RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Whitelion

Book on great nz broodmares

I am going to write a book, which I hope will be the first of a small series, on great nz broodmares. I have always thought there is so much more attention paid to the stallions and not the great blue hen mares. First one will be eight carat and her immediate offspring. I want to talk to people who knew the horses as I want the personal stories. I hope sir Patrick of course could be one of these but will get underway with the huge amount of research first. Would love to hear about any stories, photos anyone has. Big job I know but will be so much fun.

I wish you well with your writing.

As a research tool get hold of Clive Harper's  "The Thoroughbred Broodmare Book "  He looked at great broodmares from the USA, NZ , UK and Australia and looked what the best progeny from each, had in common from a line breeding point of view.

1 hour ago, Breeder said:

I wish you well with your writing.

As a research tool get hold of Clive Harper's  "The Thoroughbred Broodmare Book "  He looked at great broodmares from the USA, NZ , UK and Australia and looked what the best progeny from each, had in common from a line breeding point of view.

Thank you. Will do.

I should have noted above, Clive Harper based his selection on broodmare's of the year 1985 - 1997). His book was published 2003.

So he included --Eight Carat . The Fantasy, Lavender , Sharon Jane, Pheroz Fancy, Malt, Hunza, Belle Cherie, Imitation, Decoy Girl.

4 hours ago, bazach said:

Eulogy, Belle family, Entreaty ( dam of Phar Lap and ancestress of Sublime), maybe the “Heights” family????

that's Sunline - not sublime - bloody spell check!

Thanks all. Will also visit the nztba library when it reopens. But really want stories from the people who knew and worked with her and her direct descendants. So any names of grooms, stud staff will also help.

Whitelion - I have some home-made charts on broodmares such as Miss Kate, Eulogy, Neried, Cinna, Volifox, Cowl (Dulcie) and others, particularly those families where multiple stallions stood in N.Z., which I would be happy to send to you. Have lost the interest to maintain them now.

Have you read Lyle Andrew's books?

On 7/24/2018 at 10:48 AM, Phar Lap Fan said:

Whitelion - I have some home-made charts on broodmares such as Miss Kate, Eulogy, Neried, Cinna, Volifox, Cowl (Dulcie) and others, particularly those families where multiple stallions stood in N.Z., which I would be happy to send to you. Have lost the interest to maintain them now.

Have you read Lyle Andrew's books?

Thank you would love them. No have not read his books.would nztba library have them?

On 7/25/2018 at 8:05 PM, Whitelion said:

Thank you would love them. No have not read his books.would nztba library have them?

Hi, Whitelion. Are you interested in mares that bred in New Zealand only or add those that had sons stand here? Will sort through all the papers. How do I contact you to arrange delivery? I'm in Waikato.

Limitless family is a more recent one and showing black type.

I am writing a 2 page story on the Belle family (Blue hen) Belle Fox Foxbridge - Belle Star.

I can put it on a seperate post as an attachment when it has been corrected

On 8/2/2018 at 10:37 AM, Phar Lap Fan said:

Hi, Whitelion. Are you interested in mares that bred in New Zealand only or add those that had sons stand here? Will sort through all the papers. How do I contact you to arrange delivery? I'm in Waikato.

Thank you so much from the information you sent. I will make sure the work is valued.