poundforpound

If Messara really is The Messiah

81 posts in this topic

Will he be telling the big studs ( that are allegedly backing him in this Racing review ) which stallions to buy next year, given that NZ stallions are falling behind Australia, and most of the NZ 2yo races and sprints seem to be being won by Australian bred horses.

Just a thought given that Arrowfield has a great stallion line up, arguably one single farm that’d leave this entire countries breeding operations for dead.

Most would agree surely, if he’s going to meddle in racing he may as well sort the breeding industry out too. :) 

2 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Will he be telling the big studs ( that are allegedly backing him in this Racing review ) which stallions to buy next year, given that NZ stallions are falling behind Australia, and most of the NZ 2yo races and sprints seem to be being won by Australian bred horses.

Just a thought given that Arrowfield has a great stallion line up, arguably one single farm that’d leave this entire countries breeding operations for dead.

Most would agree surely, if he’s going to meddle in racing he may as well sort the breeding industry out too. :) 

Arrowfield announced champion stallion Redoute's Choice will serve a limited book of mares at $137,500.

Arrowfield stalion roster and fees for 2018 are;

SNITZEL (Redoute's Choice-Snippets' Lass) $220,000
REDOUTE'S CHOICE (Danehill- Shantha's Choice) $137,500
NOT A SINGLE DOUBT (Redoute's Choice-Singles Bar) $99,000
MAURICE (JPN) (Screen Hero-Mejiro Frances) $33,000
SHALAA (IRE) (Invincible Spirit-Ghurra) $33,000
(IT’S A) DUNDEEL (NZ) (High Chaparral-Stareel) $27,500
PARIAH - (Redoute's Choice-Secluded) $22,000
REAL IMPACT (JPN) (Deep Impact-Tokio Reality) $19,250
OLYMPIC GLORY (IRE) (Choisir-Acidanthera) $16,500
SCISSOR KICK (Redoute's Choice-Back Pass) $16,500
MIKKI ISLE (JPN) (Deep Impact-Star Isle) $13,750

2 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Leo,  please let me remind you, there is NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING inferior about the NZ bred racehorse....the fault, if that is the right word, lies elsewhere....and I’m not a Kiwi... but I’m backing the Kiwi racehorse all the way! 

I see Allen, Saundry, Rennell and Barsi are on with Michael Guerin on Trackside this Thursday at 11am.

Topics of discussion are Costs, the Messara Report and the Minister of Racing......should be interesting.....:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

I see Allen, Saundry, Rennell and Barsi are on with Michael Guerin on Trackside this Thursday at 11am.

Topics of discussion are Costs, the Messara Report and the Minister of Racing......should be interesting.....:rolleyes:

Who is watching at 11 am Thursday morning ?

3 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Which ones do you suggest that he send over?

I’ll be recording it. It will be interesting to dissect the spin coming from the leaders. I’ve got a feeling they will be on the offensive justifying the strategic direction that the NZRB are taking, ie race fields legislation, FOB platform and all the extra millions that these and other initiatives that they are putting in place will return to the various codes.

I wonder if Mr Messara will be recording it as well?

Guerin will just toe the party line so keep your expectations low.

Dogs will just smile because they’re doing so well at the moment.

Harness and TB will be squealing but given that Saundry seems to have done nothing useful yet Allen will easily swat him away with stats and figures.

Allen is plausible and clever, and he’s got a great brain on him.

What they should have done of course is sit Allen down with a decent strong panel of say Chittick ( I like seeing him eviscerated because he’s loud but he’s not clever enough for JA ) and some smarties like Dean McKenzie, maybe me ( I wouldn’t do it but I have got the best brain in NZ Racing ), then you’d get the right questions being asked so that those who “put on the show” get to understand how all the pieces of the jigsaw fit together, and attribute the blame for our demise accurately ( if it matters our major clubs and NZTR are entirely responsible for our predicament but they don’t like anyone exposing the truth.)

5 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

That's what the record button is for....:rolleyes:

Everyone, hit the record button now, as the schedule for Thursday at 11.00am is now available. 

(Yesterday it wasn’t.)

3 hours ago, Insider said:

Everyone, hit the record button now, as the schedule for Thursday at 11.00am is now available. 

(Yesterday it wasn’t.)

If the right questions were asked. It'd be as entertaining as watching The Big Bang Theory. But New Zealand comedy has never been on the same scale....

