RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Black Kirrama

The Informant Price Increase

Two years ago I emailed Dennis Ryan and said dont pussy foot around put your up price to $10.00.

This is our unbiased NZ racing weekly source of news and accurate race fields.

Such an amazing NZ publication.. Trainers/ Jockeys/ Sires / indexes.

Mathew Francis  as,  the Informant's publisher wrote today the price would increase.to $8.50.

Matt you should have rounded it up to a simple $10.00 .

Rev Somervell

$8-50, wow, over here in Oz we have two publications, Sportsman and Winning Post, both substantially bigger that TI, understandable due to the extra racing, however, the Winning Post is 5 dollars.......how on earth do your operating costs in NZ soar past those here in AUS. Having said that, The Informant is excellent, as a breeder I love to read about your industry, but worry why everything in NZ is so expensive. 

I believe, Duncan Garner has now come out and attacked the building industry over there for rorting, not suggesting Brian is doing that, just commenting on the costs/prices for everything in general in NZ.

4 hours ago, gubellini said:

La Zip substantially lower circulation figures in NZ may be the reason for the cover price discrepancies.

That is almost certainly correct La Zip. It is also one reason we have more expensive building costs (only two major players), and more expensive food (again, only two major players). There are advantages to living in a beautiful country with a low population, but economies of scale isn't one of them!

5 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Will Brian de Lore write about Winston welching on the coalition policy of free medical care for babies, because he selfishly wants another billion for diplomats !

Will Brian de Lore write about the coalition cracks appearing now that The Greens are saying they won’t support the Waka jumping bill ?

Will Brian de Lore Be brave enough to mention that according to impeccable sources Winston didn’t have a Racing policy in his coalition negotiations because with the Greens not being a part of the formal coalition, and because they’re opposed to Racing in principle, it wasn’t possible to lock such a policy in.

Would Brian de Lore like to comment on the developing split between NZF and The Greens over compulsory Te Reo in schools ?

And lastly, would Brian de Lore be kind enough to get a copy of the top secret coalition agreement so we can all see what’s not there for Racing ? Or shall we all just put our blind faith in the Messiah. ?

Bearing in mind that Winston has been in three coalitions ( Shipley, Bolger and Clark ) and two have ended in bitter failures, in one instance four of his own party stayed with National, would Brian de Lore like to comment on the damage being done to Racing by this bizarre dependence on and faith in the vituperative Peters, and where this’ll leave Racing when Peters departs this political pantomime he’s currently a part of ?

That’d make for a column worth reading.

In about ten minutes Brian will ring me to discuss this, because he does, so can we agree that you’ll have answers please Brian.

Thanks.

Not sure why he would asK NON RACING QUESTIONS...... it's a RACING PUBLICATION

In this age of electronic media why would I pay for a printed publication? Building costs, paper, labour all pricing is to do with economics, marketing and profit.  All this debate is pretty redundant. Either you pay it or you don't. Often prices go up just before something leaves the market because the manufacturer can't make enough out of it? For the price of a year's subscription to TI you can buy a laptop or notebook and find it all on the internet. The NZTR website is an excellent resource. You can also watch the trials, replay races and look up your favourite pedigrees in full colour, it's true, I have seen it myself and no bogey man like my mother told me if I watch it too much.

On 13/05/2018 at 7:25 PM, psyc said:

In this age of electronic media why would I pay for a printed publication? Building costs, paper, labour all pricing is to do with economics, marketing and profit.  All this debate is pretty redundant. Either you pay it or you don't. Often prices go up just before something leaves the market because the manufacturer can't make enough out of it? For the price of a year's subscription to TI you can buy a laptop or notebook and find it all on the internet. The NZTR website is an excellent resource. You can also watch the trials, replay races and look up your favourite pedigrees in full colour, it's true, I have seen it myself and no bogey man like my mother told me if I watch it too much.

I agree all racing information is available for free online. Also a copy is available to customers to read at our local TAB if I want to read any stories. 

On 5/13/2018 at 7:25 PM, psyc said:

Psyc

You certainly can use your computer. On which you can view the same regurgitated stories that come from the Racing Desk and NZTM. The newspapers are lazy and print what is given to them by others, the Racing Desk and NZTM. The Informant does actually make news, provides perspectives via letters and their own correspondents. Their information is widely used in Australian media, paper, radio and TV.

