RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
weasel57

pronunciation guide

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t English our first language in this country, with Maori a second official language.

I don’t mind a bit of French, or whatever, but near enough is good enough if it’s not your first languge.

It’s a bit like a restaurant having a fromagerie versus a chessery......one name seems snobbish, the other practical. I’d be the letter all day every day, say what you are, keep it simple and strip away the bullshit.

yes close enough is good enough but Ah-shin aint even close p4p!

A year or so back poor George was havin' understandable difficulty with Saiorse (sir-sha)

Is the owner Asian? When you consider Niamh is pronounced Neve I guess you just have to go with it. Have to agree though that some of the name pronunciation by commentators leaves a bit to be desired. Alternatively, some of the names are bloody diabolical too.

We were told that you can approach the race caller prior to the running if you need to clarify the pronunciation of your horse/dog providing you are the owner, trainer or syndicate manager.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:08 PM, barryb said:

George made comment to this thread and said he had spoken to the owner and the way he is calling it is how the owner said to say it.

Then perhaps NZTR or whoever should insist that all new names registered are accompanied by a pronunciation guide...maybe the owner should have spelled it Ahshin and we'd all be better off. The devil in me suggests I should register a horse with the spelling W I N X and tell the caller on raceday that its pronounced FAR-LAP.

16 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Or that former Sanders trained Piston.(crown law....meneo) 

Only mention the breeding as it's one of the few i know without racking my brain all day and all night.

there was one while backe called Piston Broke