I think that referring to JM is the "Messiah" is wrong. All he will be is "The Messenger" and he will deliver his message, as requested, without media comment as to its contents, to the Minister for Racing. It will then be in the Ministers hands to either plant his arse on it or act upon it. The fact that he has engaged Messara shows two things IMHO. Firstly, he has absolutely no confidence that the current Regime or setup have any idea what to do - other than status quo and bullshit. Hence Messara. Secondly, he will act upon all the recommendations (if allowed by the PM) and leave a Legacy (finally!) that he may be proud of. Without it, he we go down as a waffler, a mirror gazer and a "What did he achieve?" Minister. I hope he goes for it. All we then need is for people like BarryB to acknowledge that an Aussie came up with the medicine for NZ Racing. It might be hard medicine for BB to swallow - but what choice when you're on the death bed? Qld is in similar but slightly better shape and Brendan Parnell might just be the saviour!

1 hour ago, Trump said:

With the appointment of Messara, I still can't fathom why more NZTR/NZRB personnel haven't resigned? Surely it's a "No Confidence" move by Winston? 

My excellent political contacts tell me the well soaked one is just buying time as he has to do something to appease his pay masters.

They say he’ll get the Messara report and start the whole process again spinning it out for two and a half years until the next election.

Winston’s problem ( one of many ) is that no matter what he’s agreed to in the coalition with that big spending minority celebrity crowd he can’t get The Greens to play ball as they’re outside of the coalition arrangement, and they don’t support racing in principle.

In the meantime James Shaw is said to be contemplating a centre right “teal deal” which further complicates matters. 

This is just politics and nothing constructive or useful is likely to come of it, other than a few resignations as National aligned appointments are shifted on and replaced by those favoured by Labour and Winnie the fish.

Surely Winston doesn't need the Greens....why would the red opposition not support something which may help the industry...I realise they sat on their hands for 9 years but surely if McKelvie is to be believed then they have the best interests of the industry at heart

Attention all NZ young trainers. AQUIS Farm intend to develop Gold Coast Track as a State of Art Training and Racing precinct. Eagle Farm has state of the art training facilities (no vacancies), Caloundra is a top set-up, Murwillumbah, etc. :) 

my two bob's worth

1. The current Labour/NZ First coalition will be around for 2 x 3 year terms

2. Altering/amending the Racing Act takes effort that, most likely, this coalition doesn't want a bar of so therefore Messara's recommendations need to be structured such that they'll work within the existing legislative framework 

3. To effect change in direction/strategy there needs to be a majority vote at the Board level to approve such change

4. The 7 member Board consists of an Independent Chair, 3 independent members ( which, thus far, have been patsy appointees in that they have lacked true independence)  and a member each from the three racing codes. 

5. One Independent Member has already resigned leaving a Board of 6 only including the Chair and therefore they hold a majority vote to continue with the status quo/ JA's plan.

6 .Until such time as the existing Chair and the two remaining  independent members alter, nothing will change

7. Given the rules around being able to make these three personnel changes, it's doubtful there'll be any real change prior to 2019

1 hour ago, drewandjo said:

Surely Winston doesn't need the Greens....why would the red opposition not support something which may help the industry...I realise they sat on their hands for 9 years but surely if McKelvie is to be believed then they have the best interests of the industry at heart

Do you seriously think the Nats will ever support the bitter old ( rhymes with James Hunt ) given his behaviour in successive coalitions with Bolger and Shipley, and the way he behaved again this time !!

They must absolutely fucking hate him and they’d love nothing more than to see this shit show turn to custard, as it will  

7 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

my two bob's worth

1. The current Labour/NZ First coalition will be around for 2 x 3 year terms

2. Altering/amending the Racing Act takes effort that, most likely coalition, this  doesn't want a bar of so therefore Messara's recommendations need to be structured such that they'll work within the existing legislative framework 

3. To effect change in direction/strategy there needs to be a majority vote at the Board level to approve such change

4. The 7 member Board consists of an Independent Chair, 3 independent members ( which, thus far, have been patsy appointees lacking true independence)  and a member each from the three codes. 

5. One Independent Member has already resigned leaving currently a Board of 6 only including the Chair. 

6 .Until such time as the existing Chair and the two remaining  independent members alter, nothing will change

7. Given the rules around making these three personnel changes, it's doubtful we'll see any real change prior to 2019

Fuck me, a bloke who knows his stuff....surely you shouldn’t be on Cafe !!!

31 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

The detritus you’re fraternising with elsewhere could hardly be described as either intelligent or informed, and we all know about fleas and dogs 

Not bad, for you. But of course of the about 2000 species of flea, only one can live on humans. I like those odds better than the ones of Messara's report having any effect on the industry due to the political machinations described above by Eclipsed.