the RB.

I have to ask is how on earth could the board and the code leaders accept this mindless dribbling as useful.

The proof that it is nonsensical is presumably from the reaction to the first quarterly review with the explanation of recession aftershocks and drastic cutbacks.

really incredibly bizarre.

surely the employment of the big primate from the wellington zoo as ceo of nzrb is long overdue. someone that would just eat his bananas poo his nappies and do nothing else would be a saving of over $800,000 per annum would be a great start.

There are a couple of blank bits due to commercially sensitive aspects removed.

Commercially-sensitive?

They run a monopoly operation!

If and when I have a spare 6 hours, Leggy, I will actually sit down and read all three lengthy texts...

(Imagine what 'The King' would make of it all if those all landed on his desk at once!)

I expect to be underwhelmed...

Commercially-sensitive?

They run a monopoly operation!

If and when I have a spare 6 hours, Leggy, I will actually sit down and read all three lengthy texts...

(Imagine what 'The King' would make of it all if those all landed on his desk at once!)

I expect to be underwhelmed...

It was in relation to self-service units which would compete with other agencies, and data related to Lotteries which are a competitor of sorts. Only a couple of very small sections of 100 page document.

totally mindboggling and so totally out of touch with reality. One certainty though is reduced takeout is clearly seen as a major negative.

All I can say really is to the people that thought the Princess series was a disaster then this is the Queen of all f... ups

I really love it when people assume money is only important to them .

Joe I have been quick to criticise some aspects of the strategic plan but I think your comments are unfair. Each of those goals are broken down into initiatives. So, Goal 1 has four of those

#1 Attract more customers

#2 Increase the product offering

#3 Increase revenues by 10% by introducing non-wagering product

#4 Improve the customer experience

Each of those initiatives has measurable targets, generally both raw targets and revenue related targets for each of the next five years. For example, #1 has 2 aims of increasing number of retail tickets issued and number of active account holders. Measurable targets ARE set. For example, the target for retail ticket growth via the identified tactics is from 94.3 million in 09 to 106.7 million in 2015.

While I don't necessarily agree with all the initiatives and tactics identified or omitted from the plan, nor some of the modelling it is based on. That said, it is in my view a comprehensive well constructed strategic planning document.

The only version I have been able to find was strangely on thoroughbrednews.co.au - I can't find it on the NZ Racing Board site. There is some reference to it in the 2010 Annual Report but no detail. The Aussie site's version does have sub-goals - 23 by my count - of which 12 could be measurable in some way but most are not models of precision. It does not have the numerical targets you quoted Leggy. Can you provide a link to a full version? I still think that any strategic goal that includes the phrase 'to be the best in the world' is a reliable indicator of bs to follow...

but basically he confuses wagering and gaming and the skill element involved or lack of it.

That leads to make assumptions that TAB punters will respond like lotto players and further they don't know or care about takeout.

How this report was accepted by the NZRB board and further other industry leaders presumably did not query it is a damning indictemt on all of them

leggy has provided the links. its such a hoot and lotsa figures but first you need to accept the world is flat

Scan read the whole 101 pages and did a few basic counts:

14 initiatives at least, some with targets

78 tactics at least, some with targets

30 deliverables/objectives/other goals, some of which are tactics, or activities, or something else

18 financial forecasts of the effects of tactics etc

As the above numbers indicate, it is all dog's breakfast with far too many initiatives/tactics/objectives etc with little focus and no prioritisation. The summary financial forecast suggests that the whole package would result in a 58% increase in turnover and a 53% increase in profitability from 2009 to 2015.

Ambitious.

It's all a bit of a shame really because there is some good stuff hidden away in the thicket of words and graphs eg the analysis of the forthcoming competition from Victoria through tax reduction and the Aussie states' gross margins cf NZ is quite good. There are also a few real howlers - anyone want to bet on 'Dancing with the Stars' (p46)?

As this document is not on the NZ Racing website I assume it is 'under review.' Anyone know its current status?

by assumption they see the position of pricing at 15% greater takeout on average than Tabcorp as optimal. Then if Tabcorp moves with reduced takeout they will move to a similar position at 15% higher. Quite bizarre and would love to know the basis for this pricing producing the optimal return to the industry , in their opinion .

Who was the bunny that made the stuff up in this contract with Andrew Brown?

Were they ever made accountable in any shape or form?

It's a known fact from information online about Ceo's in Europe that the amount of Euro's he was paid was way in excess of other Ceo's in Europe.

It is understood €500,000 is in the top band for Ceo's of a worldwide company based in Europe these days.

Naturally a " Kiwi" based & operated firm would pay considerably less.

Some Ceo's have put a cap on there own & those of senior staff in the finance / insurance sector to 20%.

Why did Andrew Brown not question at the time if the sum on offer was incorrect?

An honest & reputable Ceo would have.

Shame on him & grossly negligent of those that allowed it to happen in the first place.