RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Lazarus sold...

19 minutes ago, 2Piper said:

Whose now the leading horse for the NZ Cup in your mind ?

Dare I say Franco Nelson !

Star Galleria, Titan Banner and there's Chase Auckland and Ultimate Machete if they return to racing. Don't know what has happened to the The Fixer but he also looked handy, not sure if he will race again?

6 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Breaking news that Kiwi Champ Lazarus has been sold to North American interests and will leave around May 24.

Thanks for the memories fella.....;)

https://theinformant.co.nz/website/News/single_news/Lazarus-sale-deal-finalised/ZK9274

Harnesslink reports he will run at the Red Mile twice in October then onto Pocono for Breeders Crown. Then its getting ready for stud duties. With him being a Bettors Delight over Cullen will be good over there as services per stallion over there are capped each year. Here there are an abundance of Cullen and Bettors mares in which will not be bred to him. Leaves Art Major, Falcon  Seelster and Mach Three mares for him commercially here and in Aussie.

35 minutes ago, Iraklis said:

Oh no no no no no........well, all I gotta say is nuts, nuts, and fricken !@#$%^&* nuts!!!!

Cheers Iraklis

Totally agree - very sad news for his fans. But I guess the owners thought long and hard. Didn't Auckland Reactor sell for 5 mil? Laz was better than him I would have thought.

56 minutes ago, Spikecity said:

Totally agree - very sad news for his fans. But I guess the owners thought long and hard. Didn't Auckland Reactor sell for 5 mil? Laz was better than him I would have thought.

4 mil  from  memory

A fairly risky move taking him to the US to race I would have thought. By all reports they paid a huge premium over and above the other offer on the table, so that they could take him to the US to try and establish a dual hemisphere stud career for him. No matter what he does in America, as an outsider, the US breeders aren't going to flock to him at stud, and it will add little if anything to his marketability in the southern hemisphere, with the risk that if he does an "Auckland Reactor" up there it will wipe out any hope of a northern hemisphere stud career, and damage his "brand" down here as well.

I guess if you have the balls to put the money on the table, you get to take whatever risks you like, but for mine, I see little upside to the US foray. with the potential it could all easily turn pear shaped. It's a big call.

Let's hope he runs 1.45 at the Red Mile and slays them in the Breeders Crown!

Spike mate, it's enough to drive yuh to drink :( gunna leave big hole in the open racin ranks, we (Kiwis) just lost 'one bloody big gun', still no word on AllStars site......is it to early for a beer or what?

Goodbye Champ, we wish you well on your new adventure show em over there 'how we do', yeh, best of Kiwi luck to you GOOOOO!!!! THE MIGHTY MIGHTY LAZ!!!!!! to you lot in the States, you better look after our boy hes one of our favorite sons and he means the world to us Kiwis, enjoy him......

Cheers Iraklis

7 minutes ago, Iraklis said:

Spike mate, it's enough to drive yuh to drink :( gunna leave big hole in the open racin ranks, we (Kiwis) just lost 'one bloody big gun', still no word on AllStars site......is it to early for a beer or what?

Goodbye Champ, we wish you well on your new adventure show em over there 'how we do', yeh, best of Kiwi luck to you GOOOOO!!!! THE MIGHTY MIGHTY LAZ!!!!!! to you lot in the States, you better look after our boy hes one of our favorite sons and he means the world to us Kiwis, enjoy him......

Cheers Iraklis

Yes surprising nothing on the website - they are usually so up to date - imagine they are a little gutted as well - money can't buy what he achieved for them and for us fans 

45 minutes ago, Spikecity said:

Yes surprising nothing on the website - they are usually so up to date - imagine they are a little gutted as well - money can't buy what he achieved for them and for us fans 

Yes they will be gutted - tough part of training to lose horses when sold etc etc. Wonder if their training contract gives them 10% of sale price ???

29 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Yes they will be gutted - tough part of training to lose horses when sold etc etc. Wonder if their training contract gives them 10% of sale price ???

You would think with the amount of money he has made for all concerned ,the owners would have been generous to Purdon . Considering the horse may not have climbed to the same heights under someone else's tutorlidge,  Mark Purdon deserves to be rewarded for bringing us arguably the best horse to stick its neck through a bridle since my days of Young Quinn. And that's saying something. 

