RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Insider

Ellerslie drainage work, currently taking place

I presume that the work has started, that is the lateral drains. Has anyone been out to see how far they have got? We would all love an update, so if you have seen the progress to date, please share it. 

Liz

That Ellerslie are doing this work now without regard to the needs of the wider galloping code is symptomatic of the problems within racing.

Like it or not this is the premier track in NZ and they should be installing a Strathayr track or similar. Ellerslie needs to be in a position to race every 2nd weekend and it’s unlikely this work will achieve this.

The topography of the track and nature of the substrata creates inconsistencies,the pic shown by the crossing at the ‘Hill’ shows this clearly on what you would expect to be one of the more well drained sections on the course. For mine I would of run these drains diagonally across the track particularly in areas of camber.The method used on some ?? of the branch lines not exactly by the book ,I spose if it’s an existing pipe or an afterthought your cheaper options are limited, not sure what they are using above and around the scoria to stop particles in the soil and how deep the turf is above it’s highest point particularly before the grass roots in but the balance between effective and troublesome can be a fine line in this regard .All said and done it has 7137FF58-92BE-4914-AB9D-9898ECCA4883.pngto be an improvement regardless 

You can’t escape inconsistencies regardless nO ? You just want to avoid having slow 7 and heavy 11s on the same racetrack,they have enough issues with the penetrometer as it is .You use the penetrometer at your place Von?

5 hours ago, Insider said:

Kevt, thanks for posting the photo. 

How far around the course have they got with the lateral drains and has the circular one that they drain into been done yet? 

Cheers

Drains were done all way down straight as I could see  in my early morning travels from front of members stand...not sure about anything else 

1 hour ago, 100 1 said:

Ok ...I get it... to remove excess water created by irrigation?

Not really, unless they forgot to turn off the feed? You would assume they are irrigating as a result of a lack of water Hundy nO ?