RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mike dallas

Funding

Racing clubs were rocked with the news on Wednesday that forecast funding from the New Zealand Racing Board to thoroughbred, harness and greyhound codes will be cut by between $NZ5 million and $6NZ million this season.

The board had hoped to return $NZ132 million to the codes, but that was now more likely to be $NZ127 million-$NZ128 million, board chief executive Andrew Brown told delegates to the New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing annual conference in Wellington.

The continuing bite of the recession had hindered the TAB's turnover, particularly on domestic racing which was 11.5 per cent down on budget for the year to date, he said.

While the TAB had enjoyed a good Melbourne Cup day, punters did not spend up at Cup week in Christchurch, despite good crowds. Off-course revenue was down noticeably for the week.

"Activity on the tote reflects ... a reduction in the amount people are spending per bet," Brown said. "The October GST rise did not help us either."

The number of bets with a $100 spend or more was down 15 per cent, he said.

The board was doing well with fixed odds betting and revenue from showing its races overseas and would continue its efforts to drive revenue up, but the next couple of months would be crucial as far as domestic tote turnover went, he said.

The board would soon start a promotion pushing its exotic bets such as trifectas and first fours which had higher takeout rate, giving the TAB a bigger return.

While it would continue its attempts to drive revenue some of its plans, such as refitting its TAB agencies, would be delayed.

But it would push ahead with its Helix betting engine, with a phased introduction starting in April.

The thoroughbred body reacted to the forecast cut by chopping the riding fees it pays for its lower-graded "free" meetings, a saving of $NZ1.5m.

NZTR chairman Guy Sargent described the forecast funding cut as a big shock, and said most of it would have to be dealt with in its funding model for the 2011-12 season.

"We are still a long way out, we could get a really good Christmas and we might get back, but at this stage it is not positive," he said.

NZTR would continue to push for all-weather synthetic tracks but whether the racing board would see it as a spending priority was not clear, Sargent said.

I see in our local paper this morning the RIB payout is to be reduced by several million dollars due to the reduction in betting and a reduction in stakes across the board is to follow.

This is not a surprise

Anyone in the industry knows reduced stake money is just a formality ( just how far will it go)

All these extra costs for BIGWIG Salarys and reduced service and greediness from the TAB have contributed

I see this bludging overpaid Pom Andrew Brown is going to push exotic betting as this returns more to the TAB. Get your useless head out of your proverbial Andrew, your thieving high takeout rates on the exotics is precisely why turnovers are nose diving, NOTHING TO DO WITH A DEPRESSION.

Racing clubs were rocked with the news on Wednesday that forecast funding from the New Zealand Racing Board to thoroughbred, harness and greyhound codes will be cut by between $NZ5 million and $6NZ million this season.

The board had hoped to return $NZ132 million to the codes, but that was now more likely to be $NZ127 million-$NZ128 million, board chief executive Andrew Brown told delegates to the New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing annual conference in Wellington.

The continuing bite of the recession had hindered the TAB's turnover, particularly on domestic racing which was 11.5 per cent down on budget for the year to date, he said.

While the TAB had enjoyed a good Melbourne Cup day, punters did not spend up at Cup week in Christchurch, despite good crowds. Off-course revenue was down noticeably for the week.

"Activity on the tote reflects ... a reduction in the amount people are spending per bet," Brown said. "The October GST rise did not help us either."

The number of bets with a $100 spend or more was down 15 per cent, he said.

The board was doing well with fixed odds betting and revenue from showing its races overseas and would continue its efforts to drive revenue up, but the next couple of months would be crucial as far as domestic tote turnover went, he said.

The board would soon start a promotion pushing its exotic bets such as trifectas and first fours which had higher takeout rate, giving the TAB a bigger return.

While it would continue its attempts to drive revenue some of its plans, such as refitting its TAB agencies, would be delayed.

But it would push ahead with its Helix betting engine, with a phased introduction starting in April.

The thoroughbred body reacted to the forecast cut by chopping the riding fees it pays for its lower-graded "free" meetings, a saving of $NZ1.5m.

NZTR chairman Guy Sargent described the forecast funding cut as a big shock, and said most of it would have to be dealt with in its funding model for the 2011-12 season.

"We are still a long way out, we could get a really good Christmas and we might get back, but at this stage it is not positive," he said.

NZTR would continue to push for all-weather synthetic tracks but whether the racing board would see it as a spending priority was not clear, Sargent said.

our south island policy dosent help either i wish some people get there head out of the sand and do something about it stead of going around with there eyes closed

I see this bludging overpaid Pom Andrew Brown is going to push exotic betting as this returns more to the TAB. Get your useless head out of your proverbial Andrew, your thieving high takeout rates on the exotics is precisely why turnovers are nose diving, NOTHING TO DO WITH A DEPRESSION.

