RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
army

Programming for stayers

NZ are suppose to breed stayers but the programme at this time of the year does not cater for the rating 75 stayers. If you look at the current programme and rating 75 last week at Matamata there was a rating 70 staying race over 2000. Wednesday at Waipa there is a staying race rated 75 over 2000 and then there is nothing up the Waikato Auckland area until the 4th June at Avondale. You could send your horse down to Wairarapa or Wellington just a 6 or 7 hour float trip or race them up a grade. When are the programmers going to give the owners of stayers a fair go. 

23 hours ago, psyc said:

There should be a cap on rating points. I see Pop Star Princess copped 18 points for her debut running second? WTF?

The connections made their bed by running her in an open 3yo race, ie above her rating as a maiden who had won a trial.  Had she debuted in a maiden race she would have copped 6 or 7 points for running second, or 16 or 17 had she won.  I'm not defending the system, just describing how (I think) it operates.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:16 PM, psyc said:

There should be a cap on rating points. I see Pop Star Princess copped 18 points for her debut running second? WTF?

Why? Isn't that the whole point of a handicapping system to equalise horses chances should they meet again? She ran second to a 76 rated horse with an 89 rated one directly behind her. Surely that's then quite appropriate to re-rate her in the mid 60s. I'd probably argue that she should have got more than that.

And she's proven today that she's up to a rating higher than that.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:32 PM, Leggy said:

Why? Isn't that the whole point of a handicapping system to equalise horses chances should they meet again? She ran second to a 76 rated horse with an 89 rated one directly behind her. Surely that's then quite appropriate to re-rate her in the mid 60s. I'd probably argue that she should have got more than that.

And she's proven today that she's up to a rating higher than that.

Isn't hindsight wonderful for you? It was her maiden run, 2nd and 18 pts. No choice but to run her in age races as the trainer stated. Still believe there should be a cap on rating points. I bet if you had a horse that ran 2nd 12 times you would be upset you couldn't get a win with the weight? Rogie had a horse that that happened to.

On 5/9/2018 at 7:37 PM, Scotch Thistle said:

The connections made their bed by running her in an open 3yo race, ie above her rating as a maiden who had won a trial.  Had she debuted in a maiden race she would have copped 6 or 7 points for running second, or 16 or 17 had she won.  I'm not defending the system, just describing how (I think) it operates.

So the trainer screwed her?

What is woefully wrong is that we don't have a program for staying types any more. The race programmers have got it completely wrong. Most horses need age to mature and most horses need 2400 or more to be at their genetic best. And believe it or not, as long as you have the numbers, staying races entice larger betting.

So what the fuck is up?!?!

If the rumours are to be believed, Garry with two R's and Mark with two chins are in deep discussions to part with their kingdom of 1000 hectares.

Phil Bullshit Twyford and Whisky Winstone have been seen measuring out sections on Tower Road in anticipation of building the biggest suburb south of Manakau.

Who woulda thought?