In my view, it is much more interesting to read fresh and interesting stories, rather than what is available on the NZTR and NZTM who I believe are under resourced for such publications.

A number of online publications charge for their information, because it costs money to generate it. So you do have to charge to recover expenses.

The way your note is written, it sounds like you are looking for a free lunch. Gen X I imagine.

cheers

I use online and paper.

My informant or Best Bets ends up looking like a 5 year old got hold of it with my ratings down the side, brief notes for horses, opening fixed odds down the far margin etc etc - much of the info obtained from watching videos or reviewing old form on line.

Much easier for me to then spend an afternoon watching the races on TV, on track at the pub wherever with everything I need (plus racing colours etc) at my fingertips. And I do bet via my ph or laptop mostly.

I like the trackwork and articles etc as well - so one old fogey it still works for

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:31 AM, La Zip said:

$8-50, wow, over here in Oz we have two publications, Sportsman and Winning Post, both substantially bigger that TI, understandable due to the extra racing, however, the Winning Post is 5 dollars.......how on earth do your operating costs in NZ soar past those here in AUS. Having said that, The Informant is excellent, as a breeder I love to read about your industry, but worry why everything in NZ is so expensive. 

I believe, Duncan Garner has now come out and attacked the building industry over there for rorting, not suggesting Brian is doing that, just commenting on the costs/prices for everything in general in NZ.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:31 AM, La Zip said:

Duncan Garner is a tosser who needs to be tossed out.

He lacks intelligence and is highly unlikely to ever speak in a credible manner of rural industries.

Perhaps some strong minded people in racing should get him to visit and do a real job for a week and see how he lasts on the job, bit of mucking out stables , shove him on a horse that bucks, expose him to the veterinary and agricultural/ turf management , horses dietary needs and he might appreciate life a bit more.

Used to hear him when he did the 9-12 session on Radio live and he's very removed from rural life.

Those in Awhitu peninsula would be alarmed to hear he suggested building masses of houses there because there was "spare land", hello it's rural NZ where the cows and animals live that provide us with food, including the meat pies he used to eat.

On 5/15/2018 at 8:52 PM, John Clydesdale said:

Psyc

You certainly can use your computer. On which you can view the same regurgitated stories that come from the Racing Desk and NZTM. The newspapers are lazy and print what is given to them by others, the Racing Desk and NZTM. The Informant does actually make news, provides perspectives via letters and their own correspondents. Their information is widely used in Australian media, paper, radio and TV.

In my view, it is much more interesting to read fresh and interesting stories, rather than what is available on the NZTR and NZTM who I believe are under resourced for such publications.

A number of online publications charge for their information, because it costs money to generate it. So you do have to charge to recover expenses.

The way your note is written, it sounds like you are looking for a free lunch. Gen X I imagine.

cheers

So how is paying to read TI online different. Save some trees. And your are a presumptuous fool. A Gen X couldn't spell presumptuous. You are most likely a baby boomer, not unlike all the grey hair brigade that have sucked the life out of the industry by only serving their own interests instead of what is good for the industry. Please tell how an outdated format is useful? But I do agree that children should learn on paper with pencils if for no other reason than being creative because this form of learning is on its way out. Stop thinking of how good it was for you and accept that we live in an ever changing world.

11 minutes ago, psyc said:

So how is paying to read TI online different. Save some trees. And your are a presumptuous fool. A Gen X couldn't spell presumptuous. You are most likely a baby boomer, not unlike all the grey hair brigade that have sucked the life out of the industry by only serving their own interests instead of what is good for the industry. Please tell how an outdated format is useful? But I do agree that children should learn on paper with pencils if for no other reason than being creative because this form of learning is on its way out. Stop thinking of how good it was for you and accept that we live in an ever changing world.

Time to grow up psyc. Whatever gen you are, you must give in order to receive, so you do as you feel you should, but try to give a little. My contribution is decades, hope you do the same.

Leo a bit rich coming from you a proven failure when last given a canter as a Racing Panellist! Some of us have long memories! Still bagging Micky Coleman are we! Can’t wait to go to my local dairy and buy my Informant this morning!

Hey Leo one of the best horses you threw a leg over was the durable Strad. He was out of First Fiddle. I am happy to play second fiddle to you! As my nom de plume would suggest I am not a jockey bagger either!