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

You would think with the amount of money he has made for all concerned ,the owners would have been generous to Purdon . Considering the horse may not have climbed to the same heights under someone else's tutorlidge,  Mark Purdon deserves to be rewarded for bringing us arguably the best horse to stick its neck through a bridle since my days of Young Quinn. And that's saying something. 

I hear you GD but if they get 10% they are royally rewarded, as they have already been paid training fees and %'s all the way through.

In fact I would say 10% is too much actually playing devils advocate, even though that seems to be the industry understanding. Anyone know if Purdon's have a written contract with owners in this regard ?

And note I am not picking on them in any way as I believe their results are amazing. Rather I have yet to have personally been told by a trainer going in that 10% is payable on sale B)

4 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

I hear you GD but if they get 10% they are royally rewarded, as they have already been paid training fees and %'s all the way through.

In fact I would say 10% is too much actually playing devils advocate, even though that seems to be the industry understanding. Anyone know if Purdon's have a written contract with owners in this regard ?

And note I am not picking on them in any way as I believe their results are amazing. Rather I have yet to have personally been told by a trainer going in that 10% is payable on sale B)

Hi Col,

To put my two bobs worth in.

The general unkind feelings voiced on here when Christen Me left for the U.S.,  the owners were greedy, and should have given him a good home here instead of selling him. Playing Devils advocate then, should not the same apply to Lazarus? What has the horse got to prove? If a fast mile is required, why not time trial at Ashburton?

Just putting another view on things.

Cheers.

Robert.

9 minutes ago, Double R said:

Hi Col,

To put my two bobs worth in.

The general unkind feelings voiced on here when Christen Me left for the U.S.,  the owners were greedy, and should have given him a good home here instead of selling him. Playing Devils advocate then, should not the same apply to Lazarus? What has the horse got to prove? If a fast mile is required, why not time trial at Ashburton?

Just putting another view on things.

Cheers.

Robert.

Interesting discussion point Robert

I was thinking myself this morning what would be my plans if I owned him.

$3.8M stake money between the owners to date less racing costs  (3 or 4 owners isnt it ?)  Could I live with racing him around Australasia again - with any luck wins another Cup and a few features around the joint  - probably another $1M (less significant costs trans tasman obviously). Then retire him to stud locally via sale or JV etc..... or do it now...

Or pocket the $4M (?) and see him shipped off overseas and have no further involvement or ability to influence his treatment etc.

Not straight forward and I respect their right to decide. Christen Me felt a bit different given his age - but still their call.

27 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

Who owns this horse, surely they have the last say and what they say goes!

Hi Chris,

Of course they do Chris. We just like to have out loud discussions at times about our thoughts and ponderings.

Cheers.

Robert.

DoubleR, I think re ChristenMe by some was considered a done force, a gelding and he was alot older at time of sale etc, The Laz is not only still in his prime and at the top of his game but a stallion prospect to boot, his future regardless is to be alot brighter, there's the rub....I believe he could've run a good time here as well, and gawd I would've loved to see him crack the MMile, the one that got away :D geezuz I'm glad I went and saw him race last time in......

Still his owners have decided to give him his shot on the world stage, power to them :) I hope he rips right into it and shows them over there what we've had the pleasure of seein here......

Cheers Iraklis

Im pretty sure Purdon would have had some say in this decision. Just as Cran's owners decided to sell CM and BOL to the states although in the latters case im not 100% it was a unanimous decision. Both have won there new connections a few $$$$$$$ so perhaps the question to owners of a good horse in NZ is why not race it yourself in USA.

The other issue is with all the horses mentioned in multiple ownership interests its always going to be a tough call as to what to do.

2 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

Who owns this horse, surely they have the last say and what they say goes!

An American consortium  own him now, so its tilting at windmills , second guessing the reason. 

A big gamble and risk by anyone's standards for a Southern Hemi horse bound for a sires career in the North. 

4 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

An American consortium  own him now, so its tilting at windmills , second guessing the reason. 

A big gamble and risk by anyone's standards for a Southern Hemi horse bound for a sires career in the North. 

Everything in racing is a gamble Globe. Circa USD 2.5 mio is nothing to those guys IMHO