RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Sheriff

Where are they now, "Person of Interest"??

How is this for a field of Southern men/boys?

N. Ridley, S Allen, M Lawson, D Adams, B Shaw, J Pankhurst, A K Robinson, G Wright, T Wright, R McAra, M Casey, J Dowling, D Sanderson, G Sanderson, C Rammage, G Heaton.

Must be more from this era that I have omitted.

....MPCraig,MKennedy,TGye,WGye,JFCarvahlo,BJGore,TGore,BNicholls,PSilver,MFDowling,EOBrien,JCappie,DNHadfield,RNMarsh,ELowry,NHarnett,LCasey...others like BPKennedy,ROCairns,GMee SPrince,SCrutchley!! EWinsloe turned to training while ATweedie ,AKR ,the Didhams,the Collets and the Andertons and of course the Skeltons forged out useful careers.

And what ever became of ARTelfer !!!!

....MPCraig,MKennedy,TGye,WGye,JFCarvahlo,BJGore,TGore,BNicholls,PSilver,MFDowling,EOBrien,JCappie,DNHadfield,RNMarsh,ELowry,NHarnett,LCasey...others like BPKennedy,ROCairns,GMee SPrince,SCrutchley!! EWinsloe turned to training while ATweedie ,AKR ,the Didhams,the Collets and the Andertons and of course the Skeltons forged out useful careers.

Andrew Telfer is married to a school teacher in Perth,they have a couple of girls.He is a Gib Stopper.They still live in Perth

Another one....John Coulter [Doc] he used to clip around the Flemington stables in the 80's......was a trainer in Stratford back in the 70's and a good one too. I think he trained for Ansford and had Brittanicus/Coppernicus just to name a few. This one for the oldies on here....go Ted!

Yeah,I helped out JC when training for Bill Ansford,up the road from Freddy Cleavers.He also rode a few winners for Ansford,especially at Stratford meetings.I think JC took over from Jimmy Didham,a terrific bloke himself.Ansford was a hard man,I think he only had a couple of friends,his wife and whisky.

Yeah,I helped out JC when training for Bill Ansford,up the road from Freddy Cleavers.He also rode a few winners for Ansford,especially at Stratford meetings.I think JC took over from Jimmy Didham,a terrific bloke himself.Ansford was a hard man,I think he only had a couple of friends,his wife and whisky.

Thanks MYK......Jim Didham? whatever happened to him? I finished my apprenticeship with him in 71. He brought a couple over here to race [AUS] Hyperbole, Four Leaf, Holiday Wynn just to name a few! They all won!....he dropped off the radar shortly after. I did see him in Otaki in the early 80's but I think even then he was not training. Mick as well? I think Les is the only one standing? correct me if I'm wrong....thanks!

Thanks MYK......Jim Didham? whatever happened to him? I finished my apprenticeship with him in 71. He brought a couple over here to race [AUS] Hyperbole, Four Leaf, Holiday Wynn just to name a few! They all won!....he dropped off the radar shortly after. I did see him in Otaki in the early 80's but I think even then he was not training. Mick as well? I think Les is the only one standing? correct me if I'm wrong....thanks!

I believe Jims son Peter,is course manager(stand to be corrected)at Awapuni or Otaki.I last saw Jimmy around the same time as yourself,but sure someone will know.

I see G Heaton evey year at the start of every winter He comes down from Paihia where he owns a couple of businesses has a few beers with myself and Bernie Potts over a couple of days he parks his car on my back lawn and he heads to Australia usually and still works with the horses when abroad Usually for G Rogerson but this year went to G Waterhouse then returns for the summer months when things are warmer A real good bloke and a top rider of his day

Uncle Graham as I know him, Denis to others, is living in Christchurch, playing bowls now as his main sport of competition - which he is very useful.

Spends his time between ChCh and gold Coast in winter - with some trips to China for arts and crafts and culture.

Used to ride for the Wilsons in Timaru, and has written a book about his exploits and the racing scene in the south at the time called "only Winners please".

Spoke to Jimmy Didham at the Awapuni Hotel last January.

Was down there with Heat Haze who won the Marton Cup.

Hasn't changed much..bit fatter..bit older..

Arent we all??

Still got a headful of hair,swished back?

Cut it out,even you could have ridden Sow Gate,even M Craig did,and he didn't bolt 2 rounds afer winning a race on Shifnal Something.

I believe the horse was called Shifnal Chief. Cant remember how trained it but he used to drive a big old yank tank. Chevy Bel Air or something like that.

Couple of others from that era down south, Bruce Laking (Jason's Dad) and Chris Ruthven ( both apprenticed to Ray Pankhurst with Trevor Wright,(Heard he passed away several years ago). PJ (Peter) Kent(Sam Shaw) Alan Morton(Tex) rode for Bill Hillis

Shifnal King, couldn't pull a chop off a greasy plate, rode it myself a few times.

Tex Kenneally?? trained it

Thats the one. Ramage wasnt buggered he was too small and weak to carry the large saddle he had to use to make the weight.

.....GWWright,MThornley,RMcCann,LexHare,EGLow plus a couple of younger bros,LTree,TMcKeweon,GDobbs,SHawthorne,OAnningWHastie,AHastie,GBlair,Lee x2,Collins,LBJPoblete, while more trainers in DFrye,SWoodsford and SLaming.

And a bit earlier AJTStokes,CTWilson,CMcDonald,BTJones.

Prince of them all tho was CandyBoyMorton !!!!!

And northerners seldom ventured south of Chch in those days but I do remember one RDVance going to Invercargill one day and winning the main race on one of EWinsloes Flight horses.

.....GWWright,MThornley,RMcCann,LexHare,EGLow plus a couple of younger bros,LTree,TMcKeweon,GDobbs,SHawthorne,OAnningWHastie,AHastie,GBlair,Lee x2,Collins,LBJPoblete, while more trainers in DFrye,SWoodsford and SLaming.

And a bit earlier AJTStokes,CTWilson,CMcDonald,BTJones.

Prince of them all tho was CandyBoyMorton !!!!!

And northerners seldom ventured south of Chch in those days but I do remember one RDVance going to Invercargill one day and winning the main race on one of EWinsloes Flight horses.

G Lee - remember him sheriff / midget used to live up by Nancy's if I remember correctly!

G Lee - remember him sheriff / midget used to live up by Nancy's if I remember correctly!

Correct,but he has seen he light and now lives on the West Coast of the SI and like most of us,has had a couple of goes at that thing called Marriage/Love.

Von you must be around our era,who the hell are you???????,E Mail me,as my Lips Are Sealed.

Daryl do you remember Bill Brown, a bit of a lad about town, a young blade from the early 70's who was often seen with the late John Smithers.

Whatever happened to him?

zzz, I dont remember Bill Brown.

Someone I think of whenever the subject of Racecourse Detectives come up is one Ken Sampson. Is the old bastard still alive?

I know you have to move on but in answer to your question I hope the prick suffered a miserable life and/or death, he deserved it.

I have the Bill Brown info, he ended up being an antique dealer up the Wairarapa way according to Des Coppins and is apparently still in good health.

He hung out with NGH and John Smithers in the old Triumph Stag days, when you frequented the Royal Oak bottom bar, sans Joan!!

Talking of the Royal Oak do you remember those fantastic parties in Derek Freear's suite on the top floor held every Trentham Sales/Wellington Cup Carnival?

I recall quite a few of the revellers who attended, many of whom read Race Cafe today.

Who else remembers those days or has a tell to tell?