Huey

New Stallions 2018

128 posts in this topic

Was lucky enough to see Time Test on consecutive visits to the UK...in the stables at Roger Charlton at Beckhampton and then saw him win the Joel Stakes on the Rowley Mile  -outstanding.  I actually thought at the time he would make a nice stallion for the NZ market....he comes from Juddmonte's best family and is a lovely son of Dubwai....he should be a good horse for all breeders. Good luck to LA Stud....great place to breed and rear horses!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2018 at 11:33 AM, La Zip said:

...great place to breed and rear horses!  

Pity it is at the back of nowhere--big ask shipping mares plus foals so far for many owners, especially if there are issues that need close management and long travel not ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2018 at 11:33 AM, La Zip said:

Was lucky enough to see Time Test on consecutive visits to the UK...in the stables at Roger Charlton at Beckhampton and then saw him win the Joel Stakes on the Rowley Mile  -outstanding.  I actually thought at the time he would make a nice stallion for the NZ market....he comes from Juddmonte's best family and is a lovely son of Dubwai....he should be a good horse for all breeders. Good luck to LA Stud....great place to breed and rear horses!  

Time Test (Dubawi ex Passage of Time (by Dansili))

49950756-C004-4AE3-B6B1-593C5E11F5F3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chevy86 said:

Pity it is at the back of nowhere--big ask shipping mares plus foals so far for many owners, especially if there are issues that need close management and long travel not ideal.

Chevy, I respect what you are saying but in all honesty, the Wairarapa is the perfect place to breed & rear horses.  There are a couple of excellent vets (some of the best I’ve worked with) And if you check out LA’s yearlings at Karaka or Sydney, they more than hold their own.  The warm long summer days have an amazing effect on young horses development and pasture growth is fabulous for those with access to water, and whilst winters are cold and frosty, they, in general, are not as wet as Waikato, therefore negating many of the ongoing foot issues experienced up north.  After all, in the 60s & 70s, some of JBC & TJ’s best performers came from the Wairarapa.  

It may be a bit of a hike down there, but the finished product will be worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Berri said:

A top top top class horse on its way. One of the best horses anywhere will grace our shores

Nice! Cant wait to hear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, La Zip said:

Chevy, I respect what you are saying but in all honesty, the Wairarapa is the perfect place to breed & rear horses.  There are a couple of excellent vets (some of the best I’ve worked with) And if you check out LA’s yearlings at Karaka or Sydney, they more than hold their own.  The warm long summer days have an amazing effect on young horses development and pasture growth is fabulous for those with access to water, and whilst winters are cold and frosty, they, in general, are not as wet as Waikato, therefore negating many of the ongoing foot issues experienced up north.  After all, in the 60s & 70s, some of JBC & TJ’s best performers came from the Wairarapa.  

It may be a bit of a hike down there, but the finished product will be worth it.

Can anyone tell me the approximate costs of travelling a mare from the Waikato to South Island (eg:LA)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Pity it is at the back of nowhere--big ask shipping mares plus foals so far for many owners, especially if there are issues that need close management and long travel not ideal.

Many Sth Island breeders ship their mares and foals up to Waikato & Auckland studs every season without issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, Berri said:

A top top top class horse on its way. One of the best horses anywhere will grace our shores

Completely wishful thinking on my part, but I would like to think it was a certain young Juddmont stallion on the shuttle run to NZ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Huey said:

Mongolian Falcon to Waimate Stud.

Why? 

First of all, standing an ordinary son of Fastnet Rock is just  nonsensical.  Regardless, of his breeding (he is out of a Galileo mare, the most successful cross with FR), confirmation (he is bound to have great confirmation) injury or racetrack performance, why would you?  As I keep reminding people, its taken until the 2018 breeding season for Coolmore to actually stand a son of their "champion" sire....so that in itself is a key indicator of the level of performances to date at stud for well bred, well performed sons of FR. ???????

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, La Zip said:

Why? 