My prediction for Greyhound Racing for the next 20 years with these Chimps at the helm

1. Stake Money and Turnover Keeps dropping

2. Less Trainers and dogs, which will result in Clubs not being able to Run full cards

3. 1 or 2 more tracks to close down

4 Less Race Meetings

5. Greyhound Racing at a Professional level will be fazed out in NZ.

sorry otago but come on south island have a look at the fields for tuesday now I know not many got to the races and why would you with these fields I dont even think you could encourage people to turn on there t.v.s let a lone place a bet.Have a good look at what this policy is doing to the south island and then ask your self why soon your stakes may go down.

sorry otago but come on south island have a look at the fields for tuesday now I know not many got to the races and why would you with these fields I dont even think you could encourage people to turn on there t.v.s let a lone place a bet.Have a good look at what this policy is doing to the south island and then ask your self why soon your stakes may go down.

wasnt it your local club (chch) and 0ne public trainer idea to have this pathetic policy

wasnt it your local club (chch) and 0ne public trainer idea to have this pathetic policy

sure doesnt help turnover as i see turnover is down 11.5 on local nz product

its was only a trial for 2months but some how is has continued for much longer with out a vote or anything.Just like to point out for anyone unaware I was,and still am dead against it.Having dogs that can preform and have preformed being the 9 or 10 or not even making the field, just seems unfair. I wonder how the north island or the cd would take it if the same policey was brought in?

its was only a trial for 2months but some how is has continued for much longer with out a vote or anything.Just like to point out for anyone unaware I was,and still am dead against it.Having dogs that can preform and have preformed being the 9 or 10 or not even making the field, just seems unfair. I wonder how the north island or the cd would take it if the same policey was brought in?

i agree with you johnny pehaps its time for a formal vote to see if the majority of trainers are in favour of this policy .pehaps the trainers rep could get onto this lol???????? bless you son

I think its an attempt to dumb down the racing to such a low level that even the most compulsive gambler will flinch when surveying the fields. This of course will have the effect of lowering turnover, which in turn will result in lower stake money. Our administrators have really excelled on this one. Take a bow boys, its even better than Fonganuis reverse selection critera where they have the worst performing dogs as a feature race. This Sth Is policy encompasses the entire card. Whatever happened to form.

Yeah John, it seems quantity over quality as I wrote in another thread is the priority. I believe this is the biggest thing that is costing them. Nearly every punter I know thinks there is too much racing and would rather have quality any day. With more time to bet people spend more and that's a start to reversing the cycle.

depends on how you look at it Caution,if you ever had the misfortune to train a dog or two in Otago the way things were you never got a start at Forbury.it was like being on an unofficial blacklist,the Sth Island selection policy is like a godsend to local Otago and Southland trainers being able to start a dog at Forbury and to be able to get enough form to get a start next time,when greyhound racing first started in Otago there were many owner trainers, presently with dogs racing there is only one that I can think of,however there are some young dogs waiting to get started.We dont need to return to the dim dark days of the recent past where you only got a start if there were insuficiant nominations from the Canterbury area and the present Otago committee are fostering trainers in thier own area,on one occasion years ago when I was on the field selection committee at Otago the fields having been selected with all Canterbury dogs and not one Otago or Southland dog selected

one panel member went bererk with the result that all the fields were redrawn and all Otago and Southland dogs were included into the fields. the turnover for that meeting was the largest for the club that season. How do you explain that Caution,it would take a pathetic person to see such a brilliant selecton policy as pathetic.'"what happened to form"" to get form you have to first get a start,"""Theres a hole in the bucket"""""

depends on how you look at it Caution,if you ever had the misfortune to train a dog or two in Otago the way things were you never got a start at Forbury.it was like being on an unofficial blacklist,the Sth Island selection policy is like a godsend to local Otago and Southland trainers being able to start a dog at Forbury and to be able to get enough form to get a start next time,when greyhound racing first started in Otago there were many owner trainers, presently with dogs racing there is only one that I can think of,however there are some young dogs waiting to get started.We dont need to return to the dim dark days of the recent past where you only got a start if there were insuficiant nominations from the Canterbury area and the present Otago committee are fostering trainers in thier own area,on one occasion years ago when I was on the field selection committee at Otago the fields having been selected with all Canterbury dogs and not one Otago or Southland dog selected

one panel member went bererk with the result that all the fields were redrawn and all Otago and Southland dogs were included into the fields. the turnover for that meeting was the largest for the club that season. How do you explain that Caution,it would take a pathetic person to see such a brilliant selecton policy as pathetic.'"what happened to form"" to get form you have to first get a start,"""Theres a hole in the bucket"""""

Well put Murry irrespective of opinions of those that have ready made racing in Christchurch twice a week, if greyhounds are too continue in the South then the policy has too work for those most effected by The Southern Owners and Trainers. I ask you this reverse your situation Johnny and others and look at it from small local Owners Trainers perspective I realise you have responsibility too your owners to race their greyhounds when and where you CHOOSE the keyword is CHOICE they dont have that CHOICE without the policy as it stands. cheers Jim

A meeting was held some time ago at Southland with trainers and there was 1 only vote for change.