First of all, standing an ordinary son of Fastnet Rock is just  nonsensical.  Regardless, of his breeding (he is out of a Galileo mare, the most successful cross with FR), confirmation (he is bound to have great confirmation) injury or racetrack performance, why would you?  As I keep reminding people, its taken until the 2018 breeding season for Coolmore to actually stand a son of their "champion" sire....so that in itself is a key indicator of the level of performances to date at stud for well bred, well performed sons of FR. ???????

 

 

That's conformation la Zip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, La Zip said:

Why? 

First of all, standing an ordinary son of Fastnet Rock is just  nonsensical.  Regardless, of his breeding (he is out of a Galileo mare, the most successful cross with FR), confirmation (he is bound to have great confirmation) injury or racetrack performance, why would you?  As I keep reminding people, its taken until the 2018 breeding season for Coolmore to actually stand a son of their "champion" sire....so that in itself is a key indicator of the level of performances to date at stud for well bred, well performed sons of FR. ???????

 

 

At a cheap fee for a smallish stud in the South Island he’s got reasonable credentials. Even if sons of Fastnet Rock havent set the world on fire.

Good international family (Galileo/Gone West/Phone Trick) in the damlines, was a winner at 2 and an impressive G2 winner at 3 with the 2nd and 3rd placegetters both being G1 winners and ran a good 2nd in a G2 behind a G1 winner.

Fastnet Rock has been a champion sire himself with 136 stakeswinners and  has produced sons that have sired G1 winners in Hinchinbrook and Foxwedge, and Highly Recommended has done a very handy job from the South Island from a low fee, so some credentials.

What more would you want from a small South Island stud at a $3,000 service fee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, La Zip said:

Why? 

First of all, standing an ordinary son of Fastnet Rock is just  nonsensical.  Regardless, of his breeding (he is out of a Galileo mare, the most successful cross with FR), confirmation (he is bound to have great confirmation) injury or racetrack performance, why would you?  As I keep reminding people, its taken until the 2018 breeding season for Coolmore to actually stand a son of their "champion" sire....so that in itself is a key indicator of the level of performances to date at stud for well bred, well performed sons of FR. ???????

 

 

I thought I had seen some insane comments on this forum in the past but this takes the cake. No one with any idea of breeding or racing would bag a G2 winning son of Fastnet going to stud.

Based on Arions results in Aus there are 10 sons of FR at stud which have had runners. With FR's oldest 'grandchildren' being 5YO's no less than 5 of the 10 have sired G1 winners and 3 more have sired SW's. So thats 80% of his sire sons with runners already proving themselves as superior to the norm.

I would say MF is a real chance could well be another Highly Recommended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fitzy said:

I thought I had seen some insane comments on this forum in the past but this takes the cake. No one with any idea of breeding or racing would bag a G2 winning son of Fastnet going to stud.

Based on Arions results in Aus there are 10 sons of FR at stud which have had runners. With FR's oldest 'grandchildren' being 5YO's no less than 5 of the 10 have sired G1 winners and 3 more have sired SW's. So thats 80% of his sire sons with runners already proving themselves as superior to the norm.

I would say MF is a real chance could well be another Highly Recommended.

Agree , he is certainly worth a go.

Hinchinbrook and Rothersay both doing ok in Aus. and besides he is standing for $3k and is bound to get someone a winner and make them very happy in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you had a mare in the South island then Mongolian Falcon is certainly worth a go.

Check out the good horses he beat by 5 lengths in the Hawkes Bay Guineas.

Berri is talking about a very nice horse indeed. Not a Juddmonte horse. Tail line number one family. No duplication's in his first five removes. Great for NZ.

Video of Mongolian Falcon.

http://www.nzracing.co.nz/Common/SystemTemplates/Modal/Video.aspx?v=http%3a%2f%2fwww.racingreplays.co.nz%2fmedia%2f201610%2f20161001HAWK06_BB.mp4&i=%2fCommon%2fImage.ashx%3fw%3d720%26h%3d400%26a%3d1%26o%3d1%26bg%3deeeeee%26p%3dhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.racingreplays.co.nz%2fmedia%2f201610%2f20161001HAWK06_BB.jpg&r=Race+6+-+SACRED+FALLS+HAWKE’S+BAY+GUINEAS&s=http://www.nzracing.co.nz/Common/SystemTemplates/Modal/Video.aspx?v=http%3a%2f%2fwww.racingreplays.co.nz%2fmedia%2f201610%2f20161001HAWK06_BB.mp4

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fitzy said:

I thought I had seen some insane comments on this forum in the past but this takes the cake. No one with any idea of breeding or racing would bag a G2 winning son of Fastnet going to stud.

Based on Arions results in Aus there are 10 sons of FR at stud which have had runners. With FR's oldest 'grandchildren' being 5YO's no less than 5 of the 10 have sired G1 winners and 3 more have sired SW's. So thats 80% of his sire sons with runners already proving themselves as superior to the norm.

I would say MF is a real chance could well be another Highly Recommended.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion Fitzy,  but at my last analyst's check up,  I was found to be of sound mind.

I think you are taking the conquests of sons of FR out of context.  The only one worth anything is Hinchinbrook....and I would think he gets his prepotency from his female line as he is a half to Snitzel....Foxwedge horses are on the smallish side in general and for the fee /hype he has been disappointing...Smart Missile (loved him as a racehorse) has had tremendous support at Arrowfield yet he has been moved on this year. If ever a horse was due to "make it" at stud, it is Smart Missile - young, precocious and from one of the best families in the stud book. but Arrowfield have said "ciao"... Highly Recommended...hard to say as he has had only NZ performers and his best one was shipped out to HKG...Rock 'n' Pop - well performed, beautifully bred with access to some great mares at Waikato...very little success....

 Stryker and Wanted are hardly household names...Rothesay, a beautifully bred horse and not too badly performed,  is a good bread and butter stallion in QLD. And it is only in 2018 that Coolmore (people who know how to make REAL money and have had entre to every FR colt) have "found" the right FR horse to stand at stud....for around $A27M...so that is what I base my judgement on.

They just haven't been able to reach the heights given the hype and spin and price... FR is a great filly sire, I don't think his sons are the answer to NZ woes...

I wish the people all the best....its an herculean task they have taken on....but I think there better options....and I think the last thing we all want to see is horses having a purpose.   The programming in the SI is hideous...and its not going to get any better in the short to mid term...so if you are going to breed, think carefully....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BruceL said:

At a cheap fee for a smallish stud in the South Island he’s got reasonable credentials. Even if sons of Fastnet Rock havent set the world on fire.

Good international family (Galileo/Gone West/Phone Trick) in the damlines, was a winner at 2 and an impressive G2 winner at 3 with the 2nd and 3rd placegetters both being G1 winners and ran a good 2nd in a G2 behind a G1 winner.

Fastnet Rock has been a champion sire himself with 136 stakeswinners and  has produced sons that have sired G1 winners in Hinchinbrook and Foxwedge, and Highly Recommended has done a very handy job from the South Island from a low fee, so some credentials.

What more would you want from a small South Island stud at a $3,000 service fee?

I wouldn't breed my mare in current industry circumstances to an unproven son of FR...as I have mentioned elsewhere....programming in the SI is poor, and don't think its going to get any better in the short to mid term....so why would you do it?  Just my opinion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, La Zip said:

I wouldn't breed my mare in current industry circumstances to an unproven son of FR...as I have mentioned elsewhere....programming in the SI is poor, and don't think its going to get any better in the short to mid term....so why would you do it?  Just my opinion...

We arent talking about a high profile stallion entering a major stud here! , and im not advocating he would be a success at all , just applauding that breeders have an opportunity on a cheap stallion that has some credentials.

No mention of South Island programming/racing etc, conpletely different topic.

A group winning son of Fastnet Rock out of a Galileo mare from a good family that has form around true G1 horses.

He is standing for $3,000 in the South Island!, South Island breeders dont have access to high profile stallions and are unlikely to, this guy gives a good option at the price especially for breed to racers.

It’s a good thing for the breeders that these options are standing in the South Island, choice is good for breeders and after the initial success from standing in the South Island of Highly Recommended , this new stallion may have some appeal to some.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now