I do understand a little about the form, but I must admit, seeing the same dogs going around every meeting does not help turnover either, a lot of dogs are overraced and and this system maybe gives them an enforced short letup.

Go through all the stipes reports and look at injuries from dogs that have had a lot of racing in a short amount of time ( mostly 520m races)

At the end of the day this system gives dogs the opportunity to race once a week.

It is important that the small trainers have the opportunity to run there dogs because they are important to this industry, and more important than greedy trainers moaning about missing double nominations all the time.

I think its an attempt to dumb down the racing to such a low level that even the most compulsive gambler will flinch when surveying the fields. This of course will have the effect of lowering turnover, which in turn will result in lower stake money. Our administrators have really excelled on this one. Take a bow boys, its even better than Fonganuis reverse selection critera where they have the worst performing dogs as a feature race. This Sth Is policy encompasses the entire card. Whatever happened to form.

Everybody deserves the opportunity too get form John as you must be realising with your own dogs recently and this is a chance for the small battler who cant get a start to hopefully improve the sitution they may be in re form cheers Jim

A meeting was held some time ago at Southland with trainers and there was 1 only vote for change.

I do understand a little about the form, but I must admit, seeing the same dogs going around every meeting does not help turnover either, a lot of dogs are overraced and and this system maybe gives them an enforced short letup.

Go through all the stipes reports and look at injuries from dogs that have had a lot of racing in a short amount of time ( mostly 520m races)

At the end of the day this system gives dogs the opportunity to race once a week.

It is important that the small trainers have the opportunity to run there dogs because they are important to this industry, and more important than greedy trainers moaning about missing double nominations all the time.

Seems so cheers Jim

Fair statement Murry.Murry people live where they live and that is there choice to make a policy to help people stay in the area and race in the area seems fair at face value,Im not saying dont have a policy,im just saying this one is not a good one.If you want to go back in the day,think not long ago when even travling trainers could not even get a c0 545 or get a start with a 1st starter! they would not put on a race.Now we have races with dogs with 30 odd starts with no wins and very few placings getting a start before a dog with 2 starts for two 2nds? Is that right?.I do agree you have to have a start to get form and also a dog may take a few runs to show his/her worth on the race track,How ever there is a point where enough may be enough and when it is stoping a dog that people want to see with spend a bit on it would help in all areas of the game.I think if you want to have a policy it be,

If you nominate for chch, otago or southland and dont get a start where there is a race in the correct grade on two occasions the next start you gain entrie to the field ahead of dogs with the worst form,So you pick the fields on correct form but the special prf dogs will go in 1st this should then only put 1,2,3, dogs with no or little form in and the dogs with the form should still get a fair go.?

Well put Murry irrespective of opinions of those that have ready made racing in Christchurch twice a week, if greyhounds are too continue in the South then the policy has too work for those most effected by The Southern Owners and Trainers. I ask you this reverse your situation Johnny and others and look at it from small local Owners Trainers perspective I realise you have responsibility too your owners to race their greyhounds when and where you CHOOSE the keyword is CHOICE they dont have that CHOICE without the policy as it stands. cheers Jim

Thats the thing jim im thinking of the small trainer that now can not be bothered going all the way down to southland or otago with 1 or 2 dogs when if they picked on form they would have 5 or 6.If you want to stick to the policy then could the tab offer odds on who will run last on these tuesday meetings.Before anyone says anything we do have dogs at these tuesday meeting.Jim they do have a choice to come to chch we use to see the deep south trainers traveling to chch this is not happening any more why? because they have it made they dont have to have form they just have to put on the race.

Funny thing that tippy HOLD UP LETS HAVE A MEETING DOWN SOUTH? TUESDAY,WHO HERE IS IN FAV OF KEEPING THE POLICY ?Of couse everyone down there and the people who are and still travling,that have dogs in are going to agree its the people that were not there that would vote for change!

Thats the thing jim im thinking of the small trainer that now can not be bothered going all the way down to southland or otago with 1 or 2 dogs when if they picked on form they would have 5 or 6.If you want to stick to the policy then could the tab offer odds on who will run last on these tuesday meetings.Before anyone says anything we do have dogs at these tuesday meeting.Jim they do have a choice to come to chch we use to see the deep south trainers traveling to chch this is not happening any more why? because they have it made they dont have to have form they just have to put on the race.

I must agree with you on the bigger kennels from the South dont travel to christchurch with their better dogs much if at all these days and surely they could but they dont i get ya point. I cant see if before the first race at the two Southern clubs they dont run non tote races even one would help alleviate some of the area of your concern . Just an Idea cheers Jim